Prospect Info: 2020 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Zero-interest in Poirier. I can't think of a prospect more "Un- Blues like". Besides, we have Perunovich as our next PMD.
I don't really have an opinion on Poirier one way or the other because I haven't seen him play. I do take exception to the idea that since Perunovich is a PMD we're set. In today's NHL, you need at least one guy on each pairing that is good at moving the puck, and Perunovich is far from proven at this level. I have high hopes for the guy, but if Poirier or another PMD is the best player available when the Blues are on the board, you take him and don't think twice.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't really have an opinion on Poirier one way or the other because I haven't seen him play. I do take exception to the idea that since Perunovich is a PMD we're set. In today's NHL, you need at least one guy on each pairing that is good at moving the puck, and Perunovich is far from proven at this level. I have high hopes for the guy, but if Poirier or another PMD is the best player available when the Blues are on the board, you take him and don't think twice.
I agree with you in principle, but I honestly do not see any circumstance where Poirier could be the BPA when we draft in the 1st round. If he is deemed to be so, then our scouts should be fired.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I agree with you in principle, but I honestly do not see any circumstance where Poirier could be the BPA when we draft in the 1st round. If he is deemed to be so, then our scouts should be fired.
I dunno. This draft isn't all that deep. You get outside of the top-10 and you aren't finding top-line players for the most part. Guys like Poirier or Askarov can deliver huge value if they slip a bit; and if the Blues scouts are convinced they can develop into quality pros, I think you'd have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Their track record selecting players relative to their peers has been outstanding for the better part of the past two decades.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Really don't agree this draft isn't deep. It's not 2015 deep, but I like it much better than 2019 and would put it ahead of 2016 so far.

There are going to be a slew of talented, yet risky, players all throughout picks 25 - 60.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Poirier is a terrible Defenceman....switch him to wing and he’d have a chance with that skill set.
That being said there’s a ton of intriguing and potential impact players available in the late 1st range.

Guys I’m super high on for the Blues pick(guessing 24 or later) would be Kristian Reichel, Kaiden Guhle, Tristan Robbins and Noel Gunler. other guys I like but not quite as much are JJ Peterka, Brendan Brisson, Marat khusnutdinov, O’rourke and Thomas Bordeleau probably in that order. Tho brisson and Peterka could flip depending on if u want the safer floor or higher risk guy.

if we move allen or something for a 2nd rounder. Would love to target any of Topi Niemela, Jake Neighbours, Emil Heineman, Jaromir Pytlik, Roni Hirvonen. and in the 3rd I think Colby Ambrosio is a slam dunk with his high end skating ability, mixed with some scoring ability and super high work ethic(could totally see him being a great bottom/middle 6 blues development project.

Reactions: mk80

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
Poirier is a terrible Defenceman....switch him to wing and he’d have a chance with that skill set.
That being said there’s a ton of intriguing and potential impact players available in the late 1st range.

Guys I’m super high on for the Blues pick(guessing 24 or later) would be Kristian Reichel, Kaiden Guhle, Tristan Robbins and Noel Gunler. other guys I like but not quite as much are JJ Peterka, Brendan Brisson, Marat khusnutdinov, O’rourke and Thomas Bordeleau probably in that order. Tho brisson and Peterka could flip depending on if u want the safer floor or higher risk guy.

if we move allen or something for a 2nd rounder. Would love to target any of Topi Niemela, Jake Neighbours, Emil Heineman, Jaromir Pytlik, Roni Hirvonen. and in the 3rd I think Colby Ambrosio is a slam dunk with his high end skating ability, mixed with some scoring ability and super high work ethic(could totally see him being a great bottom/middle 6 blues development project.

Haven't had a chance to watch Reichel, Robbins, or Gunler, but at this point, I'd love for the Blues to come away Brendan Brisson. Kid would fit in nicely in our top 6 in 3 years.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Best Player Available for sure and hopefully its the last pick of the first round. Would really like to land Brisson, Reichel, or Bourque.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Really don't agree this draft isn't deep. It's not 2015 deep, but I like it much better than 2019 and would put it ahead of 2016 so far.

There are going to be a slew of talented, yet risky, players all throughout picks 25 - 60.

And I disagree with that assessment.
I don't see a whole lot of offensive skill this year.
A lot of the guys this year are getting ranked high because of their defensive play and the ones who do have legit top-end skill have some very serious knocks against them.

I think this is a good year to stock up on some foot-soldier types(30-50ish point middle 6 forwards/2nd pair D men), but I don't see a lot of scoring talent this year. This years Draft seems to be geared more towards "good depth players" than it does "potential steals". I would agree that there is a group of about 50-60 guys that look like legit mid-level NHL'ers(which is pretty solid in terms of raw numbers), but the high-end skill guys just aren't there.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
And I disagree with that assessment.
I don't see a whole lot of offensive skill this year.
A lot of the guys this year are getting ranked high because of their defensive play and the ones who do have legit top-end skill have some very serious knocks against them.

I think this is a good year to stock up on some foot-soldier types(30-50ish point middle 6 forwards/2nd pair D men), but I don't see a lot of scoring talent this year. This years Draft seems to be geared more towards "good depth players" than it does "potential steals". I would agree that there is a group of about 50-60 guys that look like legit mid-level NHL'ers(which is pretty solid in terms of raw numbers), but the high-end skill guys just aren't there.
Maybe I need to better define "talent" but finding players that can contribute up to 50 points in the NHL is certainly more than the traditional definition of "depth player".

Regardless, I don't agree with the concept that there are not talented scoring players when forward options like Brendan Brisson, Tyson Foerster, Kasper Simontaival, Zion Nybeck, Samuel Colangelo, Jan Mysak, Marat Khusnutdinov, Noel Gunler, and Vasili Ponomareyov could be available between picks 25 - 60. These players have quality talents in various areas that could put themselves on the 3rd or 2nd line of NHL teams if developed properly. Then there are some high-risk, high reward defensemen like Jeremie Porier (as much as I don't like him), William Wallinder, and Lukas Cormier that can become solid top-4 options based on their offensive weapons. They're all rather risky players as they all have deficiencies that could hamper them moving forward, but good talent.

Are you going to being finding first line talents throughout picks 25 - 60? Potentially, but doubtful. Then again, that's true for any draft when talking about 2nd round picks. That's the reason they're 2nd round picks, because the chances they become 1st line or top pairing players is incredibly low.

I think this draft is shaping up to be one of the better drafts the NHL has seen in recent years. That is until the tsunami that is the 2022 draft occurs and any team drafting in the top-10 will end up with a franchise player.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
In Pronman’s most recent mock draft he has the Blues taking Colangelo at 30. He also mentioned Gunler (who was taken at 25 in this exercise) as another option.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
According to this website, right now the Blues would pick 23rd - who would reasonably be available in that spot that peaks your interest?

Blackhawks will have No. 17 overall pick in 2020 NHL Draft

If true, that's a solid place to be in this draft. There's potential for a faller, but I wouldn't count on it. It's much better for getting the best of the 1st-and-2nd rounder inbetweeners. Marat Khusnutdinov, Noel Gunler, Ryan O'Rourke, and Mavrik Bourque would all be solid choices with a pick like that.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I'd be curious if Dunn+23 could be enough to pry 7 away from New Jersey

A lot of talent still going to be available at 7: Perfetti, Rossi, Sanderson, Lundell? Could be nice (although I don't see NJ trading that). Doing a trade with them for the Arizona pick doesn't seem that bad either, this draft is quite deep and drafting 2 guys around 18-25 could be nice. Or, if the Blues think this draft is REALLY deep, trade him for all 3 of the Habs 2nds

Last edited:

Note fan in Big D

Oct 22, 2008
Texas
Which of the following is our draft position based on?

- Pre-Rona standings (No. 1 in West)
- Post Round-Robin standings for playoff seeding (No. 4 in West)
- First Round exit

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
found this info here NHL Draft Rules - NHL - DraftSite.com
for a normal year:
Draft Order: The 14 teams who did not make the playoffs are eligible for the draft lottery, with the teams with lower total regular season points receiving more number combinations, and the winner gets the first overall pick. The rest of the picks are determined by reverse order of elimination from the playoffs, with the Stanley Cup winner receiving the last pick. For teams that were eliminated in the same round, the teams with the lower regular season point total gets the higher pick. All of the subsequent rounds are ordered in the same manner

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
23rd pick is a crap-shoot on talent. Could be a good 3rd liner possibly a second, but will most likely take several years to pan out (unless they get very lucky). If that pick can be used to improve the team or help sign AP, then you feel better about that than losing say a top 10 pick.

If you look at our late 1st round draft picks (15+) for the last 10 drafts:

2019 - No pick
2018 - #25 Dominik Bokk
2017 - #20 Robert Thomas / #31Klim Kostin
2016 - #26 Tage Thompson
2015 - No pick
2014 - #21 Robbie Fabbri
2013 - No pick
2012 - #25 Jordan Schmaltz
2011 - No pick
2010 - #14 Jayden Schwartz / #15 Vladimir Tarasenko
2009 - #17 David Rundblad

Out of that list, Thomas has a good ceiling. Schwartz and Tarasenko are proven. So out of 9 picks, 3 are top 6 players. The rest are bottom guys who you can find in later rounds or in the scrap bin.

Reactions: Bluesnatic27

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
23rd pick is a crap-shoot on talent. Could be a good 3rd liner possibly a second, but will most likely take several years to pan out (unless they get very lucky). If that pick can be used to improve the team or help sign AP, then you feel better about that than losing say a top 10 pick.

If you look at our late 1st round draft picks (15+) for the last 10 drafts:

2019 - No pick
2018 - #25 Dominik Bokk
2017 - #20 Robert Thomas / #31Klim Kostin
2016 - #26 Tage Thompson
2015 - No pick
2014 - #21 Robbie Fabbri
2013 - No pick
2012 - #25 Jordan Schmaltz
2011 - No pick
2010 - #14 Jayden Schwartz / #15 Vladimir Tarasenko
2009 - #17 David Rundblad

Out of that list, Thomas has a good ceiling. Schwartz and Tarasenko are proven. So out of 9 picks, 3 are top 6 players. The rest are bottom guys who you can find in later rounds or in the scrap bin.

Man, “crap shoot” territory creeps higher and higher every year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->