2020 Draft Poll

Who would you take at 5th and 9th

• Total voters

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I also think they will make a run at Cale Morris.
It would make sense. They have to manage contract spots so if they can only fit in one more goalie, they have to decide who they want more. Morris has more of a resume.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Askarov is signed until 2022. Drafting him would have zero impact on Gravel and Peeters. Peeters was left unsigned because he's straight up garbage. To me Gravel looked like he could be a backup, but I think the Hawks probably feel like they have enough backup goalies with Delia and Lankinen.

Them going unsigned does not mean the Hawks are selecting Askarov. No relation.
I also think they
will make a run at Cale Morris.

What do you two think of Morris?

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Whelp.

With the 5th pick in the 2020 NHL draft HF Hawks select from Frolunda Lucas Raymond.

FCBB9228-1F54-4522-BE98-141E6EFCC8FC.jpeg

With the 9th pick in the 2020 NHL draft HF Hawks select from the Ottawa 67’s Jack Quinn.

60B7C2AA-6821-4D1F-83D5-D6ED7EE04934.jpeg

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Raymond/Drysdale @ 5 -- Doubtful Drysdale will be there so a third choice would probably be Rossi. If we ended up with another center like Rossi, we could probably move Strome for a solid winger(Unite Willy and Alex Nylander together somehow)

Askarov is probably best pick available at 9 regardless of what the sub thinks, but Quinn/Jarvis are likely acceptable. I just don't want to end up with a Lias Andersson or another Koekkoek bottom pairing. My heart can't handle a year where we sucked this bad for a bust. At least let me have hype/hope.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Interesting. Those are the exact two players I think the Hawks would pick at 5 and 9 if available.

I expect the top 10 to be out of whack from a team reaching on a player. Odds are we end up with Perfetti since no one voted for him. Lol. This should be a fun top ten when it happens because I doubt it goes the way everyone thinks.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Can't see them in any form using their first round pick on askarov.
Right wing probably, but best player available.
There are 3 teams in dire need of a young stud goaltender for the future...The Black Hawks,Wild and Sens! The Canes could use one too and the Bruins,Red Wings and Sharks but he won't last that long unless they make a deal and get into the 9-13 range of the first round!

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I expect the top 10 to be out of whack from a team reaching on a player. Odds are we end up with Perfetti since no one voted for him. Lol. This should be a fun top ten when it happens because I doubt it goes the way everyone thinks.
It's gonna be a weird one if Sanderson and Askarov get thrown in the mix. Maybe even Jack Quinn and Anton Lundell could go before the Hawks. Rossi could slip to 8. A lot could happen.

I would hope the Hawks don't value Perfetti very much. I fear his game won't translate very well. 9 is the lowest I've seen him ranked...hope he doesn't make it.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
New Jersey at 6 would be the only possible team drafting ahead of us that would take Askarov. New Jersey MAY feel like they can get him at 10, BUT if Stan can create some smoke and mirrors he could force New Jersey into taking Askarov at 6 out of fear, since Chicago looks like they could take Askarov at 9 due to our goalie situation.

This would all be a clever ruse to get a stud to slip down to us.

Which would force this situation to occur:

Detroit: Lafreniere
Ottawa: Byfield
Ottawa: Drysdale
LA: Stutzle
Anaheim: Holtz/Perfetti
New Jersey: Askarov
Buffalo: Perfetti/Holtz
Montreal: Rossi/Raymond
Chicago: Raymond/Rossi

Last edited:
Reactions: TPOEJ6489

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
New Jersey at 6 would be the only possible team drafting ahead of us that would take Askarov. New Jersey MAY feel like they can get him at 10, BUT if Stan can create some smoke and mirrors he could force New Jersey into taking Askarov at 6 out of fear, since Chicago looks like they could take Askarov at 9 due to our goalie situation.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jersey took Sanderson depending where they end up.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
What do you two think of Morris?
BK would have the better opinion since he's the goalie guy.

But I've seen Morris in the playoffs and came away impressed. He's not the biggest (same size as Lundqvist) but his positioning is sound and he remains calm under pressure.

Chicago would be an appealing destination for him since he played for the Steel in juniors and we have a backup spot wide open + a starter position opening very soon. (and he played with Dennis Gilbert so he has a buddy in the organization)

Last edited:

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com

Can’t see NJ taking Askarov at 6. There’s no real risk of him getting drafted besides by the Hawks. Montreal and Buffalo don’t have a need for a goaltender with Primeau and Luukkonen.

Further NJ has their center pool pretty stacked with Hughes & Hischier; Same with Montreal’s future top 6(Suzuki, Kotkaniemi) — could see them both drafting BPA and securing much needed wingers at 6th/8th OA in Raymond/Holtz. And if Rossi is available at 7th for Buffalo it’s no question, it would complete their one two punch with Eichel. NJ is a few years out from actually competing so they have time to solve their goaltending problems if decide to risk not getting Askarov at 10.

I have so far:

Lafreniere (Det/Ott)
Byfield (Det/Ott)
Stutzle (Det/Ott)
Drysdale (LA)

Rossi/Perfetti (ANA)
Raymond/Holtz (NJ)
Rossi/Perfetti (BUF)
Raymond/Holtz (MTL)

??? (CHI)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaners PPGs

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014

I could definitely see Buffalo taking Perfetti. Just seems like such a Buffalo thing to do. If the draft were to fall like that, I think Rossi goes to Anaheim instead of the two you mentioned. Then either Holtz or Raymond goes to Montreal. That could go either way depending on if they value Holtz’s potentially elite shot or Raymond’s two-way game more. If we picked 9th and Raymond somehow fell to us, I’d be ecstatic. Dude would be perfect on Dach’s wing in the future.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Alternate scenario:

New Jersey takes Sanderson at 6 as the first real reach of the draft as they don’t want to risk him not being there by the Arizona pick. Things shake out like this:

1. Detroit- Lafreniere
2. Ottawa- Byfield
3. Ottawa- Stutzle
4. LA- Drysdale
5. Anaheim- Rossi
6. New Jersey- Sanderson
7. Buffalo- Perfetti
8. Montreal- Holtz/Raymond
9. Chicago- Whichever of Holtz/Raymond is there still

Reactions: Styles

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I could definitely see Buffalo taking Perfetti. Just seems like such a Buffalo thing to do. If the draft were to fall like that, I think Rossi goes to Anaheim instead of the two you mentioned. Then either Holtz or Raymond goes to Montreal. That could go either way depending on if they value Holtz’s potentially elite shot or Raymond’s two-way game more. If we picked 9th and Raymond somehow fell to us, I’d be ecstatic. Dude would be perfect on Dach’s wing in the future.
Raymond is the dream, man...

We need to pray for a Forsberg situation.

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Alternate scenario:

New Jersey takes Sanderson at 6 as the first real reach of the draft as they don’t want to risk him not being there by the Arizona pick. Things shake out like this:

1. Detroit- Lafreniere
2. Ottawa- Byfield
3. Ottawa- Stutzle
4. LA- Drysdale
5. Anaheim- Rossi
6. New Jersey- Sanderson
7. Buffalo- Perfetti

this is wildly optimistic, what in the world makes people think a team would reach for a top 4/6 D but pass up on a franchise goaltender. If the Hawks took Sanderson at 9 I think we’d riot

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Alternate scenario:

1. Detroit- Lafreniere
2. Ottawa- Byfield
3. Ottawa- Stutzle
4. LA- Drysdale
5. Anaheim- Rossi
6. New Jersey- Sanderson
7. Buffalo- Perfetti
Even better... we see a run on defenders. Buffalo takes Guhle at 7, leaving Montreal to take a Perfetti cause Berg LOVES small kids.

Leaving Chicago with the easy choice of drafting Lucas Raymond.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
this is wildly optimistic, what in the world makes people think a team would reach for a top 4/6 D but pass up on a franchise goaltender. If the Hawks took Sanderson at 9 I think we’d riot

NJ needs D and we don’t know how they view Sanderson. Perhaps they’re high on him. I think he easily has top-4 D potential and if they think he could be a 2/3 D and might not be there at 10 or whatever Arizona’s pick is (a very real possibility), they might not want to risk not getting a d-man with one of their early 1sts. Who thought Seider would go 6th last year? Or Broberg 8th? Both were considered likely to go in the 10-15 range much like Sanderson is this year.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Even better... we see a run on defenders. Buffalo takes Guhle at 7, leaving Montreal to take a Perfetti cause Berg LOVES small kids.

Leaving Chicago with the easy choice of drafting Lucas Raymond.

I might literally die laughing if Buffalo takes Guhle at 7. Now THAT would be a Buffalo moment.

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
NJ needs D and we don’t know how they view Sanderson. Perhaps they’re high on him. I think he easily has top-4 D potential and if they think he could be a 2/3 D and might not be there at 10 or whatever Arizona’s pick is (a very real possibility), they might not want to risk not getting a d-man with one of their early 1sts. Who thought Seider would go 6th last year? Or Broberg 8th? Both were considered likely to go in the 10-15 range much like Sanderson is this year.

Disagree on the evaluation. I just don't like what I read really, doesn't seem like an impact guy. I think he'll be a top 4 middle pairing D, but maybe he'll have a support role with a partner who's more offensively focused.

I honestly could see Wallinder or someone with a higher ceiling go before him.

Teams do have different strategies for developing prospects, but you don't draft for a high floor at 6, especially if BPA there will be a winger, and it's likely he'll still be there at 10.

Further right now New Jersey's expected D core consists of Severson on the right hand side and Butcher on the left. Their stronger D prospects are Walsh on the right, and Ty Smith and Bahl on the left.

Besides Gusev and Palmieri who are on the wrong side of their late 20’s now, and Zacha who’s a bust, they have stronger end prospect wingers like Bratt, Boqvist, and hopefuls such as Nolan Foote, Janne Kuokkanen, and Nick Merkley to compete for core spots on the team.

Anyways, I’d say they really are hurting for top end wingers like Raymond or Holtz than a left handed defenseman like Sanderson. But Shero does like his NTDP/NCAA kids

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Disagree on the evaluation. I just don't like what I read really, doesn't seem like an impact guy. I think he'll be a top 4 middle pairing D, but maybe he'll have a support role with a partner who's more offensively focused.

I honestly could see Wallinder or someone with a higher ceiling go before him.

Teams do have different strategies for developing prospects, but you don't draft for a high floor at 6, especially if BPA there will be a winger, and it's likely he'll still be there at 10.

Further right now New Jersey's expected D core consists of Severson on the right hand side and Butcher on the left. Their stronger D prospects are Walsh on the right, and Ty Smith and Bahl on the left.

Besides Gusev and Palmieri who are on the wrong side of their late 20’s now, and Zacha who’s a bust, they have stronger end prospect wingers like Bratt, Boqvist, and hopefuls such as Nolan Foote, Janne Kuokkanen, and Nick Merkley to compete for core spots on the team.

Anyways, I’d say they really are hurting for top end wingers like Raymond or Holtz than a left handed defenseman like Sanderson. But Shero does like his NTDP/NCAA kids
I think NJ might take Askarov. They have 2 picks in the top 10.

Reactions: Malaka

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I think NJ might take Askarov. They have 2 picks in the top 10.
Think they’ll go with the best winger available at 6 and Askarov at 10, my other post in the draft thread details why they would risk Askarov being available with the other teams going inbetween. Don’t see buffalo or montreal taking him. I really want the sub to temper their hopes for Raymond or some stud dropping to 9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad