Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft Thread

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Can we just take a minute to appreciate that the Chicago-Edmonton series is going to make the loser eligible for 1st overall?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
In other words Oilers will ice a line of Lafreniere, McDavid and Draisaitl next season.
Don't discount Montreal eliminating the Pens on their Cinderella run this year to like the ECF, because that would cause the most long-term chaos.

The Jackets will beat the Leafs, but of course there's no chance of that #1 pick going to Toronto.

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The author has a certain perspective, but the data is interesting.

I'll have to take some time tonight and read this but anytime this comes up, there are just a few factors that are hard to blame on bias - socioeconomic factors (i.e. hockey is f***ing expensive and there is still disparity between races and sexes on the pay scale), cultural influence (among certain cultures and races, hockey just doesn't even get on the radar), and thats before you really touch on other big issues with hockey like ice availability in areas like Florida. Thanks for posting it.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
The author has a certain perspective, but the data is interesting.

I am Fijian-Indian by descent, born and raised in Canada. And this article legitimately makes me angry. Not because, while its true, the NHL doesn't have a lot of diversity. It's not a big issue that it doesn't. Hockey is very expensive to play, immigrant families even in Canada will put their kids in sports in this order:

1) Sport popular in the home country.
2) Cheaper sport that requires less effort.
3) Popular sport in America.
4) Hockey and Lacrosse.

In the States, especially in places like California, Texas, Florida, etc...why would any kid want to play hockey over Baseball, Football, Soccer, Basketball, hell even Golf?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
So I didn't take the time to really read in depth on everything but from skimming it, it seems to be talking more about the lack of the black centers in particular compared to the other positions they play (drawing a comparison to the lack of black quarterbacks in the NFL) as well as the way coaches and scouts perceive them, which is certainly interesting in itself.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Refrigerate the Rangers ball and bump it on the side of the barrel.

ooh he dropped it early. That's how it gets the dent.

edit: I was just meme'ing!

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Toronto's first round pick now goes to Carolina because it's not a top-10 pick.

They probably should have used golf balls.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Cape Breton

CB is a bit more exciting with draft prospects. Ivan Ivan and Ryan Francis are both Eagles, although neither are playing.

Nathan Larose is in. He went to STL camp before this season began, although he's an undrafted 19-year-old. He also scored 17 goals in 51 games as a defenseman this year. Maybe someone picks him in a later round.

Jordan Spence on Moncton is an LA prospect.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
12 pm Eastern (Atlantic time is one hour ahead)

Notable 2020 draft prospects in for Cape Breton:
G William Grimard (#12 NA goalies)
F 24 Ryan Francis (#55 NA skaters)
D 4 Nathan Larose (unselected draft+ player)

Notables for Saint John
D 54 Jeremie Poirier (#18 NA skaters)
D 13 William Villeneuve (#99 NA skaters)
D 58 Charlie Desroches (#179 NA skaters)
F 12 Brady Burns (#207 NA skaters)
F 18 Josh Lawrence (unranked)

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
As the poet DJ Khaled would say. "Another one."

Moncton v Acadie-Bathurst

Titan

Not a lot here for 2020 since Bednar isn't playing. Look to 2021.
C 42 Cole Huckins (Ryan Malone's cousin)
C 24 Riley Kidney

Same basic deal. Spence is good, but already drafted and signed by LA.

D 25 Sean Stewart (unranked)

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
2 pm ET game between Acadie-Bathurst and Charlottetown

European players seem to be unable to get to their Q clubs yet, so don't expect Jan Bednar (#2 EU goalies). See yesterday's post for Bathurst.

Charlottetown is a bit better. D 51 Lukas Cormier seems to be headed for right around TB's first pick. #32 NA skaters, #49 Bob McKenzie, #58 McKeen's, etc. He doesn't have the size that TB likes to draft on defense however.

C-town also has a 2021 prospect D 7 Oscar Plandowski (TB amateur scouting is familiar with this guy.) Plandowski and C 18 Justin Gill seem to be the '21 guys to look at in the coming months.

edit: I read some reports and watched some clips of Cormier. He's not really my type of player. We've also got Hedman, McD, and Serg on LD already and Cormier seems like a PP guy. It reads like he's a left-handed Shattenkirk (good and bad), but shorter.

Last edited:
Reactions: CupsOverCash

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I can't believe that LA is settling for second place, but whatevs.

They're pretty clearly going to take Stutzle. The Kings owners also own Eisbaren Berlin in the DEL, the league where Tim Stutzle plays. I don't think it'll be a direction from ownership to take him, but LA would probably feel with their connections in Berlin, they have a fuller picture on him than anyone. Germany isn't as thoroughly scouted as the usual spots either.

LA just loaned a bunch of guys to Berlin yesterday.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Last day for pre-season games in the Q. 3 pm EDT start

For Halifax:
F 66 Zach L'Heureux is looking like a top prospect for 2021.
D 17 Cameron Whynot is a promising 2021.

No Barron or Peeters. (both 2020's)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad