Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Holloway and Cole Caufield being on different lines really makes for a Draisaitl-McDavid calamity for other teams to try to contain, and then when they do play together on the PP and limited time at evens they're dangerous and productive.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

That’s some pretty good company.

I was curious how many of these were their D+1 and it turns out that its most of them.

Name on List, What year the points were from, what they were doing the next season
Eichel, D+0, NHL 56 points
Connor, D+1, AHL 44 points + NHL 5 points
Gaudreau, D+2, NHL 64 points
Schwartz, D+1, NCAA 41 points
Keller, D+1, NHL 65 points
Boeser, D+1, NCAA 34 points + NHL 5 points
Toews, D+1, NHL 54 points
Gaudreau, D+1, NCAA 80 points
Larkin, D+1, NHL 45 points
Nyquist, D+2, NCAA 51 poitns
Schroeder, D+0, NCAA 28 points
Gerbe, D+3, AHL 56 points + NHL 1 point

I stopped at Gerbe as it started to be pretty different players. So of the guys that did this D+1 (7 of them), the next year they were:
- Connor was tearing up the AHL and had a successful NHL cup of coffee
- Schwartz went back the NCAA and had another monster year
- Keller had a very good NHL deput
- Boeser went back to college and scored lots, then got a good start on his NHL career
- Toews was already great in the NHL
- Gaudreau went back to college and had an ever bigger year
- Larkin had an extremely successful start to his NHL career

3 had good NHL seasons, 2 split the year between the AHL/NCAA and NHL cup of coffee, and 2 went back to the NCAA. I think it is worth pointing out that the 2 that went back for full seasons of the NCAA were both smaller players in Schwartz and Gaudreau. I really can't see Holloway going back to the NCAA next year if he keeps up anything close to this pace the rest of the year. He'll be in the AHL at the very least, and it wouldn't *shock* me to see him play games with the Oilers. He already has NHL size and speed, so that part won't be a problem. He'll also be 20 years old at the start of the NHL season next year, so it's not like he'd be an 18 year old, and it's not that uncommon for D+2 players to see NHL action.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The Big 10 tournament will be of some interest this year. Looking forward to it. I wonder if SN will carry it?

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
What's up with that Hobey Baker poll? lol. Some dude playing for the army team is running away with it. It's almost like he has an...army...of people voting for him :sarcasm:

The Voting Page for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award

Among guys being voted for in a normal way, Cole Caufield is running away with the lead. Holloway can't compete with that name recognition unfortunately.
No award that is voted on is an award at all. Is a popularity vote. This includes all sports.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

I did not know Brad Winchester was Granato's assistant coach.

Someone ask Holloway if Winchester told him this story:

brad-winchester-of-the-edmonton-oilers-holds-up-an-octopus-as-he-it-picture-id57494931

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

I did not know Brad Winchester was Granato's assistant coach.

Someone ask Holloway if Winchester told him this story:

brad-winchester-of-the-edmonton-oilers-holds-up-an-octopus-as-he-it-picture-id57494931

What a great memory and pic! Love Staios just absolutely laughing his ass off. Honestly thought Winny doing that set a tone for that series.

Reactions: Soli

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The only thing Caufield has on Holloway is goal scoring. Holloway pretty much blows him out of the water any other way you could compare them.

I'm one of the biggest Holloway fans around but this isn't true. Caufield is a better puck handler and playmaker as well, really underrated aspects of his game that have improved a lot this season.

For what the Oilers need, I'd definitely take Holloway over Caufield but Caufield has a lot more offensive tools in the toolkit beyond just his shot. No slight on Holloway, it's just that Caufield is a top 5 offensive prospect, if not top 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: nafrelio

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'm one of the biggest Holloway fans around but this isn't true. Caufield is a better puck handler and playmaker as well, really underrated aspects of his game that have improved a lot this season.

For what the Oilers need, I'd definitely take Holloway over Caufield but Caufield has a lot more offensive tools in the toolkit beyond just his shot. No slight on Holloway, it's just that Caufield is a top 5 offensive prospect, if not top 3.

Yeah the question for me with Caufield is how much of his offense will translate to the NHL level, and will he sustain that production or will it peter off like some other smaller players who have come in hot and fizzled out somewhat? I think he'll find a way to score goals but I'm not sure he'll be much more than a 20 goal scorer because it's harder to get to those scoring areas in the NHL and when you go there you're going to take some punishment.

Holloway's offense I see more easily translating because of his speed, grittiness and because he scores his goals in a number of ways. He's not going to make plays as well as Caufield or other better puck handlers but I think he could be a guy with decent playmaking despite not being overly skilled kind of like Ryan Smyth, and his speed will give him a better ability to break away from opposition players and open up passing lanes.

Reactions: North and Biltmore

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I see a lot of Yakopov in Caufield. Not saying he will bust. Elite shot, fiesty, and vastly underrated puck control and passing. Decent skating. Still wish Nail would have progressed for us - I enjoyed watching him, bees and all.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I see a lot of Yakopov in Caufield. Not saying he will bust. Elite shot, fiesty, and vastly underrated puck control and passing. Decent skating. Still wish Nail would have progressed for us - I enjoyed watching him, bees and all.

I remember when ray ferraro came up with that bees thing

then I remember laughing when yakupov got traded to St. Louis and then Landon got cut

I then tweeted ray and told him it must feel good to know Landon got cut so bees could take his roster spot

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
2nd goal was 16 seconds after the penalty expired. Seems like the Wisconsin coach likes to put his big guns out at the end of the penalty kill like McDavid/Drai get used sometimes.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
2nd goal was 16 seconds after the penalty expired. Seems like the Wisconsin coach likes to put his big guns out at the end of the penalty kill like McDavid/Drai get used sometimes.
Is that 2nd goal for Holloway or 2nd goal for Wisconsin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->