Draft 2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We’ve done pretty well with DeAngelo. I grew up in a similar social circle to Virtanen, we have mutual friends and play hockey in the same roller league. I grew up in Surrey (basically the most ghetto place in Canada, place is an absolute dump) and he grew up in Abby which is right next to Surrey and very similar. A lot of his old hometown friends are bad influences and I’m sure they convince him to do stupid shit with them with all the money he has going clubbing and getting into trouble. I think packing up your stuff and moving out to an entire different place on your own forces you to grow up, a lot of players dealt with maturity issues when playing in their hometowns. You have the peer pressure to take out your old buddies and do dumb shit because you have money to blow, whereas if he moved to a new city he’d only be around his teammates and new friends he makes who would be of a much different social class than his hometown friends were.

Could definitely be buying low on him as I apparently his trade value is only a mid round pick. He’s got serious wheels, like we’re talking Kreider fast.

DeAngelo's issues didn't revolve around going out and doing stupid things. They've all been getting heated and saying stupid things.

I'd take Virtanen though. Lias for Virtanen would be a steal for us.

Reactions: bleedblue94 and Ola

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I like Holloway and wouldn't mind taking him. I'm just not sure I'd move up to get him. There might be several others in his range anyway. My brother JoeyBones likes him for his aggressive play and good skating though and the Rangers certainly could use that kind of player. I've been wanting the Rangers to trade for Sam Bennett for several years now just to have someone like that.

I've actually been advocating for a Sam Bennett trade for a few seasons now. I do think NYR could pick him up with a Georgiev trade.... 1 for 1. Think he'd play phenomenal hockey under Quinn and could push Howden to the press box.

But yes, Holloway has a lot to like. I would like to see more of his offense to come to fruition. In the end, I do think Holloway gets you a pretty good bottom-6 center/wing.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
If we’re looking for a powerforward, a really speedy one with draft pedigree is going to be available this offseason in Jake Virtanen. He has really fallen out of favor with Vancouver’s front office, he’s a player who could use a fresh start, seems he’s having maturity issues that come with becoming a young millionaire while still around all his high school friends around Vancouver. Andersson & Pettersson are good friends too. You guys do Andersson for Virtanen?

Would anyone not do that deal? And I still hope things work out for Lias.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
DeAngelo's issues didn't revolve around going out and doing stupid things. They've all been getting heated and saying stupid things.

True, just saying we do have a history of taking on reclamation projects and getting pretty good results. The trouble he got into was this:
- got pulled over & received a ticket for taking Instagram story videos while driving
- picture surfaced of him at a nightclub while he was supposed to be in isolation before return to play
- came to camp for the play-ins out of shape, as he also did last year

I think his issues are largely just him being a product of his environment and feeling pressured to take his friends out and do dumb stuff, trying to impress them with his newfound wealth. I think he’d be hanging around a much different crowd if he were to move to a totally different city.

But yea he definitely has a lot of skill, some people call him one of those “all tools, no toolbox” players but I don’t think he’s exactly in the same category as an Etem, Yakupov, etc. Virtanen is pretty good defensively, has a decent IQ, and is totally capable of playing bottom 6 minutes if he doesn’t pan out as a scorer at the NHL level. I think he’s the prototype of the kind of bottom 6 player you want on a contender. I’m sure he could be had for Andersson, the media is basically running him out of town and he is being raked over the coals by the Canucks fanbase, media, and even his own teammates. He’s 100% gone this offseason. We have our own player with issues in Andersson, and he has the Pettersson connection

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The cap might prevent a Virtanen/Lias deal. Would have to be more coming off the books for NYR so they could sign some of their RFA's.

Reactions: Ola

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ryan Shea is about to sign with Dallas....

Bummer, thought he would've been a good get for the Rangers.

Sadly, not terribly surprising. His agent probably would’ve seen Lindgren, Miller, Robertson and Jones in the organization, and then taken into account the knowledge that the Rangers are looking for an established LD.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Rangers should draft their own Tom Wilson in this draft. need to protect Lafreniere although if he has Ovechkin or Messier in him I won't mind a skilled player fight to defend himself or the team.
I think both Lemiuex and Deangelo can play this role for the Rangers for sure, and to some extent Trouba can as well

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What is Ryan Shea projected as?

Personally, I don’t know if I see more than a third pairing upside for him. His skating and defensive positioning, though improved, doesn’t really strike me as carrying him to a more prominent role. At his best, he makes solid decisions with the puck and doesn’t try to get too cute. But I don’t know if he’ll be a big numbers guy as a pro.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think 22 would look good on him.

I think that whatever number he picks he will own and make his. This is the first time in our lifetimes we are drafting someone of who we could realistically say that, if everything goes according to plan, his number will go up in the rafters. That's how his career is expected to turn out. So, whether it's 4, 6, 22, 85 or 98... It doesn't really matter. But it would be great to see him go with a number that has not yet been used

Reactions: Cag29

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I think that whatever number he picks he will own and make his. This is the first time in our lifetimes we are drafting someone of who we could realistically say that, if everything goes according to plan, his number will go up in the rafters. That's how his career is expected to turn out. So, whether it's 4, 6, 22, 85 or 98... It doesn't really matter. But it would be great to see him go with a number that has not yet been used
I really hope he doesn’t use 4 or 6. Those numbers look ugly on forwards imo. The only single digit number I personally like for forwards is 9. I love number 9 on forwards.

I’ll be vying for him to use 22 probably. Although I also was asking Panarin to use 27 so maybe I’m jinxing myself.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I really hope he doesn’t use 4 or 6. Those numbers look ugly on forwards imo. The only single digit number I personally like for forwards is 9. I love number 9 on forwards.

I’ll be vying for him to use 22 probably. Although I also was asking Panarin to use 27 so maybe I’m jinxing myself.

I kinda liked Lecavalier and Hall with no 4. Boeser with 6 isn't bad either.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I've actually been advocating for a Sam Bennett trade for a few seasons now. I do think NYR could pick him up with a Georgiev trade.... 1 for 1. Think he'd play phenomenal hockey under Quinn and could push Howden to the press box.

But yes, Holloway has a lot to like. I would like to see more of his offense to come to fruition. In the end, I do think Holloway gets you a pretty good bottom-6 center/wing.

I would love Virtanen too. Maybe he is a bit too similar to Gauthier in terms of role in the lineup for him to be an optimal add, but physically he can match anyone currently in the league and he seems like a player that only could benefit from a change of scenery and fresh start.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Isn’t this NHLe regarded as a flawed statistic?

Question - so if he’s not a “Generational talent”, and he might not be, why would anybody propose trading the pick for a lesser player at #2 and a questionable #5 in which the mocks change the name daily?

Reads like he’s the safest pick.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What really can help a guy like Virtanen if he is moved, and have helped many others before him, is that it sometimes makes them 'change their game'. Like realize what they have to do to earn a job quite frankly. Brian Boyle is a good example. He went from aiming to be a scoring center to accepting to be a checker which made him effective. Virtanen's problem is that he just isn't good enough to be a power forward that drives to the net, uses his heavy shot as a sniper, and plays a generally physical game. He will only be effective if he accepts that his game will have zero glamour to it and will be all about doing the dirty work and paying attention to detail. Always showing up prepared and focused on the task at hand.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
EdJovanovski trying to figure out how to trade for Virtanen 3 off seasons in a row
tenor.gif
tenor.gif
ConstantSilverBlackfish-max-1mb.gif

This should be the season he's actually traded.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
DeAngelo has improved a lot and particularly under Quinn---it's not just his offensive game he's a better defender. He's a very good fighter for his size but saying that he is not really a physical player and that is more a size/strength dynamic and while his defending has improved it's not really the strength of his game. So he gets left off the PK almost entirely and you won't see him on the ice in the last minute of a game where we're defending a one goal lead. This is where Fox has an advantage over him--he's a little more defensive minded and stiffer to play against. Whether Fox ever becomes a 60 point player though is another question. Fox is also younger and on an ELC. Nils Lundkvist when he comes over will be on an ELC. Lundkivst's offensive game was built out of his defensive game and he's getting better and better. As a 19 year old he had a fantastic season in the SHL and IMO he's probably ready for the NHL right now.

And this is what puts Tony in kind of a spot. He's put up a lot of points and he's made good progress in becoming a better defender but he's also heading for a big payday with three years of flat cap on the horizon and after that depending and iffy and a Zibanejad contract that will have to be worked out in that flat cap time frame and you know if Kakko puts it together the Rangers are going to want to lock him up (and a year after that Lafreniere) and here is Lundkvist ready to go. The Rangers can go a bit further down the road with Tony but ultimately the Rangers RD looks like Trouba, Fox and Lundkvist to me. It might take two/three years to get there but that's what I see.

Reactions: Ola
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad