Prospect Info: 2020 Draft Rankings By Position -- RD

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2020 Rankings By Position — Right Defense

There’s a lot of talk about how strong and deep the 2020 draft class is, but this is not the case at RD. Unfortunately for the Devils, this is probably their greatest organizational position of need. On the professional level, Damon Severson is their only legit pro RD under the age of 30. In the prospect ranks, Reilly Walsh has the upside of an offensive mid-pairing defenseman, while Case McCarthy has all the elements of a perfect physical stay-at-home partner for a puck-moving LD on one of your bottom two pairs. However, there is no depth in the system behind these promising youngsters.
For the Devils, the dream scenario is that blue-chip Jamie Drysdale falls to them at the #7 pick. If that does not occur, New Jersey is better off waiting until the mid-rounds to try to snag some depth at RD. On to the rankings…
  1. Jamie Drysdale, Erie OHL just an electrifying player, his elite combination of skating, vision, passing puck-handling compares quite well to young NHL star Cale Makar’s. Despite being undersized and offensive-minded, Drysdale is also quite effective defensively and does not shy from physicality. A future top-pairing stud, and no player on this list even remotely challenges him as the top available RD in 2020.
  2. Braden Schneider, Brandon WHL the throwback! There is no goalie on earth who would not like to look in front of them and see a bruising, physical 6’2-210 rearguard with excellent skating ability and an almost supernatural gift for separating opposing forwards from the puck and clearing it up ice. He may peak as a 30 point guy, but his upside is a more physical Jake Slavin. Like Drysdale at #1, there is no challenge to Schneider ay #2.
  3. Justin Barron, Halifax QMJHL we’ll call him “most likely to go higher than his consensus ranking”. Barron struggled with injury during his draft-eligible season and has no stand out tools, but he’s also very good when healthy and has no weakness. He skates well, is excellent in his own zone, can contribute offensively, is smart and is physical without being a bruiser. He prefers the safe play and makes very few mistakes, positionally or mentally. A future NHL mid-pairing stalwart.
  4. Topi Niemela, Karpat FIN here’s your big “upside” second round RD. Niemela combines outstanding skating proficiency with a very strong shot, excellent vision and an admirable three-zone game. Though he needs to build core strength at 6’0-165, his compete level and physicality are quite good, and his defensive game is solid. All that is keeping him from the first round is a penchant to cough up pucks and make mistakes when under extreme pressure. If he can remedy this and get stronger, Niemela’s upside is tremendous.
  5. Brock Faber, US-NTDP USHL maybe the sleeper of the entire 2020 draft. A 6’0-190 defenseman with excellent skating, advanced defensive positioning and instincts, and a high hockey IQ. He prefers to play the safe game, but can also rush the puck when necessary, and is a fine passer. He does not look to initiate physicality, but is incredibly strong and seems to win any physical battle. I think he’s a lock as an NHL-er, but with a bit more assertiveness can even potentially become a mid- or even top pairing guy.
  6. Ian Moore, St. Mark’s USHS I am shocked this kid has not received more (pun intended) buzz. Though he is still raw and largely untested against reasonable competition, Moore matches a 6’3 frame with terrific skates, an excellent shot and a physical edge. Like Niemela, a few improvements in his game can unlock an enormous upside, if you have the patience to let him develop at Harvard for the next few seasons.
  7. William Villeneuve, Saint John QMJHL a 50-point D in an abbreviated season, this kid can produce offense. He combines very good skating and passing with an underrated bullet of a shot. He would be higher on this list were it not for an inexplicable timidness — he can stand to become more assertive with the puck, defensively and physically. But the tools are there, and he should be able to produce as the QB for an NHL PP2.
  8. Eamon Powell, US-NTDP USHL though he’s mostly known as Jake Sanderson’s defense partner, Powell is pretty darned good on his own. What stands out is easy — he is the best skater of any defenseman in the entire class of 2020. The kid just flies. He’s also an excellent stickhandler and fantastic puck-distributor. His point-production ceiling is sky high, but he has the same problems as any 160-pound offensive defenseman — he has huge problems down low versus stronger opposition forwards and, though not terrible defensively, is not the guy you want out there protecting a late one-goal lead.
  9. Helge Grans, Malmo SWE JR physically, this kid has it all. At 6’3-195 with excellent skates and a good first-pass, you’d expect him to be higher on this list. If he improves his positional play defensively and decision-making offensively, he can certainly prove me wrong in a few years. I think he’s a solid bet to be a third-pairing NHLer, but with his enviable tool kit he leaves me wanting more.
  10. Ruben Rafkin, Windsor OHL his compete level is just infectious, if there’s anything to love about Rafkin it’s how much the young Finn lives to battle. He’s very physical for 6’0-190, and advanced defensively. He’s also a very good skater and good with the puck, despite lacking any dynamic offensive qualities. A fine mid-round pick for your future bottom 4.
  11. Michael Krutil, Sparta Praha CZE JR a physical, 6’1-190 defense-first kid who loves the bang bodies around, Krutil is also a good skater who dishes deft outlet passes. He’s never going to put up huge numbers, just a good, safe pick for your bottom 4.
  12. Michael Benning, Sherwood Park AJHL the son of Vancouver GM Jim Benning, I’d guess they’ll pick him in the 4th round. But he’s a very good pick there — his puck skills, vision and smarts are all high-end. Were he not 5’9-160 with defensive deficiencies which need work, he would likely be a second round pick.
  13. Mason Langenbrunner, Eden Prairie USHS another NHL legacy, and I’d wager a guess that most Devils fans know right away who his dad is. The first thing to strike you about this kid is he’s simply a phenomenal skater. He’s a slim 6’2, but offers a projectable frame. His passing and vision are both high-end, and it’s going to be fun watching him develop at Harvard the next few years.
  14. Jake Boltmann, Lincoln USHL at 6’1-190, this young talent plays an NHL-style puck moving game. He’s a very good shooter, decent skater, and has excellent puck skills. Another player whose development can take off in the NCAA, where he is committed to the University of Minnesota.
  15. Kaspar Puutio, Swift Current WHL a slick-skating 6’0-185 RD with a crisp first pass and very strong confidence with the puck, the young Finn will surely hear his name called in the middle rounds. Needs to work on some defensive flaws and a distaste for physicality, but certainly has upside.

Thanks for reading! I'll try to have the next list (LD) out in the upcoming few days, leading up to my overall rankings prior to the draft.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
2020 Rankings By Position — Right Defense

There’s a lot of talk about how strong and deep the 2020 draft class is, but this is not the case at RD. Unfortunately for the Devils, this is probably their greatest organizational position of need. On the professional level, Damon Severson is their only legit pro RD under the age of 30. In the prospect ranks, Reilly Walsh has the upside of an offensive mid-pairing defenseman, while Case McCarthy has all the elements of a perfect physical stay-at-home partner for a puck-moving LD on one of your bottom two pairs. However, there is no depth in the system behind these promising youngsters.
For the Devils, the dream scenario is that blue-chip Jamie Drysdale falls to them at the #7 pick. If that does not occur, New Jersey is better off waiting until the mid-rounds to try to snag some depth at RD. On to the rankings…
  1. Jamie Drysdale, Erie OHL just an electrifying player, his elite combination of skating, vision, passing puck-handling compares quite well to young NHL star Cale Makar’s. Despite being undersized and offensive-minded, Drysdale is also quite effective defensively and does not shy from physicality. A future top-pairing stud, and no player on this list even remotely challenges him as the top available RD in 2020.
  2. Braden Schneider, Brandon WHL the throwback! There is no goalie on earth who would not like to look in front of them and see a bruising, physical 6’2-210 rearguard with excellent skating ability and an almost supernatural gift for separating opposing forwards from the puck and clearing it up ice. He may peak as a 30 point guy, but his upside is a more physical Jake Slavin. Like Drysdale at #1, there is no challenge to Schneider ay #2.
  3. Justin Barron, Halifax QMJHL we’ll call him “most likely to go higher than his consensus ranking”. Barron struggled with injury during his draft-eligible season and has no stand out tools, but he’s also very good when healthy and has no weakness. He skates well, is excellent in his own zone, can contribute offensively, is smart and is physical without being a bruiser. He prefers the safe play and makes very few mistakes, positionally or mentally. A future NHL mid-pairing stalwart.
  4. Topi Niemela, Karpat FIN here’s your big “upside” second round RD. Niemela combines outstanding skating proficiency with a very strong shot, excellent vision and an admirable three-zone game. Though he needs to build core strength at 6’0-165, his compete level and physicality are quite good, and his defensive game is solid. All that is keeping him from the first round is a penchant to cough up pucks and make mistakes when under extreme pressure. If he can remedy this and get stronger, Niemela’s upside is tremendous.
  5. Brock Faber, US-NTDP USHL maybe the sleeper of the entire 2020 draft. A 6’0-190 defenseman with excellent skating, advanced defensive positioning and instincts, and a high hockey IQ. He prefers to play the safe game, but can also rush the puck when necessary, and is a fine passer. He does not look to initiate physicality, but is incredibly strong and seems to win any physical battle. I think he’s a lock as an NHL-er, but with a bit more assertiveness can even potentially become a mid- or even top pairing guy.
  6. Ian Moore, St. Mark’s USHS I am shocked this kid has not received more (pun intended) buzz. Though he is still raw and largely untested against reasonable competition, Moore matches a 6’3 frame with terrific skates, an excellent shot and a physical edge. Like Niemela, a few improvements in his game can unlock an enormous upside, if you have the patience to let him develop at Harvard for the next few seasons.
  7. William Villeneuve, Saint John QMJHL a 50-point D in an abbreviated season, this kid can produce offense. He combines very good skating and passing with an underrated bullet of a shot. He would be higher on this list were it not for an inexplicable timidness — he can stand to become more assertive with the puck, defensively and physically. But the tools are there, and he should be able to produce as the QB for an NHL PP2.
  8. Eamon Powell, US-NTDP USHL though he’s mostly known as Jake Sanderson’s defense partner, Powell is pretty darned good on his own. What stands out is easy — he is the best skater of any defenseman in the entire class of 2020. The kid just flies. He’s also an excellent stickhandler and fantastic puck-distributor. His point-production ceiling is sky high, but he has the same problems as any 160-pound offensive defenseman — he has huge problems down low versus stronger opposition forwards and, though not terrible defensively, is not the guy you want out there protecting a late one-goal lead.
  9. Helge Grans, Malmo SWE JR physically, this kid has it all. At 6’3-195 with excellent skates and a good first-pass, you’d expect him to be higher on this list. If he improves his positional play defensively and decision-making offensively, he can certainly prove me wrong in a few years. I think he’s a solid bet to be a third-pairing NHLer, but with his enviable tool kit he leaves me wanting more.
  10. Ruben Rafkin, Windsor OHL his compete level is just infectious, if there’s anything to love about Rafkin it’s how much the young Finn lives to battle. He’s very physical for 6’0-190, and advanced defensively. He’s also a very good skater and good with the puck, despite lacking any dynamic offensive qualities. A fine mid-round pick for your future bottom 4.
  11. Michael Krutil, Sparta Praha CZE JR a physical, 6’1-190 defense-first kid who loves the bang bodies around, Krutil is also a good skater who dishes deft outlet passes. He’s never going to put up huge numbers, just a good, safe pick for your bottom 4.
  12. Michael Benning, Sherwood Park AJHL the son of Vancouver GM Jim Benning, I’d guess they’ll pick him in the 4th round. But he’s a very good pick there — his puck skills, vision and smarts are all high-end. Were he not 5’9-160 with defensive deficiencies which need work, he would likely be a second round pick.
  13. Mason Langenbrunner, Eden Prairie USHS another NHL legacy, and I’d wager a guess that most Devils fans know right away who his dad is. The first thing to strike you about this kid is he’s simply a phenomenal skater. He’s a slim 6’2, but offers a projectable frame. His passing and vision are both high-end, and it’s going to be fun watching him develop at Harvard the next few years.
  14. Jake Boltmann, Lincoln USHL at 6’1-190, this young talent plays an NHL-style puck moving game. He’s a very good shooter, decent skater, and has excellent puck skills. Another player whose development can take off in the NCAA, where he is committed to the University of Minnesota.
  15. Kaspar Puutio, Swift Current WHL a slick-skating 6’0-185 RD with a crisp first pass and very strong confidence with the puck, the young Finn will surely hear his name called in the middle rounds. Needs to work on some defensive flaws and a distaste for physicality, but certainly has upside.

Thanks for reading! I'll try to have the next list (LD) out in the upcoming few days, leading up to my overall rankings prior to the draft.

This is where a second and third round pick or two would have helped. Thanks for the position specific analysis. Lots of intriguing prospects there. But why does it always have to be Harvard? Don't these kids want to play at Cornell anymore?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This is where a second and third round pick or two would have helped. Thanks for the position specific analysis. Lots of intriguing prospects there. But why does it always have to be Harvard? Don't these kids want to play at Cornell anymore?

Believe it or not, some of these kids will be available into the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. You're going to need a 1st round pick for Drysdale, Schneider or Barron. You're going to need a later first or second rounder for Grans, Niemela, Villeneuve and probably Moore.

But Brock Faber? He's a guy who could fall into the 4th round who could conceivably wind up being a top three D in this entire draft. Everybody I have not just mentioned on my list could conceivable fall as low as the 7th round. I've barely seen Krutil, Langenbrunner or Boltmann mentioned by most draft writers. I'm not saying those kids aren't projects, but I am saying they deserve more attention than they have gotten.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I Don't know anything about Schneider but that sounds like exactly what we need

I wonder if he'd be in consideration with the Vancouver pick if we get it

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

My hypothesis is that -- if the Devils have three picks in the first round -- one will be used on a defender. So, let's say that (and this is quite possible) both Drysdale and Sanderson are gone when the Devils pick at #7. The Devils take a top F like Holtz or Rossi. Of course, most knowledgeable Devils fans would be happy with this. Then the Devils pick next at #11 -- I would guess LD Kaiden Guhle would be strongly considered here. But I can't see the Devils taking him over a potential first-line scoring RW like Jack Quinn or Dawson Mercer.

In this scenario, the Vancouver pick (somewhere in the #17 to #19 range) would certainly focus on a defenseman. Keeping in mind that the Devils next selection is not until the third round and defense is thinner in the organization than F, Schneider would certainly be a strong possibility here. I would also guess that, in a draft deeper at F than D, this would increase the chances of a trade-down scenario. The Devils could fall into the late 20s and likely wind up with a defenseman like O'Rourke or Barron, and gain a second round pick in the process.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

He the best actual defender in this draft class in my opinion. But I don't think that there's any real chance he develops an offensive game, which is why he is below Sanderson in my overall rankings. But I like him more than Guhle

Last edited:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
This is awesome! Thanks for all of your work as always.

Hate to be a pain, but could you give like a range of approximately where you think they'll go in the draft? Like early, mid, late and then the round number?

I don't know a lot of the guys past 1-15 or so this year. Would be really helpful for me to better understand where these guys are going to go

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
He the best actual defender in this draft class in my opinion. But I don't think that there's any real chance he develops an offensive game, which is why he is below Sanderson in my overall rankings. But I like him more than Guhle

I'm just throwing this together because you raise a very interesting point, but if I'm ranking the 2020 D class strictly on defensive ability and ignoring the offensive zone? Here's my top rankings:

1 Sanderson
2 Schneider
3 O'Rourke
4 Faber
5 Guhle
6 Kleven
7 Barron
8 Andrae

Reactions: Forge and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This is awesome! Thanks for all of your work as always.

Hate to be a pain, but could you give like a range of approximately where you think they'll go in the draft? Like early, mid, late and then the round number?

I don't know a lot of the guys past 1-15 or so this year. Would be really helpful for me to better understand where these guys are going to go

Don't hold me to this, it's tough to predict what all the teams draft boards look like:

1 Drysdale top 7 overall
2 Schneider top 15
3 Barron 20-30 overall
4 Niemela 2nd round
5 Faber 3rd round
6 Moore 2nd round
7 Villeneuve 2nd round
8 Powell 3rd/4th round
9 Grans 20-40 overall
10 Rafkin 3rd/4th round
11 Krutil 5th-7th round
12 Benning to Vancouver in the 4th round, ha
13 Langenbrunner 5th-7th round
14 Boltmann 5th-7th round
15 Puutio 4th-5th round

I realize that my rankings differ from other rankings. I think Faber is an absolute stud, I would consider him as early as the mid-20s overall. A lot of draft writers have not included Faber in their top 100 overall. But most people think that about Grans, whom I would not strongly consider until the third round.

I see players differently than most. I love tools as much as the next guy, but I factor in hockey IQ and compete level more than most, and Faber is elite in both of those categories while offering very good physical tools across the board. But the ridiculously high-end hockey sense/heart make me think Faber's tools will all "play up", so to speak. He's my dream scenario for the Devils in the third round.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Don't hold me to this, it's tough to predict what all the teams draft boards look like:

1 Drysdale top 7 overall
2 Schneider top 15
3 Barron 20-30 overall
4 Niemela 2nd round
5 Faber 3rd round
6 Moore 2nd round
7 Villeneuve 2nd round
8 Powell 3rd/4th round
9 Grans 20-40 overall
10 Rafkin 3rd/4th round
11 Krutil 5th-7th round
12 Benning to Vancouver in the 4th round, ha
13 Langenbrunner 5th-7th round
14 Boltmann 5th-7th round
15 Puutio 4th-5th round

I realize that my rankings differ from other rankings. I think Faber is an absolute stud, I would consider him as early as the mid-20s overall. A lot of draft writers have not included Faber in their top 100 overall. But most people think that about Grans, whom I would not strongly consider until the third round.

I see players differently than most. I love tools as much as the next guy, but I factor in hockey IQ and compete level more than most, and Faber is elite in both of those categories while offering very good physical tools across the board. But the ridiculously high-end hockey sense/heart make me think Faber's tools will all "play up", so to speak. He's my dream scenario for the Devils in the third round.

Awesome, thanks!!!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
As I am far from perfect, I'd like to add an addendum here. I've been watching as much film as I can on Seattle RD Simon Kubicek and have really been liking what I've seen out of him. He's big, pretty skilled, skates well, tough and plays very solid D. Kubicek definitely belongs on this list, and I screwed up for omitting him. I'll have him on my final top 62 (or 93, if I can find the time) prospect rankings.

Reactions: My3Sons and TBF1972

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
As I am far from perfect, I'd like to add an addendum here. I've been watching as much film as I can on Seattle RD Simon Kubicek and have really been liking what I've seen out of him. He's big, pretty skilled, skates well, tough and plays very solid D. Kubicek definitely belongs on this list, and I screwed up for omitting him. I'll have him on my final top 62 (or 93, if I can find the time) prospect rankings.
you can still edit your original post.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm busy editing a novel and working on my center rankings. I figure I'll make up for it with my final rankings. Kubicek is deserving of that.

Remind me to pitch you my idea for a novel about a dystopian future where humans are subservient to golden retrievers and have to constantly pet them and play with them while trapped inside during a pandemic. It’s truly chilling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad