2020 draftee with the biggest impact

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
I would like to know who are the guys drafted in this year OHL draft who will have the biggest impact if there is a season next year. I'm not too familiar with the Ontario players since I'm from New-Brunswick and I'm always looking two years ahead for NHL drafts, so who do you guys think will join Shane Wright and have the potential to be first rounders in 2022? Thanks a lot!

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think David Goyette is going to be relied upon pretty heavily right out of the gate in Sudbury

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I really like Ludwinski (KGN) and McConnell-Barker (SSM)

Underrated players for me who aren’t getting the hype but could become huge names are Sova (ERI) and Hayes (FLT)

Players I find a bit “overrated” but still talented are Namestnikov (SAR) and Donovan (HAM)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I really like Ludwinski (KGN) and McConnell-Barker (SSM)
I think McConnell-Barker gets a really good look the first half of the year up to the trade deadline. He might get a majority of first-line minutes in fact. The Soo returns 6 of their top 6, and I can see them keeping their second line (Carroll - Kerins - MacKay) intact as their chemistry seemed to grow throughout the season. The first line (Kartye - Pytlik - Trott) was shuffled up a few different ways through the season, and I can see them trying to inject McConnell-Barker there to see if there is a fit (perhaps in place of Kartye).

It's a lot to ask of a 16 year old though, and if he doesn't produce then we may end up filling the spot through a trade at the deadline. If that happens both his minutes and his quality of linemates would go way down in the second half, barring injury. There is also the possibility that he gets traded at the deadline for a top 3 winger, although I suspect we keep him as top 4 picks don't grow on trees.

Reactions: NOA

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I would like to know who are the guys drafted in this year OHL draft who will have the biggest impact if there is a season next year. I'm not too familiar with the Ontario players since I'm from New-Brunswick and I'm always looking two years ahead for NHL drafts, so who do you guys think will join Shane Wright and have the potential to be first rounders in 2022? Thanks a lot!

That's a bit of a loaded question, as we are not two years down the road yet for the NHL draft 2022. Shane Wright is definitely a name that will be a standout going into his draft year. Lots of factors can play out in that span of time. As to who is in the OHL who could join that list to name a few that come to mind.

Deni Goure, Ethan Burroughs- Owen Sound
Ryan Del Monte - Barrie
Brennan Othmann - Flint
Danny Zhilkin- Guelph
Ryan Winterton - Hamilton
Francesco Pinelli - Kitchener
Brett Harrison- Oshawa
Brendan Sirrizotti- Ottawa
Mason McTavish - Peterborough
Josh Bloom - Saginaw
Jacob Homles - Soo
Wyatt Johnston - Windsor

Those would probably be some of the standouts that come to my mind of what is at the OHL level. Now that's not to say there won't be others who aren't listed that will probably be added by others from around the OHL by other posters who see different rivalries more often. The reason I add those guys are because this years draft is still unknown as you are looking for 2 years down the line the '03 draft class would be the starting point and those will be some of the top 2003's that I believe will make a fairly big impact if the 2020-21 season is a go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster8

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
That's a bit of a loaded question, as we are not two years down the road yet for the NHL draft 2022. Shane Wright is definitely a name that will be a standout going into his draft year. Lots of factors can play out in that span of time. As to who is in the OHL who could join that list to name a few that come to mind.

Deni Goure, Ethan Burroughs- Owen Sound
Ryan Del Monte - Barrie
Brennan Othmann - Flint
Danny Zhilkin- Guelph
Ryan Winterton - Hamilton
Francesco Pinelli - Kitchener
Brett Harrison- Oshawa
Brendan Sirrizotti- Ottawa
Mason McTavish - Peterborough
Josh Bloom - Saginaw
Jacob Homles - Soo
Wyatt Johnston - Windsor

Those would probably be some of the standouts that come to my mind of what is at the OHL level. Now that's not to say there won't be others who aren't listed that will probably be added by others from around the OHL by other posters who see different rivalries more often. The reason I add those guys are because this years draft is still unknown as you are looking for 2 years down the line the '03 draft class would be the starting point and those will be some of the top 2003's that I believe will make a fairly big impact if the 2020-21 season is a go.
A lot of these players mentioned are 2021 NHL draft eligible, i think the question was looking for top flight rookies this year are eligible in 2022, or late birthday 03's like Arnsby who are eligible for 2021.

Reactions: NOA

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
A lot of these players mentioned are 2021 NHL draft eligible, i think the question was looking for top flight rookies this year are eligible in 2022, or late birthday 03's like Arnsby who are eligible for 2021.

As I stated that is impossible at the moment to predict as these kids are just names on a page because they haven't yet set foot in an OHL game yet.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
As I stated that is impossible at the moment to predict as these kids are just names on a page because they haven't yet set foot in an OHL game yet.
It is impossible to predict but I think the poster just wanted a few names to look out for. Nothing wrong with speculating on a forum. There is always the caveat that these players are young and things can change quickly in their development

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
It is impossible to predict but I think the poster just wanted a few names to look out for. Nothing wrong with speculating on a forum. There is always the caveat that these players are young and things can change quickly in their development

No harm no foul

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I think McConnell-Barker gets a really good look the first half of the year up to the trade deadline. He might get a majority of first-line minutes in fact. The Soo returns 6 of their top 6, and I can see them keeping their second line (Carroll - Kerins - MacKay) intact as their chemistry seemed to grow throughout the season. The first line (Kartye - Pytlik - Trott) was shuffled up a few different ways through the season, and I can see them trying to inject McConnell-Barker there to see if there is a fit (perhaps in place of Kartye).

It's a lot to ask of a 16 year old though, and if he doesn't produce then we may end up filling the spot through a trade at the deadline. If that happens both his minutes and his quality of linemates would go way down in the second half, barring injury. There is also the possibility that he gets traded at the deadline for a top 3 winger, although I suspect we keep him as top 4 picks don't grow on trees.

Like you said, Soo have a lot of guys returning and if they're going to be a team who's going for a championship, those teams don't have true rookies on line 1. Could see McConnell-Barker get a couple games on the top line (right before the trade deadline lol) because he might have to be moved if they plan on getting a WJ level stud as Soo don't have a lot of 2nd/3rd round draft picks to keep up with a team like Windsor who has a ton of high picks saved up. Especially if Malik doesn't come back and Soo has to use picks on a goalie (or if Malik does come back and plays like he did last year)

In terms of who will have the biggest impact, I think the #1 is Ty Nelson which isn't exactly going out on a limb because he's the #1 pick but he's going to get a tonnnn of minutes for that NB team and will play in all situations right out of the gate which most rookie D-man don't get (Brandt Clarke didn't even get that to start last year)

Paul Ludwinski would probably be #2 for me. Wasn't overly impressed with Chromiak last year (much more of a passenger than a play driver) so if KGN decides to switch that up and go Ludwinski-Wright-Wisdom as the top line, there wouldn't be a rookie in a better spot in the entire CHL than Ludwinski next year

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Like you said, Soo have a lot of guys returning and if they're going to be a team who's going for a championship, those teams don't have true rookies on line 1. Could see McConnell-Barker get a couple games on the top line (right before the trade deadline lol) because he might have to be moved if they plan on getting a WJ level stud as Soo don't have a lot of 2nd/3rd round draft picks to keep up with a team like Windsor who has a ton of high picks saved up. Especially if Malik doesn't come back and Soo has to use picks on a goalie (or if Malik does come back and plays like he did last year)

In terms of who will have the biggest impact, I think the #1 is Ty Nelson which isn't exactly going out on a limb because he's the #1 pick but he's going to get a tonnnn of minutes for that NB team and will play in all situations right out of the gate which most rookie D-man don't get (Brandt Clarke didn't even get that to start last year)

Paul Ludwinski would probably be #2 for me. Wasn't overly impressed with Chromiak last year (much more of a passenger than a play driver) so if KGN decides to switch that up and go Ludwinski-Wright-Wisdom as the top line, there wouldn't be a rookie in a better spot in the entire CHL than Ludwinski next year
Ludwinski was the first name in my head too. That kid could very well put on a show with those players around him.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I'm not sure they'll necessarily play him over Christopolous early on. I think both of these guys will make an impact next season.

Reactions: Uncle

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ludwinski was the first name in my head too. That kid could very well put on a show with those players around him.

He didn't have anything around him at all on that Marlies team last year but for me he was still the best forward in the GTHL last season (ahead of Fimis)

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I'm not sure they'll necessarily play him over Christopolous early on. I think both of these guys will make an impact next season.

I fully expect both guys to be in their top 4. And I'd still expect Nelson to get more PP time and offensive zone starts than Christopolous. Although there aren't a ton of other options for PP D-men in NB right now so it could even be Nelson/Christo running the 1st PP unit even though they're '03/'04.

Reactions: belair

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I fully expect both guys to be in their top 4. And I'd still expect Nelson to get more PP time and offensive zone starts than Christopolous. Although there aren't a ton of other options for PP D-men in NB right now so it could even be Nelson/Christo running the 1st PP unit even though they're '03/'04.
Was going to mention the PP specifically. Both of these guys have a little Ryan Ellis in their game. I could see the stronger shot taking the 1Ts.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Wow.....really?? No disrespect to Nelson but he is not even close to Christo......Christo is better offensively and defensively

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Wow.....really?? No disrespect to Nelson but he is not even close to Christo......Christo is better offensively and defensively

I think North Bay needs to make a statement to future draft picks. If Ty Nelson plays 1st PP and puts up some points and all works out, it might show some players down the road that it isn’t that bad to be a 1st round pick of the Battalion. the same idea with Ty Dellandrea in Flint. People see it starting to work out for a guy like Dellandrea in Flint and all of a sudden it’s a bit more of a desirable place to play.

Just my thoughts. I personally couldn’t tell you who is better between Nelson and Christopolous. If it’s the latter by a landslide, have him on PP1. if it’s close, I would like to see them give Nelson every opportunity to be a stud in the league that NBay needs him to be for future recruiting

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Strong disagree. Nelson has the higher offensive ceiling and tbh it's not even close. Nelson's skating and shot combo are so rare that he could end up in the offensive conversation with guys like Drysdale and Clarke (will his D-zone play be able to stack up against bigger guys? Good question but we were talking PP time so only offensive ability was being discussed).

You could probably make an argument that Christo will be the better all around D-man when they're both OHL vets (time will tell) but Nelson's offensive ability is top notch and that's what we were talking about

Reactions: HockeyPops

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I hear ya but to compare him to Christo is silly.....different players

Having said that, I like Nelson’s offensive side but he has a hell of a lot to grow to be a complete player

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I hear ya but to compare him to Christo is silly.....different players

Having said that, I like Nelson’s offensive side but he has a hell of a lot to grow to be a complete player

Yeah we were only talking offensive upside, not as a complete player. The convo was about who will get more offensive zone starts/time on the PP

Reactions: Saggy

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

sure looked like Winslow has some offence in his game. Rose will get a lot of TOI in all other situations, I think.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Nelson will most likely get second pair even strength and powerplay time, I doubt PK early on. Nelson and P.C could be trigger men on different powerplay units, with Winslow and Rose more pick movers.
NB also added a few forwards so they might try and find pp time for them all, possibly going 4F 1D.
Regardless, exciting times for NB... things have turned for the better and I’m sure our young studs will be put in positions to succeed unlike previous years.
(Sorry For apparent hijacking of the thread)

Aside from our NB boys, id echo Ludwinski as a candidate. Decent surrounding talent and enough ice time to produce.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Aside from our NB boys, id echo Ludwinski as a candidate. Decent surrounding talent and enough ice time to produce.
Do you really think KGN is going to give enough ice time to their 2004s? Kingston has perhaps only one forward graduating and many talented forwards already ahead of Ludwinski on the depth chart. Even the SOO fits this narrative of not much ice for rookies, although I think the door is cracked open just a bit in the top 6 for McConnell-Barker but if they stumble, even a little bit, they will likely both be on a short leash because of many other options.

In the end, I would think those with opportunity would be the most likely to fit the bill. That means forwards on teams like SBY and KIT and PBO and OTT and SAG who are graduating most of their top 6 and drafted potential impact 2004 forwards. Throw Nelson in that list as he will probably be the only defender that gets enough opportunity. Probably throw Fimis in there as Niagara really doesn't have many proven offensive players.
- Andrew Leblanc (KIT)
- Nicholas Moldenhauer (OTT)
- Brady Stonehouse (OTT)
- Sam Alfano (PBO)
- David Goyette (SBY)
- Kocha Delic (SBY)
- Ty Nelson (NB)
- Pano Fimis (NIA)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad