2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Only Lafreniere fits that bill. Others have the potential to become that but they are not that right now.

Most draft have 3-4 already elite players or 1 year from being elite. This draft has 1.
This draft isnt different than most drafts in that regard... Only Lafreniere has the potential to have a major impact right away, true, but I could see Byfield and a couple of players having solid NHL seasons in their D+2, especially Byfield, Stutzle and Drysdale...

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I think if we get into the top 6-7 range things could be very nice. Then you're adding one of Raymond, Drysdale, Holtz in all likelihood. Any one of those players would be a great add, likely in their D+1 or D+2 year.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Something occured to me : with our potential rank (drafting around 5-12) and Gunler, Holtz, Raymond... it's very possible we draft a Swede in the 1st round, a thing the Canadiens never did since 1981. Can you tell me the name of that forward drafted 19th overall in 1981?

Reactions: David Suzuki

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Does anyone have a guy they really like who's supposed to go around 10-14?

I need some names to get excited about, but I've got a feeling Price getting hot + returning injured players won't let us get in the top 10 by the end of the year.

We need a Barzal like steal.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Does anyone have a guy they really like who's supposed to go around 10-14?

I need some names to get excited about, but I've got a feeling Price getting hot + returning injured players won't let us get in the top 10 by the end of the year.

We need a Barzal like steal.
Mercer and Holloway in the 10-15 range...

Right now at 7, Lundell all the way...

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Ponomarev in the 2nd? Or he could be gone in late 1st?
Probably end of the first round, very skilled but his all around game needs refinement, could become an homerun pick... People looking at the next Kucherov, Ponomarev could be this guy if properly developed, I expect him late first, but we never know, fingers crossed that he drops tu us early 2nd... I would trade up for this kid personally, too much offensive potential...

Reactions: Takeru

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Something occured to me : with our potential rank (drafting around 5-12) and Gunler, Holtz, Raymond... it's very possible we draft a Swede in the 1st round, a thing the Canadiens never did since 1981. Can you tell me the name of that forward drafted 19th overall in 1981?
First name Jan...

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
This draft isnt different than most drafts in that regard... Only Lafreniere has the potential to have a major impact right away, true, but I could see Byfield and a couple of players having solid NHL seasons in their D+2, especially Byfield, Stutzle and Drysdale...

It is different, as it is weaker. Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale are all 3 years away imo. Raymond might be the only one close-r to Lafreniere.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
CHL top prospects game tonight on Sportsnet… players I'll particularly watch;

Team White; Connor Zary, Cole Perfetti, Alexis Lafreniere

Team Red; Dawson Mercer, Jack Quinn, Marco Rossi, Quinton Byfield, Anton Lundell, Jamie Drysdale

Should be a really good game but I think team Red wins...

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Marco Rossi and Cole Perfetti look real good through the first period in the prospects game.... though Lafrenière remains still the best of the group.
Great shot by Jérémie Poirier.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
CHL top prospects game tonight on Sportsnet… players I'll particularly watch;

Team White; Connor Zary, Cole Perfetti, Alexis Lafreniere

Team Red; Dawson Mercer, Jack Quinn, Marco Rossi, Quinton Byfield, Anton Lundell, Jamie Drysdale

Should be a really good game but I think team Red wins...

He looks quite invisible so far tonight... ;)

Quick notes after 1: Mavrik Bourque looking pretty good out there, his stock should raise a bit... Byfield looking tentative with the puck, he overstickhandled it a couple of times... Rossi, okay, kid is a player, would still draft Lundell over him, but he looks like a smaller Sebastian Aho out there... Lafreniere a man against boys, scored but the play was called offside after review... Not really impressed with Drysdale so far... Thats about it for now...

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
A few good potential second round. picks..Jack Quinn or Tyson Foerster.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
A few good potential second picks...Jack Quinn or Tyson Foerster.
Jack Quinn is projected around 20 on a couple of lists, highly doubt he drops 2nd round...

Starting to think Stutzle over Byfield at this point, Byfield has alot of disconnected moments, timing is off too much for my taste... Still pretty young and bigger players take a bit longer to develop, but still, you want to see much more froma potential 2nd overall pick...

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Jack Quinn is projected around 20 on a couple of lists, highly doubt he drops 2nd round...

Starting to think Stutzle over Byfield at this point, Byfield has alot of disconnected moments, timing is off too much for my taste... Still pretty young and bigger players take a bit longer to develop, but still, you want to see much more froma potential 2nd overall pick...

Yes.... Stutzle is more energetic and elite than Byfield.... Stutzle moved up to my second pick overall.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I really like Greig's game. Caught my eyes at the Hlinka. Great worker, edge work, IQ and shot. He is pretty shifty too.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Perfetti's offensive instincts are ridiculous, easily one of the most gifted players in the draft, skating agility is quite fine, needs to improve his speed, but thats not an issue to me going foward, kind of reminds me of Suzuki at the same age...

I knew Mavrik Bourque was very good since I watched him play a couple of times in the last 2 years, but tonight he displayed his skills against the best of his age group and clearly was a stand out to me, also, they just mentioned he was a huge Habs fan, so come on Timmins, lets draft that french kid!

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I love how Sportsnet is trying their best to pump Byfield's tires.

"He showed great stick work" showing a clip where he lost the puck but they cut the video before that happened.

"Lafreniere and Byfield both helped their team but not to the level that was expected ". While this is true, Lafreniere made quality plays all game long while Byfield was pretty invisible.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I love how Sportsnet is trying their best to pump Byfield's tires.

"He showed great stick work" showing a clip where he lost the puck but they cut the video before that happened.

"Lafreniere and Byfield both helped their team but not to the level that was expected ". While this is true, Lafreniere made quality plays all game long while Byfield was pretty invisible.
TBH, I was expecting a huge game from Byfield after a bad WJC tournament and he was a total non factor, alot of jerks in his game again tonight...

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
If Bergevin can get us another 1st in the 20-30 range, I would go nuts if we end up drafting one of Peterka, Mercer, Bourque or Ponomarev... There is still the possibility that Ponomarev drops early 2nd though...

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
TBH, I was expecting a huge game from Byfield after a bad WJC tournament and he was a total non factor, alot of jerks in his game again tonight...

I've watched over 15 games of his and I just can't rank him at no2. He is big, skates well and puts up a lot of points in the very high scoring OHL. I don't think I saw any dominant game from him at a higher level of competition. I remember seeing him made a few nice plays at the Hlinka but I expect way more from a "guy who could go 1st overall in other drafts" like Sportsnet said yesterday. The excuse is always that he is so young, but I don't think we can use that excuse last night since every players birthdays were withing 1 year.

On the other hand, we have Stutzle who controls the PP in a man's league. Their PP is the best in the league. He also performed at the WJC. People will say he was put in a position to dominate but they also tend to forget that Byfield had his opportunity in the top 6 in the first games of the tournament. But when I pointed this on the prospect thread, people were saying that Hayton was holding him back since he was such a puck hog... imagine. Stutzle, on the other hand, didn't give his coach the chance to demote him since he had a great showing and was dangerous the whole tournament.

Lucas Raymond, who is 4 month and a half younger and way smaller than Byfield did way better than him at the WJC.

Putting all emphasis on his age and the fact that he dominates in the OHL (where his size is a huge advantage) and ignoring the fact that he can't do the same at a higher stage is interesting. I don't see how he is the clear cut no2. Sorry guys, too much excuses for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad