2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Concord, Massachusetts native Ian Moore was drafted by the USHL’s Chicago Steel and the QMJHL’s Drummondville Voltigeurs, but he opted to continue to play high school hockey for St. Mark’s. The defender put up 12 goals and 34 assists for 46 points in just 28 games with the team and was named to the USHS First Team All-New England Team (East). He also appeared in one game for the US National Team Development Program. Moore also played two games for the Boston Jr. Bruins in the NCDC, as well as 10 games for the Boston Little Bruins in the EHF Under-18. He scored six goals and five assists for 11 points. Moore played for Team Kelly at the USA Hockey S-17 Selection Camp. He put up one goal in five games.

Moore also spent the 2017-18 season with St. Mark’s. He put up 16 goals and 20 assists for 36 points in 31 games. Moore has indicated that he will play for the Steel in the USHL next year. He will then move up to NCAA Hockey, where he is expected to join the Harvard Crimson for the 2021-22 season.

Our report
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/07/01/ian-moore-scouting-report/

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
A lot of people in this thread seem to have Holtz ahead of Raymond. I dont get that. Raymond is better IMO.

I think there is a general feeling that the habs need help NOW.
There is a 2nd general feeling about our lack of development success.

Thus as a community, we tend to like guys who are close to NHL ready.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I like Holtz more than Raymond and it has little to do with who’s closer. But that’s part of it.

Holtz plays an NHL style of game, and has an NHL frame. He also has an NHL shot. He can snipe on an NHL PP and take the puck to the net on NHL D.

Raymond on the other hand is a perimeter playmaker. He needs space and stays away from traffic and that’s why he doesn’t finish often.

to me, Holtz is just the guy who you can plug into this lineup- if not next year the year after- and he will add size and goal scoring to the top six.

Raymond might have the “potential” to be a true play driver, but he also could be another Drouin.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Raymond reminds me a lot of Elias Lindholm, a player that’s quite skilled but took a long time to be a star in the NHL and a player that needs to be surrounded by the right players.

If we draft him I’m expecting him to struggle for the first couple of seasons.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Noah Hanifin strikes me as an example wherein the ideal of the player is superior to the player himself.

He was rushed to the NHL by a desperate team. He should have gone back to Boston College for a 2nd season. Provorov and Werenski were also drafted in 2015 and went back for another year of development. Now they are top defencemen.

Locks

May 28, 2005
Raymond reminds me a lot of Elias Lindholm, a player that’s quite skilled but took a long time to be a star in the NHL and a player that needs to be surrounded by the right players.

If we draft him I’m expecting him to struggle for the first couple of seasons.

I saw E. Lindholm at that stage and it is a very different case than Raymond. Lindholm had great hands, shot and solid size but he really lacked in the IQ department that's why it took him so long to reach his potential as well as the opportunity to play with people who can really complement his game IMO . For Raymond, hockey sense is one of his top qualities along with skating and hands. Hence, for Raymond physical development will be a key factor in how fast he reaches his potential.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With Raymond and Holtz it's interesting that they are the 2 highest scoring U-17 players in J-20's history, although before them the all time leader was Collberg so it just shows that you don't know who will continue to progress and who will peak at a young age.

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
I like Holtz more than Raymond and it has little to do with who’s closer. But that’s part of it.

Holtz plays an NHL style of game, and has an NHL frame. He also has an NHL shot. He can snipe on an NHL PP and take the puck to the net on NHL D.

Raymond on the other hand is a perimeter playmaker. He needs space and stays away from traffic and that’s why he doesn’t finish often.

to me, Holtz is just the guy who you can plug into this lineup- if not next year the year after- and he will add size and goal scoring to the top six.

Raymond might have the “potential” to be a true play driver, but he also could be another Drouin.

That's also exactly why I'm not that fond of Raymond. Perfetti seems to be sticked with the same gamble. I'd go for Holtz or Rossi before Raymond and Perfetti.
Unpopular, but I prefer Quinn and Jarvis over Raymond as well. I absolutely love Jarvis, although I feel he'd have about the same inpact as Suzuki. Except the part where he keeps the play at a high speed pace, he reminds me of him a lot. Similar size and stats as well.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
That's also exactly why I'm not that fond of Raymond. Perfetti seems to be sticked with the same gamble. I'd go for Holtz or Rossi before Raymond and Perfetti.
Unpopular, but I prefer Quinn and Jarvis over Raymond as well. I absolutely love Jarvis, although I feel he'd have about the same inpact as Suzuki. Except the part where he keeps the play at a high speed pace, he reminds me of him a lot. Similar size and stats as well.
He is smaller than Suzuki - I think Perfetti size and skills are a lot more comparable. Jarvis I like, great speed and skill and could end up like a Barzal but being small could potentially end up not having the same impact. If his skill translates could be a real star.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I totally expect the Habs to draft Ronan Seeley with one of their early 2nds if still available, Seeley is a very solid all around defenseman that can contribute several ways, he is smart, good skater, good gap control good puck skills, well balanced and is better offensively than his offensive numbers shows... I think Seeley is going to be the highest value pick at that point of the draft...

I could see a kid like Tristen Robins being the other pick, kid looks like a more skilled Gallagher...

With the St-louis pick, maybe a kid like Theodor Niederbach if still there... Then a kid like Ovchinnikov in the third round...

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I totally expect the Habs to draft Ronan Seeley with one of their early 2nds if still available, Seeley is a very solid all around defenseman that can contribute several ways, he is smart, good skater, good gap control good puck skills, well balanced and is better offensively than his offensive numbers shows... I think Seeley is going to be the highest value pick at that point of the draft...

I could see a kid like Tristen Robins being the other pick, kid looks like a more skilled Gallagher...

With the St-louis pick, maybe a kid like Theodor Niederbach if still there... Then a kid like Ovchinnikov in the third round...

Seeley plays in Everett, no ?

Their system is defense 1st, 2nd and 3rd

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Perfetti is a lot closer to Suzuki than Jarvis

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
I can see Bergevin looking to bulk up the wings in the second round & with skating being something they are always looking for, I can see them grabbing one of, if not both with the early picks;

Sam Colangelo;
SCOUTING REPORT: POWERFUL SKATER WHO IS ELUSIVE WITH THE PUCK. POSSESSES AN EXCELLENT SHOT WITH A QUICK RELEASE. PURE GOAL SCORER WHO IS A THREAT FROM ANYWHERE IN THE ATTACKING ZONE. Ranked 31 N/A

and/or

Luke Tuch;
SCOUTING REPORT: POWERFUL SKATER WHO IS PHYSICAL IN TRAFFIC. VERY GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF THE GAME IN ALL ZONES. EXCELLENT PASSER OFF THE RUSH WHO CAN ALSO FIRE THE PUCK WITH AN ELUSIVE RELEASE. PLAYS A COMPLETE 200-FOOT GAME. Ranked 40 N/A

With the 60th pick in the second round, I like either;

Ian Moore;
LED NEW ENGLAND PREP HOCKEY DEFENSEMEN WITH 12-34—46 IN 28 GP FOR ST. MARK’S SCHOOL IN 2019-20, COMMITTED TO HARVARD UNIVERSITY FOR THE 2021-22 SEASON

or

Joni Jurmo;
NAMED BEST DEFENSEMAN AND A FIRST TEAM ALL-STAR IN FINLAND’S UNDER-18 LEAGUE IN 2018-19 AFTER RECORDING 3-20—23 IN 42 GP

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

How many 6’0 LD do the Habs need in the system? I’d be using those 2nds for other pieces.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Holtz also just spent an entire season playing vs much tougher competition than Raymond did

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
How many 6’0 LD do the Habs need in the system? I’d be using those 2nds for other pieces.

Adding quality assets give you the opportunity to trade for need at some point when your team is only few players away from being a contender... Thats what Tampa did at some point trading some kids for a guy like J.T Miller...

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Is it weird that I'm starting to like Perfetti more than the Sweedes? Perfetti was essentially a no draft in the top 10 for me early on, but the kid's offensive game is top 3 in the draft in my opinion after watching him and doing my research. Smarts and skills can get you far, and I think he can improve his athleticism in a Suzuki-like fashion.

Reactions: Ewen and CHarlie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad