Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft Thread

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Guys on Sportsnet think Yzerman could target Serge with an OS
Yzerman didn't offer sheet guys with TB.

It seems like a poor use of assets as Detroit needs to build. They'd be giving up draft picks (and handing them over to Al Murray of all people) in order to bypass the time to do it right. Yzerman also doesn't like risk, and it'd be unsporting to just try to jam up the works for the Lightning, expecting them to flinch.

I think Jeff Marek is conflating ruthlessness with aggression, and Yzerman isn't technically 'aggressive'. We've had to wait months for relatively simple seeming moves, but they've been the right ones.

He'd also open himself up to getting absolutely reamed by us down the line when the shoe is on his foot.

There's enough deals still out there that an offer sheet shouldn't be an issue yet.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yzerman didn't offer sheet guys with TB.

It seems like a poor use of assets as Detroit needs to build. They'd be giving up draft picks (and handing them over to Al Murray of all people) in order to bypass the time to do it right. Yzerman also doesn't like risk, and it'd be unsporting to just try to jam up the works for the Lightning, expecting them to flinch.

I think Jeff Marek is conflating ruthlessness with aggression, and Yzerman isn't technically 'aggressive'. We've had to wait months for relatively simple seeming moves, but they've been the right ones.

He'd also open himself up to getting absolutely reamed by us down the line when the shoe is on his foot.

There's enough deals still out there that an offer sheet shouldn't be an issue yet.
Lol I'll take Detroit's first.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I feel like we’d get a lot more than just a first for either of those guys, especially if we could work out a sign and trade.

Now that we’re Cup champions, IDGAF who goes.

Herman, Braden, Koocherov, Pallet, Stampkos and Vasulevsky are my untouchables.

edit: I didn’t see an off season thread, so apologies if I shouldn’t have posted roster talk here.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Right now our first pick (for now) is at #62. Looking back at Bob McKenzie's rankings, just to throw out a name, he has a 6'4" Finnish dman - Joni Jurmo ranked 60th. He's an offensive puck moving dman who can really get up the ice and go. He says he models his game after Miro Heiskanen.

Craig Button says: "Good skating defenceman who likes to get into the offensive play. Good range with good puck skills and is confident with the puck. Improvement has been very good and has good potential."

Jurmo is a bit raw, but Button believes he can put it all together like former 3rd rounder Esa Lindell. "I think for Joni, a lot of it was similar for Esa in the sense of it's just going to take time for everything to come together. From the time I've watched Joni at 16 til now, I've been pretty impressed with his progress. When I look at the playoffs and I look at NHL teams, defenseman like him I think become really valuable."

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Throwing out another name as I try to familiarize myself with some of these players is 6'4" goaltender Nico Daws. Bob has him ranked 64th, but he's also the 2nd ranked goalie on Bob's list behind Askarov. Daws plays for Guelph and was named OHL Goaltender of the year this past season. In the OHL coaches poll he was voted Most Improved player, Best Puckhandling Goaltender, and second-best Shootout Goaltender. He's 19 years old and turns 20 in December. He was passed over in last years draft, but he had a big year which has not only put him on scouts radar but got him on Canada's WJC gold medal winning team last winter. Daws has duel German and Canadian citizenship, but was the back up for Joel Hofer on Team Canada.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

USA Hockey has invited 39 players to its 2021 U.S. National Junior Team Evaluation Camp that will be held from Oct. 8-13 in Plymouth, Michigan, at USA Hockey Arena.

Two 2020 draft eligible players invited to this camp who could be available by pick #62 are defenseman Brock Faber and forward Brett Berard.

Faber is a 6'0" right shot dman. Bob McKenzie has him ranked 56. Craig Button says he's a "skating defenceman who has shown a penchant for jumping into the offensive attack. Has become a really solid defender using his skating to close on opponents, beat pressure and in transition." His head coach at the US NTDP adds, "he absolutely eats up opposing teams’ top lines. Brock gets the hard assignments. He’s miserable to play against, and he loves it."

Faber, who just turned 18 on Aug. 22nd, will join fellow Minnesota native Sammy Walker this season at the University of Minnesota.

Brett Berard is another player from the US NTDP. He's a 5'9" 155 left winger. Bob has him ranked 68th. Berard was 2nd in goals & 3rd in points for the NTDP U-18 team with 16 goals & 34 points in 41 games. According to his head coach, Berard has a "feisty side," and is a fan of how Brad Marchand plays.

Berard turned 18 this past month and will play for his home state at Providence in 2020-21 with bolt prospect Max Crozier.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's more likely Yzerman tracks down Anders Lindback than he gives up picks for Sergachev. Detroit is still a few tanks and a franchise player away from being ready to take a step forward.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think it's more likely Yzerman tracks down Anders Lindback than he gives up picks for Sergachev. Detroit is still a few tanks and a franchise player away from being ready to take a step forward.

If Detroit offers #4 for Sergachev do you take it? Not that I'm expecting it but good God that would make me sit and think for a while

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Detroit offers #4 for Sergachev do you take it? Not that I'm expecting it but good God that would make me sit and think for a while

Sergachev is untouchable IMO. Cirelli is a different matter, because we have Steven Stamkos coming back to replace him if need be. But we should do everything we can to keep this top-4 D together for a few more runs.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I don’t know why Detroit wouldn’t just take one of Drysdale or Sanderson at #4 if they want an elite dman prospect. And if Drysdale goes before then, that means one of Stutzle or Byfield falls in their lap. I have to think they’ll hold onto that pick.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Sergachev is untouchable IMO. Cirelli is a different matter, because we have Steven Stamkos coming back to replace him if need be. But we should do everything we can to keep this top-4 D together for a few more runs.

I don't think we should count into Stamkos coming back as a sure thing. Also, his freak injury history scares me away of not having Cirelli back

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don’t know why Detroit wouldn’t just take one of Drysdale or Sanderson at #4 if they want an elite dman prospect. And if Drysdale goes before then, that means one of Stutzle or Byfield falls in their lap. I have to think they’ll hold onto that pick.

Fair enough about the Wings but the Sens may very well take a flyer at #5. That's still a hard choice because it'll be cost controlled asset and still a great player to replace Serg.

But I digress to JFBB

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Detroit needs to take Perfetti at 4. They need another top 6 C. Not sold on Valeno and Rasmussen as that guy so they can be moved to the wings or one a 3C. They have two good young D already both on the right which is harder to find then on the left. They really need to keep taking on trash till the Nielson and Abdelkader deals expire. I wanted take all draft picks they need to snag some prospects in those type of deals as well. I would also look to move Bertuzzi and Mantha in a year or two. I don't think their age lines up with their window and they can get a big return on both. Try to move them for a teams top LD prospect or RW prospect. They'll be a fun team to rebuild along with Ottawa and Arizona on NHL 21.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING
Top priority:
Defensemen depth
Possible fits: Tyler Kleven, D, USA U-18 (NTDP); Topi Niemela, D, Karpat (FIN); Mitchell Miller, D, Tri-City (USHL)

Tyler Kleven is another Dman from the USNTDP. He was Faber’s D-partner on the U-18 team, but unlike Faber, he did not get an invite to their evaluation camp next week. Bob McKenzie does have him ranked higher than Faber. His mid-season ranking had him at #30 and his final ranking in May had him at #36. He's a 6'4" defensive dman. Craig Button says he's a "very competitive defenceman who will take opponents out of their space and defend ferociously. Good, effective puck mover and he gets play moving from defensive zone well." He's slated to play for the University of North Dakota this year.

Topi Niemela is a 5'10" 156 righty defenseman. He's been playing above his age group the past few years. He was the only 2002 born dman to play on Finland's 2019 U-18 WC team and this past season he played 43 games for Karpat in the Liiga. Bob has him ranked 38th and Button says "his game seems to be weighted towards being an offensive-type player. Good deception along with puck skills allows him to make plays that create offensive opportunities."

Mitchell Miller, a 5'11" dman, will join Kleven at UND. While not apart of the USNTDP, he did receive an invite to their evaluation camp. He had 33pts in 44 USHL games and was a 1st team all star last season. McKenzie doesn't have Miller on his top 100 list. NHL Central Scouting has him as the 49th ranked player from North America.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I don't think we're taking a sub-6' Dman. Just doesn't seem to fit any moves that this team has ever made. DeAngelo is the only guy sub 6' I can think of that we took, but he had an absolutely rare skillset.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I don't think we're taking a sub-6' Dman. Just doesn't seem to fit any moves that this team has ever made. DeAngelo is the only guy sub 6' I can think of that we took, but he had an absolutely rare skillset.
Nesterov and Zuhlsdorf were both 5'11" guys and although we didn't draft him Anton Stralman is another at 5'11" too. But yeah we definitely have a size & type of dman that we heavily prefer. I'd think though, that if we liked a good prospect in front of us enough, we'd take it, even if he didn't fit the mold.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Nesterov and Zuhlsdorf were both 5'11" guys and although we didn't draft him Anton Stralman is another at 5'11" too. But yeah we definitely have a size & type of dman that we heavily prefer. I'd think though, that if we liked a good prospect in front of us enough, we'd take it, even if he didn't fit the mold.
Oh yeah it's not impossible - but it has to be the right player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->