Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's starting to look that way. I think that he skips the AHL altogether.

I figured that Jesse would be our last blue chip forward prospect for awhile, I'm glad that it looks like I was wrong!
Another thing to factor in, is that he would be required to quarantine for 2 weeks before joining the Oilers.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

I figured that Jesse would be our last blue chip forward prospect for awhile, I'm glad that it looks like I was wrong!
I believe that the NCAA season will end on March 16 (NCAA Hockey TV Schedule - College Hockey, Inc.). I will factor in a 2 week quarantine for Holloway before he joins the team, thus you can state he can begin on April the 1st. There will be 13 games in April so I think we can probably let Holloway practice and play 5 games thus not burning his contract if I am correct.

March 16 to April 1st = Quarantine
April 1st to April 15 = Practice to learn the team's system

He can then play the remaining 5/6 games

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I believe that the NCAA season will end on March 16 (NCAA Hockey TV Schedule - College Hockey, Inc.). I will factor in a 2 week quarantine for Holloway before he joins the team, thus you can state he can begin on April the 1st. There will be 13 games in April so I think we can probably let Holloway practice and play 5 games thus not burning his contract if I am correct.

I believe they still have playoffs in the NCAA this year don't they?

Regardless, I can't see Holloway joining the Oilers this year. AHL next year, and if he impresses in the A, then he gets some games with the big club.

Reactions: Aerchon

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Sounds good to me. It will be a great bonus if we have drafted an impact player at #14 in the draft. I am trying to remember when we drafted a top 6 guy after the top 10 were gone (in the last 20 years). Eberle was one and now it looks like Yams might be another one.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Sounds good to me. It will be a great bonus if we have drafted an impact player at #14 in the draft. I am trying to remember when we drafted a top 6 guy after the top 10 were gone (in the last 20 years). Eberle was one and now it looks like Yams might be another one.

We just haven’t drafted that late in the first very often but hit when we do... Klefbom, Eberle, Yams.

Edmonton Oilers Draft History at hockeydb.com

Yak and MPS were giant busts but those were pretty weak drafts.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Regardless, I can't see Holloway joining the Oilers this year. AHL next year, and if he impresses in the A, then he gets some games with the big club.

Yes, they play the NCAA tournament of which Wisconsin will be one of the favorites so it should be a while before his season ends (The Frozen Four is April 8th-10th).

I agree that he should go to the AHL first then start next season there and earn a callup to the big club. Let him get a feel for the pro game before making the NHL jump, no need whatsoever to rush him.

In any event, I told you guys that he has a really good shot. He didn't display it much at the WJC because he was in more of a defensive role (even on the scoring lines) with minimal PP time but the offensive ability is there. He just seems like the type of player who flourishes in a driver role which is why I really like his fit as a #3C going forward. If he pans out, having him, McDavid and Draisaitl running 3 separate lines would be absolutely lethal. He could be our version of Jordan Staal or even more if the offense translates.

Reactions: Biltmore

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yes, they play the NCAA tournament of which Wisconsin will be one of the favorites so it should be a while before his season ends (The Frozen Four is April 8th-10th).

I agree that he should go to the AHL first then start next season there and earn a callup to the big club. Let him get a feel for the pro game before making the NHL jump, no need whatsoever to rush him.

In any event, I told you guys that he has a really good shot. He didn't display it much at the WJC because he was in more of a defensive role (even on the scoring lines) with minimal PP time but the offensive ability is there. He just seems like the type of player who flourishes in a driver role which is why I really like his fit as a #3C going forward. If he pans out, having him, McDavid and Draisaitl running 3 separate lines would be absolutely lethal. He could be our version of Jordan Staal or even more if the offense translates.

I agree that a stint in the AHL first is the most likely route but if the Oilers are making a serious run in the playoffs then who knows, he could be a difference maker. That said its a very long way from being a star in college hockey to being an impact guy in the NHL playoffs. We'll see but hey this is fun to watch.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Klef and petry:ha:

Reactions: Biltmore

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

I wouldn't mind giving the kid some NHL games ahhah I wanted us to progress him slowly but I don't think he wants that

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Yay Holloway

I am a bit surprised with this offensive outburst recently - I did not see this level of offensive upside in the world juniors

To be fair he was Canada's top PK guy and most physical forward by my eye. Wasn't tasked with scoring much. The fact he can come back to the NCAA and light it up like this and consistently speaks to his versatility. Doing all this in his D+1 season is really soemthing. Great prospect here.. Could be a huge difference maker on that ELC

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

I have no clue about the playoffs. Maybe it ends early April

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Isn't this mainly due to him almost never having high draft picks? Going way back I don't think Detroit ever selected more than a handful of players in the first round, and hardly any in the top 15. I believe their top 15 picks are Larkin, Rasmussen and Zadina, Larkin and Rasmussen got to play in the NHL in their draft+1 seasons while Zadina got a taste already in his draft+0 season.
Exactly. Add in that they were a prime destination for veteran UFA's with a coach that likes his vets and that meant that their picks had little opportunity to find slots until they were absolutely ready.

Reactions: LaGu

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We just haven’t drafted that late in the first very often but hit when we do... Klefbom, Eberle, Yams.

Edmonton Oilers Draft History at hockeydb.com

Yak and MPS were giant busts but those were pretty weak drafts.
Truthfully, MPS did not reach expectations based on his early play but he was not really that much of a bust. He did play almost 500 NHL games. At #10 the probability of a player playing 100 games is only around 70%. He is 33rd in his draft for points and 15th of the first rounders. 30th in goals.

Yak on the otherhand was a differnt story. Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid the bust tag.

Realistically if Holloway becomes an everday NHL'er he has covered the spread. Anything more, and it looks like that could be the case, is gravy.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yay Holloway

I am a bit surprised with this offensive outburst recently - I did not see this level of offensive upside in the world juniors

To be fair he was Canada's top PK guy and most physical forward by my eye. Wasn't tasked with scoring much. The fact he can come back to the NCAA and light it up like this and consistently speaks to his versatility. Doing all this in his D+1 season is really soemthing. Great prospect here.. Could be a huge difference maker on that ELC

As I mentioned before Holloway wasn't the guy I would have picked at 14 but he was in that group and I was happy with the pick overall. He is the kind of prospect I prefer over say a Yamamoto type prospect.

I thought he should have had more points in the WJC. I mean that in two ways. His overall play was great and he should have been rewarded more. But also that he actually wasn't very good at finishing or passing and really seemed to be fully immersed as a checking forward even when on a scoring line. That top line thrived with him in the role and struggled a bit when they moved him off of it. But I can't blame the coach because he really should have been producing more. You preferebly want all the guys on your top line to be skilled guys as well as checker. It really did NOT look like he was "skilled" enough to be in the top 6 of team Canada.

Now that he is in college and has exploded offensively we are all reassessing. I only watched him once live since wjc and pick up highlight but personally I still see a player that isn't nessasaraly what I would label a high skilled player.

He seems to be capitalizing on creating chaos with speed and physicality. Feasting on opportunities with good positioning and tenacity.

From the little I have watched at him I still wouldn't be keen to pencil him in as a "skilled" top 6 forward. As a betting man I would put a lot of money he is going to have a good nhl career but I'm shy he is going to put up points like an Eichel or Johnny hockey.

Because he isnt a pure skill guy it is possible he may struggle at the ahl and/or nhl level before adjusting to the size/speed/positioning of nhl caliber opposition.

A lot of his points are apples as well. I think goal scoring always transfers across to the nhl in terms of pure production a bit better than play makers.

There have only been a few prospects that I predicted would be point producers at the nhl based off their junior careers like Draisaitl and Bouchard. To the surprise of no one I imagine my gut tells me to temper offensive expectations on this prospect while also getting extremely excited for what looks like should be a impact nhler hopefully sooner than later.

Edit: Please don't take this as hard researched opinion. The above or what I'm about to say. These are just impressions and thoughts. Some names that pop into my head when thinking about the type of player he is: Kassian, Ryan Jones, Sam Bennett, and in some smaller ways Ryan Smith.

Anyone have some nhl names that suit his play/skill set?

Last edited:
Reactions: gordonhught

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
As I mentioned before Holloway wasn't the guy I would have picked at 14 but he was in that group and I was happy with the pick overall. He is the kind of prospect I prefer over say a Yamamoto type prospect.

I thought he should have had more points in the WJC. I mean that in two ways. His overall play was great and he should have been rewarded more. But also that he actually wasn't very good at finishing or passing and really seemed to be fully immersed as a checking forward even when on a scoring line. That top line thrived with him in the role and struggled a bit when they moved him off of it. But I can't blame the coach because he really should have been producing more. You preferebly want all the guys on your top line to be skilled guys as well as checker. It really did NOT look like he was "skilled" enough to be in the top 6 of team Canada.

Now that he is in college and has exploded offensively we are all reassessing. I only watched him once live since wjc and pick up highlight but personally I still see a player that isn't nessasaraly what I would label a high skilled player.

He seems to be capitalizing on creating chaos with speed and physicality. Feasting on opportunities with good positioning and tenacity.

From the little I have watched at him I still wouldn't be keen to pencil him in as a "skilled" top 6 forward. As a betting man I would put a lot of money he is going to have a good nhl career but I'm shy he is going to put up points like an Eichel or Johnny hockey.

Because he isnt a pure skill guy it is possible he may struggle at the ahl and/or nhl level before adjusting to the size/speed/positioning of nhl caliber opposition.

A lot of his points are apples as well. I think goal scoring always transfers across to the nhl in terms of pure production a bit better than play makers.

There have only been a few prospects that I predicted would be point producers at the nhl based off their junior careers like Draisaitl and Bouchard. To the surprise of no one I imagine my gut tells me to temper offensive expectations on this prospect while also getting extremely excited for what looks like should be a impact nhler hopefully sooner than later.
Being pessimistic about a prosects production in teh NHL will see you being correct the vast majority of the time. That's just the way it is. And I don't think anyone here sees Holloway as haing skill al la Gaudreau or Eichel. If he did with his intangibles you would be talking about a 1st over all level player. He does however have 10 goals in 17 games so I am not sure where the reference to "lots of assists" takes you.

The Oilers don't need Holloway to be a guy who will get 30-50-80. They need a player who can help you win in a variety of ways and who is an effective Swiss army knife. At this point he is progressing very well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He has time to grow his game and in the top 6 we have the likes of Connor, Leon, Nuge, Pulju and Yamamoto to play a "skill" game. Holloway may end up being the least skilled of the bunch but that is hardly something to be ashamed of. If he is as skilled as any of Nuge, Jesse or Kailer along with his work ethic, he will be something to behold as a player. In the meantime, he looks the part of a top 6 player and will add yet another skilled and fast forward to a team that already has a number of those types. To top it off he can be a seek and destroy type to target the Gio's and Gaudreau's of the world if the opposition targets Connor or Leon. These are exciting times to be an Oilers fan.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Being pessimistic about a prosects production in teh NHL will see you being correct the vast majority of the time. That's just the way it is. And I don't think anyone here sees Holloway as haing skill al la Gaudreau or Eichel. If he did with his intangibles you would be talking about a 1st over all level player. He does however have 10 goals in 17 games so I am not sure where the reference to "lots of assists" takes you.

The Oilers don't need Holloway to be a guy who will get 30-50-80. They need a player who can help you win in a variety of ways and who is an effective Swiss army knife. At this point he is progressing very well.

Having more than double assists to goals is rather indicative of play maker than goal scorer. He is also setting up the best scorer? on the PP in his league in Caufield. While certainly not a product of him it should be taken into consideration.

Dylan Strome went very high in his draft and was certainly a bit of a by product of feasting on secondary quality of competition plus PP time with McDavid in his draft year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad