2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | Selected to Team Canada at the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Brutal hit on one of Holloway’s teammates tonight in the game against Michigan.

Hopefully he’s okay.

Extremely lucky to have contacted the boards first with his chest (from what J could tell) rather than his head. It’s the worst play in hockey and I cringe every time it happens. Mercifully it’s not that often.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Don’t you get bored of posting hot takes?
I wouldn't even consider this a hot take. The rest of the team is currently building chemistry as he is quarantining.

There is a ton of talent on the roster already and I can't see them taking Newhook instead of him. All the "previews" I've seen have him out of the lineup too. It's not a knock on Holloway, I just think his chances of making the team THIS year are very low.

lol how do you even know what his usage would be?

Team Canada has always loved players that bring what he brings and he’s played major roles internationally for Team Canada before.
We said that about Rodrigue last year and he didn't even get a warm up game.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I wouldn't even consider this a hot take. The rest of the team is currently building chemistry as he is quarantining.

There is a ton of talent on the roster already and I can't see them taking Newhook instead of him. All the "previews" I've seen have him out of the lineup too. It's not a knock on Holloway, I just think his chances of making the team THIS year are very low.

We said that about Rodrigue last year and he didn't even get a warm up game.

This is wrong, a lot of the projections had him in the lineup and a one notable writer who I forget had him as a lock (although the quarantine period might have changed that) and I don't see the connection to Rodrigue.

With that said, the competition is arguably as higher than it's ever been for a forward trying to make the team with the NHL players now on the roster and the quarantine period does put him and Newhook behind the 8 ball a bit but I wouldn't classify his chances as "very low". He'll just have to stand out a bit moreso than under normal circumstances.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
@CycloneSweep

I believe Canada is making 16 cuts after today's scrimmage. Holloway obviously won't be one of them as he hasn't even had a chance to play yet. That would put them at around 16 forwards, and I expect them to take 13-14 with them to the WJC. That means that as long as Holloway isn't among the last 2 or 3 cuts, he's almost guaranteed to make the team.

These scrimmages don't have as much of an impact as some think. Team Canada's coaching staff came into the camp with a very good idea of what their team was going to look like. And the fact that they brought in Holloway despite the quarantine period and the knowledge that he would miss the team's opening scrimmages means there's a good chance they've seen him as a lock right from the start.

I think you might be surprised at who Holloway will make the team over. Craig Button said that there are a group of 02s that are essentially here to prepare for next year's tournament and were never really in consideration to make the team. He mentioned names including Cole Perfetti and Seth Jarvis. I'm not saying I agree with those players not making the team — because I don't — but it seems like Team Canada will go for role players rather than purely offensive talent. I expect Holloway to make the team over some big names and play an important role in the bottom-6 and on special teams.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Camp halted because of COVID. Bummer. Hope they can start up again soon. Want to see our boy continue to develop!

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Dylan sounded so excited about the prospect of playing for the Oilers he and his family disavowed the Flames. Then you have the open communication with Tony Granato and Ken Holland. There is that pipeline again. Holloway is on the right path with the University of Wisconsin. I have no problem with leaving him in that program for two seasons post draft.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Dylan sounded so excited about the prospect of playing for the Oilers he and his family disavowed the Flames. Then you have the open communication with Tony Granato and Ken Holland. There is that pipeline again. Holloway is on the right path with the University of Wisconsin. I have no problem with leaving him in that program for two seasons post draft.

Holloway is a Western Canadian from Alberta, he’ll be honoured to play hockey in Alberta. Imagine him knowing that he has an opportunity to be a LWer and defensive zone face off type guy for McDavid must be incredibly motivating for a high character kid like himself.

I can already see Holloway becoming a fan favourite with Oiler fans. His effort level every shift, forecheck, and board play will earn him a lot of love from this fan base.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Or just someone who doesn't know how the college system works since the last time we drafted a college player with our first pick was in 2006 with Petry.
Petry was a 2nd rounder.

Riley Nash was our last first rounder from College who never signed with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->