2020 Draft

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
Hey, so the Golden Knights are probably headed for the COVID Cup championship and draft at 31. Right? Right !

I am someone who is really interested in looking for what the future brings. As a fan of the Habs, I have been looking at prospects for the past years since we had a high position. Meanwhile, I look at the prospects who could end up between 28 and early 2nd round, for other picks and for my favorite team in the West, Vegas of course.

I just looked at a report about a young LW/C named Ridly Greig. He plays for Brandon Wheat Kings, the team that McCrimmon was managing before coming here, so he might still have good insight from there. Greig seems exactly the type of player to fit in the mold of the Golden Knights : has offensive talent, especially in playmaking, handles his stick well, and despite his small shape (he just turned 18, btw), plays a heck of a physical game. If he turns out to be the player he is projected, I think he becomes an excellent power forward a la Alex Tuch, who is a more than excellent fit on a third line, and can take good shifts on a second line as well. I think Greig would fit something they tried this year with Nick Cousins for the end of the season. Seems like a good leader too.

More details here : (you can skip the part where the guy speaks of the Habs at the beginning).

If Braden Schneider, other top prospect from the Wheat Kings at this draft, is suprisingly still available when the Golden Knights select (assuming they pick in the four last teams, which is what I project), they could also take him, as he would fill a hole at RHD.

Have you guys started to look at the prospects? Some names in mind?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hey, so the Golden Knights are probably headed for the COVID Cup championship and draft at 31. Right? Right !
:eek: we can't talk like that. Bad bad juju.

As far as picks I was looking at Schneider earlier in the season, but that's looking less likely. Greig immediately reminded me of Marchand and Brady Tkachuk. If McCrimmon has inside info as to what kind of person he is and he is a future Marchand, part of me hopes they stay away. Don't want any rats on VGK.

As for the later rounds, Gogolev didn't wow anyone at rookie camp, but he showed he can play solid in his own end while getting off a ton of shots. I wouldn't be surprised if they took him in the 3rd-4th round (assuming he makes it that far).

Last edited:
Reactions: FedorTyutin

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019

As far as picks I was looking at Schneider earlier in the season, but that's looking less likely. Greig immediately reminded me of Marchand and Brady Tkachuk. If McCrimmon has inside info as to what kind of person he is and he is a future Marchand, part of me hopes they stay away. Don't want any rats on VGK.
Seems Marchand is well appreciated by his team mates. Just cocky on ice.
Greig also reminds me of Tkachuk and Marchand. You'd rather have them on your team than on opposite sides.

Reactions: Pia8988

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

It really was.... do we sacrifice them as tribute?

Reactions: FedorTyutin

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Reichel in the 1st if he falls, though he has been a bit of a riser. Either Blomqvist in the 3rd or Levi in the 6th

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It really was.... do we sacrifice them as tribute?

https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FBJ_gqkCCAAA6Qj0.jpg

Reactions: hangman005

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Reichel in the 1st if he falls, though he has been a bit of a riser. Either Blomqvist in the 3rd or Levi in the 6th
One of Blomqvist, Bednar, or Clang would be good where they respectively are supposed to go if still available.

I'm still all-in on Grans with a late first.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Moving on from that loss...

Who do we pick at 29? Can Marchessault plus something get us another 1st?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Moving on from that loss...

Who do we pick at 29? Can Marchessault plus something get us another 1st?

Can't see a team moving a 1st for Marchessault with Dadonov and Hoffman etc available in free agency. It's going to have to be after all the big UFA forwards are off the market.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Can't see a team moving a 1st for Marchessault with Dadonov and Hoffman etc available in free agency. It's going to have to be after all the big UFA forwards are off the market.

Does his good contract help? He's only signed until 33 and for pretty cheap. Four years is a while.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Does his good contract help? He's only signed until 33 and for pretty cheap. Four years is a while.

The difficulty with moving Marchie is going to be the total money owed as opposed to the AAV. There's going to be a lot of teams cutting back costs. We need to find a team with the cap space, a need for a top 6 RW and that doesn't have a budget. And then they also need to not be on his NTC list. So as things look right now I'm left with maybe BOS/NJ/LA/BUF. I don't see a path to get true value back for him. And the only way you flat out dump him is if you have a big name lined up and need the space.

Stastny on the other hand is far easier to move because top 6 centers are more in demand and he's only got the 1 year left. There's no shortage of places I think we could move him to for a 2nd or a 3rd.​

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

The difficulty with moving Marchie is going to be the total money owed as opposed to the AAV. There's going to be a lot of teams cutting back costs. We need to find a team with the cap space, a need for a top 6 RW and that doesn't have a budget. And then they also need to not be on his NTC list. So as things look right now I'm left with maybe BOS/NJ/LA/BUF. I don't see a path to get true value back for him. And the only way you flat out dump him is if you have a big name lined up and need the space.

Stastny on the other hand is far easier to move because top 6 centers are more in demand and he's only got the 1 year left. There's no shortage of places I think we could move him to for a 2nd or a 3rd.​
Marchy's salary is though at his AAV for 2 seasons, then it's down at 3.5M the last 2 seasons, though.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Seems to be a lot of chatter from Foley & McCrimmon about the possibility of trading down & picking up more picks in a 'deep draft' (unless someone they really like is still there of course).

If they were to drop down from 29th one of those picks might be flipped with MAF?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Seems to be a lot of chatter from Foley & McCrimmon about the possibility of trading down & picking up more picks in a 'deep draft' (unless someone they really like is still there of course).

If they were to drop down from 29th one of those picks might be flipped with MAF?

I don't know anymore about MAF and I'm hoping the damage is limited, even retaining ourself.

Picks at 29 aren't really any more likely of becoming NHLers than picks into the 50's from some articles I've read the past few years. I think generally around pick 20 or so the probabilities of playing 100 or 200 games and expected PPG totals stay pretty flat until the third round.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't know anymore about MAF and I'm hoping the damage is limited, even retaining ourself.

Picks at 29 aren't really any more likely of becoming NHLers than picks into the 50's from some articles I've read the past few years. I think generally around pick 20 or so the probabilities of playing 100 or 200 games and expected PPG totals stay pretty flat until the third round.

That's only what teams are asking to take 3.5m though. Seravalli also implied Carolina was interested in MAF at 3.5m, and Marchessault or Stastny could also be moved to clear cap.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Bigger news here would be Schmidt trade rumors though! That would heavily imply they expect to get a top four defenseman in to replace him. They've only been linked to one.

I think McCrimmon probably loves Schneider and wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to look at Schmidt trades to see if they can maneuver and get high enough to draft him.

I would just give up the 2021 1st and NJ 2nd. A late twenties, late thirties next season should get Fleury out of here with no retention from us.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Ugh not Schmitty

I think they might draft Lapierre over Schneider if they had the chance but who knows
If Lapierre is there at 16, and Bergevin has been quite open about moving the pick...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad