2020 Entry Draft Order for LA Kings discussion

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Would love to see Ottawa take 2 forwards! Don't want Stuetzle at all and I don't care how fast he is. He's going to play where on the Kings if they select him? Centre,LWing...Don't like it period!

Curious about your opposition to a player ranked nearly unanimously by the scouts as the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft. #1 ranked European skater. Leon Draisaitl at 16 years old in the DNL (German juniors) had 1.6 pts per game. Stutzle 1.88 pts per game at 16 in the DNL. Stutzle had the most PPG ever for a first year draft eligible player out of the DEL this year in league history at 0.92 PPG as a 17/18 year old playing against men. He can play LW or C.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Did anyone notice that the Sens and Kings have a boatload of picks in the top 77! Ottawa has 8 in top 74 and the Kings have 7 in 77 picks! That's a lot draft capital on which to rebuild and that's in the first 2 1/2 rounds. Toronto on the other hand has 10 picks in the last 105 picks of the draft so they own that if I can say that! And Montreal owns 16 picks with multiple(2-4) picks in every round except the first and the sixth!

I can see the Kings slinging some of those to move up and get their guys.

We have quantity at every position...we need more blue chippers. Whatever it takes.

I don't have time right now to look but I'm also pretty sure we're up against contract spots and literal AHL roster spots too.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Curious about your opposition to a player ranked nearly unanimously by the scouts as the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft. #1 ranked European skater. Leon Draisaitl at 16 years old in the DNL (German juniors) had 1.6 pts per game. Stutzle 1.88 pts per game at 16 in the DNL. Stutzle had the most PPG ever for a first year draft eligible player out of the DEL this year in league history at 0.92 PPG as a 17/18 year old playing against men. He can play LW or C.

The guy you’re responding to is a size queen.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I can see the Kings slinging some of those to move up and get their guys.

We have quantity at every position...we need more blue chippers. Whatever it takes.

I don't have time right now to look but I'm also pretty sure we're up against contract spots and literal AHL roster spots too.

I threw this out there in another thread, but with the increased possibility that the AHL won't play due to it's reliance on gate and minimal fans being allowed in many places by the fall, their has been talk of them expanding the active roster for 20-21 to give a few guys a place to play. Could they take advantage of that with guys like Turcotte, Madden, Fagemo (I wonder if he could be loaned back to Frolunda if the SHL is playing), Clague, Hults, even Kaliyev depending on the outlook for the CHL, you don't have to play them every night, but you can get them exposure in small doses so they aren't going a whole year without playing.

KingsCrown

Mar 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
Here's how I think its going to go, assuming everyone stays where they are with Detroit 1, Ottawa 2/3, Us 4 and Ducks 5.

Obviously Lafreniere is going #1 no matter what.

I think Byfield is a no doubter #2 pick, but our draft is going to depend on what Ottawa does with its 3rd pick. Do they go with another forward in Stutzle or do they go with a defenseman that could one day play next to Chabot or even be better than Chabot. I think the Kings will take the odd man out of those 3 players. If it goes Byfield and Stutzle, then they'll go with Drysdale. If it goes Byfield and Drysdale, then they'll go with Stutzle. If by some chance Ottawa passes on Byfield twice I'd think they would sprint up to stage taking the BPA. I don't really see a scenario where we trade down if that happens. If by some chance a team behind us wins the lottery then we may be more open to a deal, but I think this top 10 is solid all the way through where I think the Kings would be content with where they are at.

With regards to our 2nd round picks, I think its a different story. Our prospect pool has been built up tremendously over the last 3 years. I'd say if this was 5 or 6 years ago, Fagemo and Thomas would've been our top prospects. Going by the Mayor's ranking they're barely top 10. That shows how good our pool has become. I think given with where we are at right now and the trend that we are going that we should be more diverting our focus from quantity of prospects to quality, so I can easily see a scenario where Blake and Yannetti see a player (Bjornfot) and take the gamble that he won't be there by the time your first 2nd pick is there. We got 3 2nd round picks this year and a potential of 3 in next years draft, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them be a little more aggressive trading up into the late 1st round if there is a prospect that they really want.

But I can also seeing them easily to continue hoarding prospects and building up the pool even more mostly as trading assets that could come in handy once we are ready to start competing again. You could also look at it long term and think once guys like Kopi, Brownie, Carter are all gone and Vilardi, Turcotte, Kaliyev take their spots, then who do you have to replace the roles that those 3 had before they were given the reigns and just sort of having an endless cycle of prospects.

And as always with prospects, not all of them are going to hit and we've had this discussion about development recently. I think as a whole, we are very good at making NHL players and better than most teams. Certainly not the best, but certainly not the worst.
I can definitely see them trade their early 2nd and late 2nd to move into the mid 20s if a guy high on their list significantly falls. Then they come out of this draft with a top ten pick, late first round, mid 2nd and still have two in the 3rd and two in the 4th which I’m sure we’ll see some movement on those.

Reactions: andys

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I threw this out there in another thread, but with the increased possibility that the AHL won't play due to it's reliance on gate and minimal fans being allowed in many places by the fall, their has been talk of them expanding the active roster for 20-21 to give a few guys a place to play. Could they take advantage of that with guys like Turcotte, Madden, Fagemo (I wonder if he could be loaned back to Frolunda if the SHL is playing), Clague, Hults, even Kaliyev depending on the outlook for the CHL, you don't have to play them every night, but you can get them exposure in small doses so they aren't going a whole year without playing.

CapFriendly shows 45 contracts this season with four new contracts counting towards next season. However, it also shows the Kings have six UFAs coming up this offseason and 11 RFAs, some of whom are unlikely to return.

Prokhorkin is probably on the bubble, Imama will be gone, as will Reddekopp and Kehler. So that should give the Kings more flexibility with player contracts.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Blake calls Yzerman and says, "I need to make some magic happen." Yzerman walks away with the Kings #4 overall and their 2021 and 2022 1st round picks. The Kings now have the #1 overall pick in the draft for the first time in their history.

...and now it's time to make the historic pick for a franchise player.

Blake pulls a piece of paper out of his pocket, looks at it, and calls in the pick for #1 overall.

Bettman gets the card, swirls his glass of red wine, looks into the camera and says, "Who the f*** is Vontae Mack?"

EWPihRfXsAECVaM

Blake calls Yzerman. Yzerman sees it is Blake on his caller ID, laughs and says, "Not a chance."

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The whole way the nhl is handling the draft so far stinks. Handing the top pick to a team is just more evidence that the league is a joke.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Id prefer 4th, 35th, 48th over 8th, 17th. I think being able to take your pick of the 2nd tier prospects with two other top 50 shots is worth more than getting the last of the 2nd tier prospects that nobody wanted and a 17th which is no guarantee to pan out better than two shots in the early in the 2nd which you would think have a decent chance for one of those to reach their projected potential.
The Devils have the 6th and 10th(from Coyotes) and 17th(from Tampa via Vancouver)!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
On TSN today they said the appetite for a June draft by the league appears to be waning. Nothing set in stone, but interest dwindling due to the amount of opposition from many teams.
I don't care when they have it..just as long as its sometime in the Summer,August for all I care!

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
On Insider Trading today, they talked about the questions surrounding the draft lottery and who will occupy 8-15, if the goal is to not have a team win the lottery and win the cup, it would make sense to have the play-in losers occupy 8-15 sorted by pts%.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

I wonder if the 7 non-playoff teams got together to leverage this out of the situation knowing one or two playoff teams would say "no" to the proposed format so they had the power to veto the playoffs.

By "this", I mean a 7 team lottery.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricardfromage

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
The NHL simply must separate the 7 non playoff (or whatever absolute and utter BULLCRAFT they want to call it) teams from the rest of the teams. Otherwise the buy ins or the play ins etc would be given an obvious and distinct advantage. I mean regardless we are more likely to pick 7th in keeping with are mysteriously consistent pattern of dropping in every draft but still.... I know that there has been some malarkey about our only being able to drop down 1 spot but if the league does that and assures that the Wings can only drop one spot and that the Sens would be guaranteed the 3rd and 4rst overall picks well then that would be the NHL fixing the draft and that is an utter impossibility, right?

Of course the easiest and fairest solution is also the most obvious one and that is to let the teams all draft where they finished including the buy in teams. 8th down pick like that is how the lottery went and that assures that there is no additional benefit to making the playoff-ins and the draft (lottery). So I know that others have said this I guess this is me agreeing with the notion. Yes there appear to be a few problems with regards to who played how many games etc but ya know what? There aren't any fair/easy solutions anyways. Since each proposal has its problems why not simply throw out the draft this year and call it good? I mean it isn't like any team was playing to lose with the knowledge that the season would be short stopped, right? Isn't that what the draft is all about? To stop teams from playing to lose (a truly nonsensical reason if ever there was one) so they can get the bestest pick? Well since nobody knew that the FF Corona Virus (I already know so no need to tell me) was coming then they couldn't have been playing to lose and likely wouldn't have done anything to change their play drastically until after the regular season was over which means that they would very likely have gone on to finish right around things ended up being as they happened so, simply let everyone draft where they are today and call an end to the speculation. This has been a truly tragic set of circumstances that have befallen us as a species and I can't imagine anyone in power using it to attempt to better their position in something as trite as a sports draft. Man I think I should stay away from posting for awhile longer this time. I am just too damned grumpy.

Of course Betteman is doing a truly wonderful job of ruining the league as always. Super great at his job, one of the best.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I wonder if the 7 non-playoff teams got together to leverage this out of the situation knowing one or two playoff teams would say "no" to the proposed format so they had the power to veto the playoffs.

By "this", I mean a 7 team lottery.

Seems like a 7 team lottery is what is going to happen with one winner, and likely you can only move up 4 spots like the old days. No way anyone getting into the play-in format to make the final 16 playoffs should be in this lottery. If so, Kings can only finish 1st, 4th or 5th.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Seems like a 7 team lottery is what is going to happen with one winner, and likely you can only move up 4 spots like the old days. No way anyone getting into the play-in format to make the final 16 playoffs should be in this lottery. If so, Kings can only finish 1st, 4th or 5th.
That is assuming that there is a 7 team lottery. Lots of assuming going on right about now. Time will tell.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

Their are like 6 or 7 tweets below this one, he mentions the possibility of vacant slots in a 15 team draw, I assume the teams would be ordered by points% at the completion of the play-in, meaning no one would really know who got each spot until most or all series are complete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad