2020 Draft 2nd Round Targets

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Name your favorite 2nd round picks. I will start:

Scandinavia

• Kasper Simontaival, bit small but great heads, lots of upside. Could even be drafted late 1st but given his size, I expect early to mid 2nd round.
  • Roni Hirvonen, just like Simontaival, a bit small he is doing really well in the Liiga. Could easily fall outside of the 1st round due to his size.
  • Samuel Knazko, great left handed defender.
  • Daniel Torgersson, people sleeping on him. Gonna go 2nd round for sure. Powerful winger who can score.
  • Emil Heineman, a late bloomer but he is doing well. Bit of a sleeper pick but once people wake up, he can push into the 2nd round pick.

Russia

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
F: Thomas Bordeleau, Theo Rochette, Roni Hirvonen, Ty Tullio
D: Ryan O'Rourke, Donovan Sebrango, William Villenueve

Reactions: newfy and Christien

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I will have to try to watch some of this UDSP team before the draft.

Bordeleau and Berard were the two guys I was most interested by, but now I see Ty Smilanic is doing well the last few months.

Ty Smilanic, C, NTDP, 6-1, 170, 1-20-2002
Lake Superior State University 4 @ NTDP 5 (SO) – January 31, 2020

Smilanic plays an up-tempo game built on speed and puck skills. He was a transition machine through the middle of the ice, often turning defenders inside-out through the neutral zone. He has the ability to dangle the puck as if it were tied to a string on his stick at times. He did an excellent job of fighting through defenders’ physicality and retaining control of the puck. On two separate occasions, the young American split the defenders between the faceoff circles and generated a good chance at the net. Smilanic was an active attacker all game long, showing off his blistering snapshot and booming slap shot on the power play a number of times. His accuracy was a bit off, especially as the game wore on, but the shooting talent is unmistakable. He finished the game with two primary assists as he created opportunities for teammates with regularity and was rewarded for it. His quick feet and agile skating allow him to avoid contact throughout the ice, but he is susceptible to getting stood up if he gets angled off towards the boards. He was blown up once early in this game but it was encouraging to see that the massive hit didn’t change Smilanic’s approach to the game. He definitely needs to get stronger for next season. His defensive game isn’t great but he stays engaged, which helps drive results at the USHL level but was noticeably out of his element against a bigger, stronger college team. Effort isn’t the issue defensively so the hope for his two-way game to improve. He is a high-skill player who has room to improve as inconsistencies from game-to-game still haunt the young American who has also missed time due to injury.

January Notebook – Ferrari

Last edited:

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I think there's a chance Hendrix Lapierre drops into the late 1st or with that first pick into the 2nd. His repeated concussions has been unfortunate and I think will give some teams a pause given his injury history but all the attributes of this kid just sound so attractive. He was concussed early this year so he missed this season going into his draft year which will hurt his stock a great deal otherwise he would have been a surefire Top 15 pick. Smart, poised, with elite passing and two-way ability. Not much a scorer and won't project as a big time shooter but is dangerous enough to keep it respectable. Seems like his shortcomings are his average skating and obviously his health. I love Button's comp of Bergeron/Barkov. The idea of getting a real pass first, defensibly responsible centerman to man our second line and getting our pure goal scorers (Mantha/Zadina) going feels like a great fit.

Christien

May 1, 2010
  • Marat Khusnutdinov
  • Veeti Miettinen
  • Kasper Simontaival
  • Zion Nybeck
  • Ryan O’Rourke
  • Joni Jurmo
  • Theodor Niederbach
  • Lukas Cormier
  • William Wallinder
  • Carter Savoie
Any of the above

Reactions: Frk It

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Brisson, Wallinder, Ze Germans, Viro, Guhle, Niederback, Hirvonen, Nybeck, Tuch, Berard, Cormier, Pitlick, Savoie, Sourdif, Cuylle

I never know the Russians as well as I should but am excited to get back to drafting more of them.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Lukas Cormier, D - Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL) from Scott Luce, Vegas Head Scout

''He's an offensive defensemen that brings a transitional element to skate the puck or go into the offensive zone or make that crisp first pass and join the rush. (...) His game is suited more towards the way the game is now. ''

I might be biased, he's from a town about half an hour of where I'm from! I want to see him in the Winged Wheel.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Forwards

Thomas Bordeleau
Alexander Pashin
Zion Nybeck
Roni Hirvonen
Veeti Miettinen
Martin Chromiak
Connor McClennon
Ty Smilanic
Tyson Foerster
Ty Tullio
Jean-Luc Foudy
JJ Peterka
Lukas Reichel
Blake Biondi
Ryan Francis
Daniil Gushchin

Defense

Joni Jurmo
William Villeneuve
Lukas Cormier
Ryan O'Rourke
Braden Schneider
Topi Niemela
Helge Grans
Emil Andrae

Goalies

Artur Akhtyamov
Joel Blomqvist
Nico Daws

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sell me on Foerster. I can't seem to get past his feet. Tell me why I should be on board (and how he will erase my memories of Zach Nastasiuk)

I was just making a comprehensive list of all the players I think are reasonable options in the 25-50 range or so. Guess I should have listed which ones are my favorites, was not really thinking of Foerster as one of my favorites necessarily.

I think Foerster has some similarities to Jack Quinn, and would have some appeal in round 2 for teams. Good scorer with a good shot, smart player, etc. Agree the skating could be an issue.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Given where our picks are I could see there being vastly different players available at each pick.

#32:
  • My #1 target would be Seth Jarvis, but I don't think it's realistic for him to fall all the way to our pick.
  • Next it would be whichever of Lukas Cormier, Zion Nybeck, Jack Quinn, or Noel Gunler is available with the nod likely going to Cormier.
  • If none of those 4 are on the board I think Mysak, Miettinen, Poirier, or Rodion Amirov would be excellent choices.
    • F: Jarvis > Nybeck = Quinn = Gunler > Mysak = Miettinen = Amirov
    • D: Cormier > Poirier > Sanderson = O'Rourke

• I think Joel Blomqvist would be my target here. I'm not sure he falls this far, but he's the #2 goalie in this draft
  • I think that there's a good chance one of Miettinen, Chromiak, O'Rourke, or Andrae are here. Any of those 4 would be fine picks
  • If all 4 are gone, any combination of Khunsnutdinov, Foerster, Heineman, or Torgersson works.
    • F: Miettien = Chromiak > Foerster = Khunsnutdinov = Heineman = Torgersson
    • D: Andrae = O'Rourke > Benning = Villeneuve > Dion
    • G: Blomqvist
  • If the fallers from #54 are gone others to consider would be: Daniel Gushchin, Yevgeni Oksentyuk, Michael Benning, Colby Ambrosio, Carter Savoie, Tristen Robins
  • At this point there's probably 15 players that make good selections and would be interesting prospects.
    • F: Miettien = Chromiak > Foerster = Khunsnutdinov = Heineman = Torgersson
    • D: Andrae = O'Rourke > Benning = Villeneuve > Dion
    • G: Blomqvist

Reactions: Killerjas

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Given where our picks are I could see there being vastly different players available at each pick.

#32:
  • My #1 target would be Seth Jarvis, but I don't think it's realistic for him to fall all the way to our pick.
  • Next it would be whichever of Lukas Cormier, Zion Nybeck, Jack Quinn, or Noel Gunler is available with the nod likely going to Cormier.
  • If none of those 4 are on the board I think Mysak, Miettinen, Poirier, or Rodion Amirov would be excellent choices.
    • F: Jarvis > Nybeck = Quinn = Gunler > Mysak = Miettinen = Amirov
    • D: Cormier > Poirier > Sanderson = O'Rourke

Interesting, you really believe Gunler, who is scheduled to go between 10 and 15 to slips to 32nd? I find that unlikely. For the rest, I like those picks. I rate Lapierre high but with his history....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No love for Commesso? He is more of a 3rd liner but I can believe he will slip into the 2nd

Feel free to suggest goalies, those were just a few that came to mind. They are not often included in prospect rankings, unfortunately.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Goalie discrimination is real and I feel it everyday on on this forum.
lMhKZOX.png

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Interesting, you really believe Gunler, who is scheduled to go between 10 and 15 to slips to 32nd? I find that unlikely. For the rest, I like those picks. I rate Lapierre high but with his history....

It may be more wishful thinking on my part. He just seems to have all the telltale signs of a "faller". He's European, has had people question his defence and effort, and he has supposed attitude issues. I'd LOVE to get him at 32, according to my adjusted scoring rates his D-1 was the 3rd-5th best going back to 2000 and I'd have likely had him as a top 15/20 pick even if he missed all of this year.

As for Lapierre, I like him it's just I think he goes in the 20s which is a little bit higher than I have him ranked - I think I have him in the 35-45 range. His concussion history scares me enough that I don't think I'd take him at 32, but if he's there for our late 2nds I'd certainly consider him.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Also, this is a link to an expected range for some of the players in the 2020 draft. The first page has the top 77 players and then the other tab has the rest of the interesting/ranked prospects. This probably is the most accurate list that's available right now and would likely be 2nd to just Bob Mackenzie's in terms of accurate draft ranges. The list is curated by Colin Cudmore on Twitter so if you like it I'd recommend giving him a follow as he does a lot of great work covering prospects and the draft in general.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I have heard scouts are incredibly divisive on Gunler, so I would not be totally surprised if he was to fall on draft day.

Bob Mckenzie had Gunler at #27 on his mid-season list.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
William Villeneuve (D) is late second , but he has great numbers leading his team in points

Reactions: Christien

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->