2020 Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Lukas Reichel has scored his 2nd goal of the DEL season, Berlin's only goal. Germany is having quite a year, with three prospects playing full time with their big teams.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just got done watching an Oshawa game from last week, wow was I impressed with both of McShane's linemates, especially the Finn Oliver Suni, really hope others that get to see their games throughout the season can provide update on him and Tyler Tullio. They also had a 16 year old that impressed, Brett Harrison. But it was Suni that really stood out as the best player on the ice for either team.

The Steelheads had one defensemen that stood out, Ole Bjorgvik-Holm but I didn't pay as much attention to him. Good frame, skating, mobility.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm still not convinced that Oksentyuk has what it takes to be an NHLer, but if he does, he surely will be one. He was absolutely everywhere in the game against Guelph, after starting his OHL career with a 4 game point streak. He extended it to 5 with a goal and an assist. He looked better than Hillis who continues to be a nothing burger.

2020 eligible Evan Vierling plays on his line. He's a plus skater, decent sized kid, with extremely good hands. A bit of a pass first player.

It's just too bad that Chayka is a 2021 eligible.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Holtz vs Gunler in 45 minutes. If you're not watching, you're not scouting Sweden.

Holtz scores his 3rd of the season on a wide net drive, tapped in a nice pass from the opposite side winger. The rest of that particular shift was pretty rough for him, though.

Gunler is riding the pine, unfortunately.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I was in Krefeld to watch Stützle yesterday and he tried his best to make wrestling with the shitty german regional trains worth it. He finished the game with the game winning goal and an assist on the powerplay. His goal was a thing of beauty. It starts at 1:25. He first creates a dangerous shooting opportunity for his linemate, Ben Smith, with a brilliant pass. Nothing comes of it, so he follows the play into the high slot and goes far side post.

By rights, he should have had another assist, but as you see in the highlights, Smith couldn't bury the chance.

Tim's passing is absolutely first rate. Lafrenière is better than him in this regard in this draft class, but I don't see who else. He's consistently able to feed passes through heavy traffic to create dangerous scoring chances. He's all DEL defences can handle on the left half wall.

His shot is average. Useable. He's primarily an inside foot shooter but he's able to shoot off of both feet as his goal demonstrates. In his first few DEL games I found him unwilling to shoot, but that's not really the case anymore.

Off the rush he's not much of a threat so far. One time he was able to make a nice outside in move to get to the inside, but nothing much came of it. There's little ''Kovalchuk'' to his game. He's at his most dangerous on the cycle, or in an otherwise fairly established in-zone situation. He's money on the powerplay.

Reactions: atrud66

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Got to see a little of Maxim Groshev as he's teammates with Khisamutdinov, don't know much about him but he had a solid frame and had some good work along the boards, will keep an eye out for him in future games as I only got to see some of the 3rd due to the 5:30 AM start time. He's a late B-day like Scherbak, if he was born 18 days later he would be in the '21 draft.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
There's a decent-sized jewish community in Sweden ?

There are a few but not many in this region, there are otoh a lot of what is called "free churches" that are protestant in Småland that use names like Zion. When I grew up we used to jokingly call the largest city (Jönköping) in that region Sweden's Jerusalem and not because a lot of Jewish people lived there, they are also known to have tight pockets. If you watch the excellent Swedish film called the Emigrants, all the people that emigrate to the US in that film came from there.That is where HV71 plays in the SEL, name came after 2 second division teams merged (Husqvarna and Vätterstad) and they did it in 1971. They used to be in the same division as my hometown team. While my hometown team continues to dwell there HV71 became a top team in SEL, that region even got another team in the SEL that used to be in division 3 but now known as Växjö Lakers where EP40 broke some records in his last SEL season.

Sorry for the long reply :)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
There are a few but not many in this region, there are otoh a lot of what is called "free churches" that are protestant in Småland that use names like Zion. When I grew up we used to jokingly call the largest city (Jönköping) in that region Sweden's Jerusalem and not because a lot of Jewish people lived there, they are also known to have tight pockets. If you watch the excellent Swedish film called the Emigrants, all the people that emigrate to the US in that film came from there.That is where HV71 plays in the SEL, name came after 2 second division teams merged (Husqvarna and Vätterstad) and they did it in 1971. They used to be in the same division as my hometown team. While my hometown team continues to dwell there HV71 became a top team in SEL, that region even got another team in the SEL that used to be in division 3 but now known as Växjö Lakers where EP40 broke some records in his last SEL season.

Your cool facts are always welcome here, Per.

Am I thinking of a different team than Växjö when I remember that there was a team that was re-started by local fans of a team that went under in division 4, that worked its way up to the SHL championship?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Not at all, thank YOU for educating me on a subject I don't know much about ! I assumed Jewish since Zion is more commonly used within that community but you're right, it's not exclusively a Jewish name ( hence Zion Williamson from the NBA, for example) .

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Your cool facts are always welcome here, Per.

Am I thinking of a different team than Växjö when I remember that there was a team that was re-started by local fans of a team that went under in division 4, that worked its way up to the SHL championship?

You are correct it's the same team, the original team was called Växjö HC and they busted while in division 4, they reappeared as Växjö Lakers in the late 90s in division 4 which was actually division 5 since Hockeyallsvenskan is division 2. They reached Hockeyallsvenskan pretty fast (6 or 7 years), then they they were in 3 successive playoffs for the Elitserien and they came up on their 3rd try in the 2011-2012 season, after that they have won 2 championships and have established themselves as a top team.

Reactions: NotProkofievian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad