2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So assuming we land at 13th overall and 22nd overall, who ya got!?

13. Noel Gunler
22. Martin Chromiak

Other targets:

Zary, Mysak, Brisson, Amirov, Reichel

Chromiak way too high for my liking. Wouldn't mind swinging for him in the 3rd round. Just think he has a junior offense still and needs to develop a more pro game.

Hoping that Lundell or Gunler falls, but I think Zary is a great get at No. 13, as well as Holloway and Mercer. Wouldn't mind a reach on Mysak, either. To me, though, I think the way some defenders are trending and what Gorton said yesterday about this being a deep draft and leaning on defensive strength, I could see NYR going with a defender....

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Team needs to get into the top 10.

Assuming they keep the other pick (I'll be very surprised if they do) and it's somewhere in the 20's, I'd target guys like Colangelo or Farrell out of the USHL, or Ponomaryov,

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Updated mocks with final draft selections for the year (minus any post season trades)....

2020 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon

1 (14) C: Connor Zary (CAN)(6'0"/180lbs., Shot: Left, Kamloops/WHL)
1 (21) D: Kaiden Guhle (CAN)(6'3"/187lbs., Shot: Left, Prince Albert/WHL)

2020 NHL Mock Draft | 2020 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

1 (14) RW: Dawson Mercer (CAN)(6'0"/178lbs., Shot: Right, Chicoutimi/QMJHL)
1 (21) D: Jeremie Poirier (CAN)(6'0"/191lbs., Shot: Left, Saint John/QMJHL)

2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

1 (16) C: Mavrik Bourque (CAN)(5'8"/165lbs., Shot: Right, Shawinigan/QMJHL)
1 (21) C: Hendrix Lapierre (CAN)(6'0"/180lbs., Shot: Right, Chicoutimi/QMJHL)
3 (78) RW: Sam Colangelo (USA)(6'2"/205lbs., Shot: Right, Chicago/USHL) *20/21 Northeastern Commit*
3 (87) G: Joel Blomqvist (FIN)(6'1"/205lbs., Catches: Left, Karpat U20/Jr. A Liiga)
4 (109) RW: Martin Chromiak (SLV)(6'0"/180lbs., Shot: Right, Kingston/OHL)
5 (140) RW: Alex Young (CAN)(5'9"/180lbs., Shot: Right, Canmore/AJHL) *Overage +1**20/21 Colgate U. Commit*
6 (171) D: Lucas Ramberg (SWE)(6'0"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Lulea J20/SuperElit)
7 (197) D: Ryan Helliwell (CAN)(6'1"/174lbs., Shot: Left, Langley/BCHL) *20/21 U. of Notre Dame Commit*
7 (202) C: Vitali Pinchuk (BLR)(5'9"/165lbs., Shot: Left, Kingston/OHL)
7 (204) G: Devon Levi (CAN)(6'0"/182lbs., Shot: Left, Carleton Place/CCHL) *20/21 Northeastern Commit*

Pretty meh start to this draft, but I like the decisions later on. Don't think coming away with Bourque and Lapierre is a good idea, especially with NYR's firsts. Would prefer Bourque over Lapierre, though, I hope they don't pick either in the 1st (Bourque maybe later 1st). I really like the Colangelo pick. Think his style of play fits well with what NYR is trying to do. Not sure if he lasts until the 3rd round. Don't like the fact this draft has NYR taking two goalies, but I'm happy it's two good ones to sit on. Blomqvist is a highly rated prospect currently (third best European goalie in NHL midterm rankings). He's big, is getting bigger and got a couple of games in Liiga already. Levi is incredibly underrated, IMO. Star keeper for Carleton Place, similar to when Wall was drafted. Had two schools wanting him badly in Vermont and Northeastern, he chose Northeastern last month. Think he's a perfect late gem find in the 7th round. If I were to pick between the two goalies, I would choose Levi based on potential and draft placement. Use that other 3rd round pick on a forward. Chromiak is a great boom/bust pick in the 4th. Has offense pumping constantly, but just think it's a little junior-like. Would need to develop a pro game. Good to note, though, he's a late birthday (turning 18 at the end of August). I like the Young pick because he has consistently gotten better production over the years and is almost at 90 points on the season in the AJHL (league where Makar came out of). A little tiny, so not sure how he'll be in NCAA, but another boom/bust. Don't like that he's going to Colgate, though. Don't know Ramberg enough to comment on him, but good to note he is another late birthday (last day of June). Helliwell is interesting. He'll be a true freshman to a good school in Notre Dame, but not sure how he'll be utilized. Think his offensive game will stagnate in the NCAA and isn't too good defensively. Might be used as depth? Will be interesting to follow. Might want to pass on him, but it's a 7th round pick so I'm okay with it. Also a late birthday (early August). Pinchuk is another boom/bust pick to me. He's really good on the international level, but needs to adjust to North American ice. Is a tiny guy and won't perform well physically to maintain puck possession. Needs to get stronger, otherwise he'll be a career player in Europe.

Thoughts?

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Now that we again have multiple 1st round picks, I'd really love to see Gorton sack up and put together a package to move up into the top 5-7. Grab a potential impact player like Raymond (I'll gladly gamble on him, his skillset is tantalizing) if he slips or Rossi. If our system is as deep as people keep saying it is, then you can't tell me we don't have the assets to put a package like that together.

Back in 2018, I kept wishing that Gorton would have packaged the 9th and 22nd picks with whatever picks/prospects/young players necessary for the Canes to have parted with the 2nd pick in that draft. We have a lot of nice young pieces, but none of them look as good as Svechnikov does.

In light of the Kreider extension, so many have peddled the "how long can you keep rebuilding and accumulating assets before you actually start keeping good players?" argument. Well, I'll spin it in a different direction: how long can you keep rebuilding and accumulating assets before you start putting those assets to good use? Go out and use those assets to land a big fish. Put another impact talent at the top of our system.

Reactions: jas

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Now that we again have multiple 1st round picks, I'd really love to see Gorton sack up and put together a package to move up into the top 5-7. Grab a potential impact player like Raymond (I'll gladly gamble on him, his skillset is tantalizing) if he slips or Rossi. If our system is as deep as people keep saying it is, then you can't tell me we don't have the assets to put a package like that together.

Back in 2018, I kept wishing that Gorton would have packaged the 9th and 22nd picks with whatever picks/prospects/young players necessary for the Canes to have parted with the 2nd pick in that draft. We have a lot of nice young pieces, but none of them look as good as Svechnikov does.

In light of the Kreider extension, so many have peddled the "how long can you keep rebuilding and accumulating assets before you actually start keeping good players?" argument. Well, I'll spin it in a different direction: how long can you keep rebuilding and accumulating assets before you start putting those assets to good use? Go out and use those assets to land a big fish. Put another impact talent at the top of our system.

Yeah, that would have been nice, but one problem: Svech looked liked a stud and why would Carolina pass up on the chance to draft him for whatever pieces we could offer? That's like us trading down out of winning the KK lottery this year. It's just not going to happen.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

A lot easier said than done. It would've taken an over-payment to get Carolina to move from a chance to draft Svechnikov. Not just trading down.

But to note for this year, I really don't think it's that nonexistent to get into the tail end of the top 10 with those picks. I think NYR has also set themselves up nicely in regards to how the picks will fall. There is a very good chance both Toronto and Carolina don't make the playoffs. There's also a very good chance that NYR doesn't too. If those picks fall in the teens, it's very tempting piece for a lingering top 10 team to bite on and capitalize on quantity, while the Rangers get their guy (whoever that may be).

With that said, though, Gorton did mention yesterday that they feel this is a deep draft class so we'll see where everything lines up for them.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Yeah, that would have been nice, but one problem: Svech looked liked a stud and why would Carolina pass up on the chance to draft him for whatever pieces we could offer? That's like us trading down out of winning the KK lottery this year. It's just not going to happen.
Yup.

Sting, I would've loved to have seen him do that as well, but Carolina was no more interested in moving back from the spot where Svech was available than we would've been moving back from where Kakko was available. Was never going to happen, unfortunately.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I think everything has its price, Carolina's prospect pool didn't have nearly the depth that ours supposedly did, and I would have gladly overpaid (even drastically) to make that type of move - plus, Svech's value was in question as he was coming off a major injury. But that is the past, and it was just a hypothetical example. I'm talking about this year, and I'm not talking about Lafreniere here. Get to the 4-7 range where you should be able to get a Raymond or a Rossi, a player with serious talent. Enough stockpiling of decent prospects who might turn out to be 2nd or 3rd liners.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I think everything has its price, Carolina's prospect pool didn't have nearly the depth that ours supposedly did, and I would have gladly overpaid (even drastically) to make that type of move - plus, Svech's value was in question as he was coming off a major injury. But that is the past, and it was just a hypothetical example. I'm talking about this year, and I'm not talking about Lafreniere here. Get to the 4-7 range where you should be able to get a Raymond or a Rossi, a player with serious talent. Enough stockpiling of decent prospects who might turn out to be 2nd or 3rd liners.

Well I'm sure other teams had their concerns with his injury and well he'd come back from it. Agreed, it's in the past.

Again we'll see how the next couple of weeks plus any other post season moves will layout. Think NYR is in a good position to get their guy(s) that they want. Gorton did say yesterday that they think this is a deep draft class. I could see them staying where they end up.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Lots of talk about trading up, but in my opinion, something like 13+22 doesn’t even get close to the top 9 skaters in this draft. The drop off in talent is significant and the consensus is unlike it’s been in a long time. I don’t think adding an asset like Buch or a Georgiev to our 2 1sts gets it done. We would need to get really lucky on a team with drastically different opinions than the rest of the league.

Gunler is the name I’m higher on than most. I see him a small notch behind those big names. If we expect him to be on the board with our first 1st, there’s no way I consider moving up.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Lots of talk about trading up, but in my opinion, something like 13+22 doesn’t even get close to the top 9 skaters in this draft. The drop off in talent is significant and the consensus is unlike it’s been in a long time. I don’t think adding an asset like Buch or a Georgiev to our 2 1sts gets it done. We would need to get really lucky on a team with drastically different opinions than the rest of the league.

Gunler is the name I’m higher on than most. I see him a small notch behind those big names. If we expect him to be on the board with our first 1st, there’s no way I consider moving up.

Obviously the two picks would be a starting point, realistically, but if I'm trading up in the 4-7 range, I'm hoping one of those centermen or Holtz is available. Otherwise, I too, won't make the trade. Besides if the price is Buch, I don't think I'd make the deal. Maybe for Georgiev.

Gunler I think isn't that high on most lists and there hasn't really been a lot of talk on him going top 10. I could very well see him dropping, but not because he's bad, but more so other teams wants and needs. Think he is a lot better than most are giving him credit for.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
How high do you think Myšák will go and is he someone Rangers might want to target if they still have Carolina's pick (presumably late round) on the draft day?

Reactions: Bluenote13

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
How many trades have been made in the last 10 years to move into the top 10? 3?

None of them involved packaging picks to move up either, they were all player for pick deals (Carter to CBJ, Schenider to NJ, Stepan to AZ.) Even the supposed 2016 trade that would have netted the Rangers the 4OA would have been player for pick.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That depends entirely on where they finish. If they finish out of the top 10 and say with a low 20s other one, there is no chance of such a move.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
First tankathon in a while. Rangers get 2 and 21. Sign me up. Byfield and Gorton's choice of Guhle, Mysak and Wallinder. Barron's brother still sitting there too. Hopefully the go forward forward or have a trade lined up as mentioned by Edge. Wallinder is one of my faves this year if the team takes a D.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
It sounds like We will keep both picks but this is just me speculating. Gorton talked about it yesterday but being such a strong draft and not having a 2nd rounder I see that happening

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It sounds like We will keep both picks but this is just me speculating. Gorton talked about it yesterday but being such a strong draft and not having a 2nd rounder I see that happening
They do have some ammunition. 2 firsts, a second and 2 3rds.

For them to make any hay, they need a top 10 and for the other one to be in the early 20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad