Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I see him, at least right now, as a bit of a Jake Virtanen kind of guy. Very good skater, decent size, physical and good puck retriever. Doesn’t carry the puck much, not great passer (yet), but goes to the net hard. I don’t think Holloway has Virtanens shot but we’ll see. Worst case scenario he’s a 2nd/3rd line complimentary winger who gets 20 goals on speed and hustle. I am hopeful that Holloway will turn into more than Virtanen because I don’t think Virtanen played much center at all, whereas Holloway seems to be intelligent enough to play there in a pinch. He has enough hockey sense to do that. He’s also going the college route which does seem to give kids time to develop hand skills and passing skills a bit more than major junior, IMO. Coaches also clearly love Holloway whereas Virtanen seems to be a bit of a jackass. We’ll see where this shakes out, but I don’t think there is any doubt we’ve at least got a serviceable “pro-style” winger coming here.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I like that he seems to be a pretty sure bet of a prospect, but with limited upside. He will be hard pressed to be a top 6 and will not be a pp guy. But he looks to be a great energy bottom 6 player, that can hit, and kill penalties. I feel he could play that role in the NHL as early as next year. He is a really good asset to have, but, I just don't see big upside.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You can cheer for the kid but still have an issue with the pick, or the ideology behind the pick.

Holloway has some noted limitations and having limited IQ and puck skills has kept many good prospects out of the NHL

Broberg has some similar limitations.

So it's great to watch these guys in the lower leagues tearing it up, but the jump to the NHL is going to be huge for them. I hope that they make it.

But having an issue with the picks isnt some horrible thing. Criticism is warranted and it's not healthy to just blindly agree with everything the Oilers do

Immediately prior to the draft I had Brobeeg on my do not draft board and had issues with Holloway (less so, didnt know as much about him though). So having issues with the pick is not being a debbie downer, it's just being consistent with how you viewed that prospect all along

You're saying this after less than 10 games for an 18-19 year old and a player who was injured and only close to 50% ready?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I am not sure that Broberg pick and Holloway pick can be compared. To start Broberg was picked #8 and Holloway was picked #14.

The Broberg pick was a bit of a reach with some good guys on the board (namely Zegras). Depending on what Zegras does and what Broberg does, the pick will always be controversial. Broberg basically has to turn into a top pairing dman for it to not be controversial, which may or may not happen.

Holloway on the other hand, the way the draft unfolded, theres not really that one guy where you can say the Oilers should of picked him. Sure some people would of preferred Amirov, Reichel, or someone else but it wasnt totally an off the board pick. I dont think Holloway would of been the guy I would of personally picked but after Jarvis was drafted, its hard to have a super strong opinion on the pick. From watching the World Junior tournament, I didnt really come back with any kind of impression that there was a player the Oilers for sure should of picked over Holloway. As time goes on, I think there is a very good chance that some player(s) will turn out better than Holloway who were drafted later, but thats sort of the norm when it comes to the draft.

What if Broberg becomes a less physical version of Nurse and Zegras becomes the next Jordan Schroeder?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
What if Broberg becomes a less physical version of Nurse and Zegras becomes the next Jordan Schroeder?
Well right now it's more like future Barzal vs future Koekkoek.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Its a fair comment. Theres no guarantee that Zegras and others will turn out either.
Well, he is just coming off of a WJHC gold medal and MVP of the tourney award. Imagine this board if he was an Oilers property. We are so giddy pumping up Holloway after a nothing performance production wise. Broberg got named team captain so there is something cheer about.

Reactions: Beerfish

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I see him, at least right now, as a bit of a Jake Virtanen kind of guy. Very good skater, decent size, physical and good puck retriever. Doesn’t carry the puck much, not great passer (yet), but goes to the net hard. I don’t think Holloway has Virtanens shot but we’ll see. Worst case scenario he’s a 2nd/3rd line complimentary winger who gets 20 goals on speed and hustle. I am hopeful that Holloway will turn into more than Virtanen because I don’t think Virtanen played much center at all, whereas Holloway seems to be intelligent enough to play there in a pinch. He has enough hockey sense to do that. He’s also going the college route which does seem to give kids time to develop hand skills and passing skills a bit more than major junior, IMO. Coaches also clearly love Holloway whereas Virtanen seems to be a bit of a jackass. We’ll see where this shakes out, but I don’t think there is any doubt we’ve at least got a serviceable “pro-style” winger coming here.
Good analysis, I agree from what I've seen so far which is somewhat limited.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My first thought when we drafted him was a Timo Meier/Raffi Torres type. Teams that have players like him are lucky because they never have to worry about the kind of effort that he will bring game in and game out.

Reactions: Samus44

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bookmarked for future reference.
No need to bookmark. Zegras vs Broberg will be discussed on this board for the next decade. Zegras is super shiny at the moment so probably not the best time to be comparing him to Schroeder.

Holloway fared well in comparison to his peers. Byfield, Quinn, Jarvis, Forester, Zary etc .

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No need to bookmark. Zegras vs Broberg will be discussed on this board for the next decade. Zegras is super shiny at the moment so probably not the best time to be comparing him to Schroeder.

Holloway fared well in comparison to his peers. Byfield, Quinn, Jarvis, Forester, Zary etc .

More the you comparing Broberg to Koekoek part. Kind of hard to play well when you have the injuries that he did.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Well right now it's more like future Barzal vs future Koekkoek.
Or a future Jani Rita vs future Seth Jones.

point is right now it’s a crap shoot. All we know is one is playing big minutes and having a good season against men and the other put up so so numbers in his first year in college.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
More the you comparing Broberg to Koekoek part. Kind of hard to play well when you have the injuries that he did.
Sure. Koekkoek was also drafted 10th overall so has plenty of upside at age 18/19.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Or a future Jani Rita vs future Seth Jones.

point is right now it’s a crap shoot. All we know is one is playing big minutes and having a good season against men and the other put up so so numbers in his first year in college.

You’re debating with someone who wanted to use Strudwick as a comparable for Broberg. It’s not worth debating somebody who’s being disingenuous.

Reactions: nabob

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Zegras will probably be a 2o goal/40 assist player, similar to RNH. Unless Broberg is on the 1st pairing and putting up 50+ points then there will always be discussion about us passing on Zegras. Holloway looks like he'll be a good 3C or complimentary winger and put up 20/20 which is fine for a player drafted in the middle of the 1st round.

Reactions: B33K33PING

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

You compared Broberg to Koekkek?!?!??!

Reactions: ujju2 and nabob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You’re debating with someone who wanted to use Strudwick as a comparable for Broberg. It’s not worth debating somebody who’s being disingenuous.
HAhaha did he really do that? I didn’t realize I was wasting my time with someone who would go to that extreme level of (insert words I can’t say).

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Just an example in response to Zegras' comparison to Schroeder.
Context sir context.
Schroeder is the top scoring player in US WJHC history is he not? Or did Zegras manage to sneak past him?

...yeah CONTEXT. Zegras hasn’t shown much outside of the world juniors. Schroeder also had a much more impressive freshman season than Zegras did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->