2020 Draft

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I'd reverse the capitalization to win-WIN. Beating Toronto means nothing to me except a momentary exhilaration like beating Tampa last year and then being a bubble team this year. or the 16 game winning streak followed by an 0-8 start. Getting the Number 1 pick would have a long lasting impact on the Jackets.
Beating TML is more than momentary 1. Because we continue to play for the cup and anything can happen and 2. We get to troll Leaf fans here and that lasts a long time.

Reactions: Fro

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Beating TML is more than momentary 1. Because we continue to play for the cup and anything can happen and 2. We get to troll Leaf fans here and that lasts a long time.
Leafs fans wil troll each other along with other fan bases. I never really see a purpose to troll other than some good fun with my buddies. I love the memories from the Tampa series but its everyone else it the hockey world that gives it to them.
I agree though, winning is always priority 1. If we lose we lose but 12.5% chance at a pick is still an 87.5% of not getting it. Plus players generally like to play for winning teams or teams showing progression. A loss here and no 1st overall gets us a whole lot of nothing

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Red Wings are one of the top franchises in the league with the worst record and the NHL rigged it so one of the four most popular teams in the league couldn’t get the first pick?

Correct. Increases interest in the playoffs. Detroit just gets caught in the crossfire. Better luck next time.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I’ll be rooting for the win and the cup. I’d take the #1 too but there is a 7/8 chance that if we lose, we draft in the late teens. I take the win, and a chance at the cup. If anything, I feel like our chances of winning it all go up with all of these additonal teams pull upsets that wouldn’t have made the playoffs in the first place.

Obviously winning the lottery is a franchise-changer though.

I’m unclear on where we would be drafting if we lose in the qualifying round and don’t win the lotto. I’m not sure if it would be in that 9-15 range based on eliminated teams, or if it just goes by regular season point percentage league wide, where we would be around 19-20.

Reactions: cslebn

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I’m unclear on where we would be drafting if we lose in the qualifying round and don’t win the lotto. I’m not sure if it would be in that 9-15 range based on eliminated teams, or if it just goes by regular season point percentage league wide, where we would be around 19-20.

I think the losers in rd 1 go 9-15 depending on their regular season point percentage. So if we lose we need to see some upsets of higher ranked teams to improve our draft spot, assuming we don't win the top spot. The thing that is really bogus about this is a top team could lose a la Tampa last year and wind up with the 1st pick. To me that is bogus.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If a team, say Tampa or Boston get knocked off in Rd 1 and win the lottery I could see them trading the 1 pick to one of the 7 worst teams for this year and next year's #1 plus a prospect or two. Still think that possibility sucks if such a team winds up with the #1 pick.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
If a team, say Tampa or Boston get knocked off in Rd 1 and win the lottery I could see them trading the 1 pick to one of the 7 worst teams for this year and next year's #1 plus a prospect or two. Still think that possibility sucks if such a team winds up with the #1 pick.

I thought only the play in teams (so no Tampa, Boston, Vegas, etc) were among the 8 potential.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I thought only the play in teams (so no Tampa, Boston, Vegas, etc) were among the 8 potential.

Only if the season isn't completed, otherwise its like I stated above. Kind of (very) confusing but that is how it has been explained in a couple of articles I've read.

And the winner is…
One of the qualifying teams in the Stanley Cup playoffs. One of the 8 teams that lose in the @NHL's play-in round will select first overall in the 2020 #NHLDraft. #NHLonSN pic.twitter.com/uc3RQI9Wis
— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) June 27, 2020

If, for whatever reason, the play-in cannot be completed….the remaining bottom 8 teams will have a one-in-eight shot at the top selection
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) June 27, 2020

Jackets would be one of the eight.​

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Only if the season isn't completed, otherwise its like I stated above. Kind of (very) confusing but that is how it has been explained in a couple of articles I've read.

And the winner is…
One of the qualifying teams in the Stanley Cup playoffs. One of the 8 teams that lose in the @NHL's play-in round will select first overall in the 2020 #NHLDraft. #NHLonSN pic.twitter.com/uc3RQI9Wis
— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) June 27, 2020

If, for whatever reason, the play-in cannot be completed….the remaining bottom 8 teams will have a one-in-eight shot at the top selection
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) June 27, 2020

Jackets would be one of the eight.​

That's what i thought. There have been a bunch of people talking about Tampa and Boston winning it though which can't happen.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Of the sixteen play-in teams, IMO I would be more upset if the Rangers, Oilers, Hawks, Leafs, Pens or Habs get the #1OA.

• Oilers have already had too many #1OA in the past decade
  • Hawks and Pens fans have been spoiled by Toews/Kane and Crosby/Malkin for a decade plus and it would be oh so convenient for them to be able to replace one of their aging superstars with a fresh young stud before another team even gets one
  • Leafs just had #1OA with Matthews and it would give the Leafs a chance to try and move one of their over-priced stars and they don't deserve that "out"
  • Rangers just got Kakko and it just seems way too convenient for the NHL if the biggest market in the league lucks into the #1OA after adding superstar in last year's UFA class.
  • Habs...just because they are the Habs.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
He's a UFA and I have not heard anything that suggests he is leaning one way or another.

But he won’t have the chance to sign with someone else before round 2 of the draft lottery, correct? So Hall will still be a Coyote, and his magic lottery ball powers should be in play for Arizona.

As I read everything, assuming there is a resumption of the 2020 season, round 2 of the draft lottery takes place after the first round of the playoffs. I am guessing in the first or second weekend of round 2 of the playoffs, between games being shown on NBC.

If the 2020 season is canceled, the draft lottery and draft would take place before free agency. Last season the draft was in in June and free agency was in July.

Round 1 of the lottery already went the Coyotes’ way.

Interestingly, Arizona’s pick was traded to to NJ as part of the deal for Hall, but it was top 3 protected. So they may have been hoping for some lottery magic.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Obviously not Byfield or Stutzle but maybe one of the others?

This sounds like a center Torts would like (Mavrik Bourque) and based on mock drafts he should be available - he is usually projected in the late teens or early twenties.

“A 200-foot player, Bourque has a great defensive game. He uses his skating ability to get back to help out his teammates and is great at intercepting passes in the neutral and defensive zone. He plays with an active stick and never stops skating. He also goes hard on the forecheck and is great at putting pressure on the opposition.”

Reactions: rotsbu

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Assuming we don't win the AL sweepstakes any of these of interest?

https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-n...D_-_zeHPthPyCKs2LTVNO0fPOwAlPpzNR_ejMX6dcNGvU

I think there are at least 3-5 guys there that play centre that could help us. If we are drafting as late 15 most drafts than I have seen have Perfetti, Rossi, and Lundell all gone by that pick, so I'm not sure a center will be the best player available when we are up. With all the unknown from Covid I expect Jarmo to do really well at the draft - he always seems to have a list of players in the later rounds that other GM's are not looking at.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For those getting interested in following prospects, I recommend checking out these youtube channels.

Draft Dynasty - easy to watch videos let you form your own opinion.
YouTube

Scouching - better for deep dives, a lot of stats.
YouTube

These resources have honestly been a lot more informative than following high profile scouts like Pronman and Wheeler at The Athletic. The Youtube guys will give you a mountain of information on each prospect.

It's not easy finding a top center in our range (likely 13 onward), another reason not to be too focused on position anyways.

Byfield and Stutzle will be off the board, and very likely so will be Rossi and Perfetti.

Anton Lundell might be there. He plays somewhat like Wennberg in that his biggest contribution is in the neutral zone. He was the top possession player in the Liiga, which is obviously remarkable for an 18 year old. His tools don't look impressive at all - very poor agility and not smooth with the puck - but he is very very smart in his positioning. Could be a 3C but a lot of people, myself included, are wondering if Lundell might become a Couturier/M. Koivu type center.

Seth Jarvis is an electric scorer but he doesn't play center in junior and is not expected to be one at the next level, no idea what this "hockeywriter" is smoking. He's an RW, not a position of need for the Jackets, but he could easily become one of our best forwards.

Dylan Holloway has great tools but his year at Wisconsin betrayed a lack of scoring instincts. Poor production and he didn't look like a scorer. I think there's a good chance we get a 3C out of him. He's fast and very strong, but his playstyle is very much like a slicker version of Boone Jenner. He'll be a useful NHLer no doubt, but I wouldn't take him in the mid-first round.

Connor Zary is an all around competitive type center. The way a lot of people talk about him you'd think he'd be exactly the type of top six C the Jackets would love. I'm personally just not seeing where he has room for growth. He's already filled out and done growing, and doesn't have any tools that would be great at the NHL level. I see a good 3C.

For Hendrix Lapierre, watch the end of the Draft Dynasty profile on him, where Yanic shows his injuries. It's very hard to watch, because you can see his body just recoil at light contact. There is something very wrong there. If it's concussions, as was originally diagnosed, then I wouldn't touch him in the first round, he probably won't make it. If it's his neck, as his family and agent now say, maybe there's something there worth investigating. If you think he'll be healthy enough though, you absolutely take him. He is a top tier playmaker, with some of the best vision and passing in the draft, the type that would lift the goals totals of everyone around him.

Mavrik Bourque is a great junior center but not likely to be effective there at the NHL level. He's small, which is fine if a guy is quick enough, but Bourque isn't that quick. I am personally skeptical. I see more of a third line sparkplug winger.

Reactions: rotsbu

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's four players I have my eye on if we're going to draft for a top six C and still get good value.

Dawson Mercer mostly plays RW, with maybe a couple dozen games at C, but like Dubois has a lot of the attributes that make you think he'd be a good center long term. His anticipation on both sides of the puck is top notch. He reminds me a lot of Mark Stone. Genius at stealing the puck, and an incredible puckhandler to watch. He'll probably be taken between #11 and #24.

Marat Khusnutdinov is listed at 5'9, and... Russian, so he might slip a bit into the second round. His skillset though is a lot like Brayden Point. He's fast and never stops. Fantastic defensive player and great at setting up plays in the offensive end. He'll probably be taken between #17 and #50.

Lukas Reichel is a late-blooming German LW/C. Like Texier was, he's very lanky and you can see he has a lot of room to add muscle and get stronger. His scoring instincts around the net are top notch and he's very helpful at both ends, which makes it seem like he will be a good center. He doesn't look particular dynamic right now but that should improve with strength. He'll probably go between #17 and #37.

Jean-Luc Foudy is top notch at two things - skating the puck from one end to the other and setting up teammates in great scoring position. He does those two things more than anyone else. He's also blazing fast, like Liam. The rest of his game though is not pretty. He gets routinely outmuscled defensively and he has a muffin shot. If he can somehow get a lot stronger though, this could be an elite player. He'll probably go between #25 and #55. Very divisive prospect.

Edit: You can throw in there Ozzy Wiesblatt and Tristen Robins as a couple guys with top six C upside that could be available in the third round even. Both are smallish but very tough, fiery, and fast.

Last edited:

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
There's four players I have my eye on if we're going to draft for a top six C and still get good value.

Dawson Mercer mostly plays RW, with maybe a couple dozen games at C, but like Dubois has a lot of the attributes that make you think he'd be a good center long term. His anticipation on both sides of the puck is top notch. He reminds me a lot of Mark Stone. Genius at stealing the puck, and an incredible puckhandler to watch. He'll probably be taken between #11 and #24.

Marat Khusnutdinov is listed at 5'9, and... Russian, so he might slip a bit into the second round. His skillset though is a lot like Brayden Point. He's fast and never stops. Fantastic defensive player and great at setting up plays in the offensive end. He'll probably be taken between #17 and #50.

Lukas Reichel is a late-blooming German LW/C. Like Texier was, he's very lanky and you can see he has a lot of room to add muscle and get stronger. His scoring instincts around the net are top notch and he's very helpful at both ends, which makes it seem like he will be a good center. He doesn't look particular dynamic right now but that should improve with strength. He'll probably go between #17 and #37.

Jean-Luc Foudy is top notch at two things - skating the puck from one end to the other and setting up teammates in great scoring position. He does those two things more than anyone else. He's also blazing fast, like Liam. The rest of his game though is not pretty. He gets routinely outmuscled defensively and he has a muffin shot. If he can somehow get a lot stronger though, this could be an elite player. He'll probably go between #25 and #55. Very divisive prospect.

Edit: You can throw in there Ozzy Wiesblatt and Tristen Robins as a couple guys with top six C upside that could be available in the third round even. Both are smallish but very tough, fiery, and fast.

Awesome info, major!

I vote for a do-over with a prospect named "Reichel." ;)

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->