Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Leave him for another season in the NCAA. Let him lead that team, be on Team Canada again on the WJC with a much larger role and let him develop a little longer. No harm in that.

Reactions: MisterD

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Losing both Holloway and Caufield at the same time would be quite a gut punch for Wisconsin.

Indeed, one of the challenges of the college system. Top prospects are in for two or maybe three years and off to pro. Have to think Tony Granato is factoring this into his recruiting and the double edge sword of pitching prospects that will help them get to the next level. Oh ya ... it's about the education too. eye roll.

I think the college route works best for longer cook prospect types like Carter Savoire who is physically immature or maybe a medium type or more fringe ranked prospect who can utilize up to four years to grow into man strength and develop their game while getting the college degree which is an amazing fallback if the hockey dream doesn't come together. The CHL system of NHL style of game and number of games, travel schedule etc. is well suited for top bluechip prospects to rock peer competition and move to pro, often direct to NHL rosters at age 20/21 years.

NCAA big sports are big business. We see the one and done factories like UK basketball become a norm. NCAA college hockey often lose its best, high NHL draft picks after two or three years as well. Wisconsin is one of those schools with a strong heritage as a program, a greater recruiter and US Hockey icon with Granato, I'm sure sold academics, and a legendary reputation as a top party school in the U.S. of A. Looks like they have a solid pipeline Nine new Badgers - 2021 men's hockey signing class revealed | Wisconsin Badgers

(Being a wee tongue in cheek with this post) :)

Reactions: North and TB12

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Pumped for this guy.

at first I thought it was kind of a meh pick.

but he checks off so many boxes for us, and now that he’s producing it’s hard not to be excited.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Bob already hinted at this during intermission a few games ago.

My expectation was that he makes the team out of college next year, but it appears we won’t even have to wait that long. He’s ready honestly, he’s really damn good

There has been a lot of smoke on Holloway in Edmonton media and external peeps like deeply connected Brian Lawton. There's also been pretty solid exposure through the U20 tournament broadcast and some Wisconsin games on tv including pick up by TSN. I think it all likely underscores the organization believing Holloway is ready for the next level and the player himself maybe feeling ready to move on at end of season this year. Not sure that's straight to an Oilers roster but who knows.

Have to laugh how Stauffer has come around on this player after being surprised by the Oilers selection of him and sounding like he was having a meltdown on air in being clearly less than thrilled by it. Reid Wilkins had to jump in to give some professional perspective on the kid. haha. Holloway has made believers in short order out of many non believers and skeptics.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
There has been a lot of smoke on Holloway in Edmonton media and external peeps like deeply connected Brian Lawton. There's also been pretty solid exposure through the U20 tournament broadcast and some Wisconsin games on tv including pick up by TSN. I think it all likely underscores the organization believing Holloway is ready for the next level and the player himself maybe feeling ready to move on at end of season this year. Not sure that's straight to an Oilers roster but who knows.

Have to laugh how Stauffer has come around on this player after being surprised by the Oilers selection of him and sounding like he was having a meltdown on air in being clearly less than thrilled by it. Reid Wilkins had to jump in to give some professional perspective on the kid. haha. Holloway has made believers in short order out of many non believers and skeptics.

Boob Stauffer :popcorn:

(I'm looking for a pizza-eating emoji for Big Bob)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I wouldn't blame Stauffer for that. There were a lot of posters here who were capping him out as a 3rd liner as recently as a month ago after the WJC so Stauffer wasn't the only one who was skeptical.
Not to toot my horn but I kept telling people in the WJC threads to not limit his potential based off of a small sample size in a defensive role at the WJC and that he had some untapped offensive potential. I definitely didn't see THIS coming but I saw enough of him to see a player with some offensive growth potential.

With that said, some people are getting a little too excited IMO. Holloway is just starting to tap into that offensive potential so I think it's a big leap to declare him NHL ready right now especially as early as this season which is unrealistic. I'd still like to see him spend an entire season in the AHL next year in a lead role to round out his game at the pro level before making a jump to the NHL. He'll have that opportunity with the lack of offensive forward prospects down there.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I wouldn't blame Stauffer for that. There were a lot of posters here who were capping him out as a 3rd liner as recently as a month ago after the WJC so Stauffer wasn't the only one who was skeptical.
Not to toot my horn but I kept telling people in the WJC threads to not limit his potential based off of a small sample size in a defensive role at the WJC and that he had some untapped offensive potential. I definitely didn't see THIS coming but I saw enough of him to see a player with some offensive growth potential.

With that said, some people are getting a little too excited IMO. Holloway is just starting to tap into that offensive potential so I think it's a big leap to declare him NHL ready right now especially as early as this season which is unrealistic. I'd still like to see him spend an entire season in the AHL next year in a lead role to round out his game at the pro level before making a jump to the NHL. He'll have that opportunity with the lack of offensive forward prospects down there.

It was a cringe worthy reaction. Simply that. I turned on the radio to get more deets on the pick and he sounded like a sulking kid.

Some of us liked the pick when made and as a likely, realistic option where the team would be picking. Personally I wanted the Russian tender to address a massive organizational blackhole but loved what I was reading and hearing about Holloway's game so he was my realistic preference at their pick. The big AJHL results showed high skill and as an extremely young college freshman it was reasonable to think there was more offence in this player to emerge with some experience. The U20 tournament became the eyes on opportunity to see the full utility of his game as a spark plug, heat seeking missile on a loaded Team Canada.

I've posted the covid circumstances and border crossing complicates any decision of turning pro and 'air lifting' onto an NHL roster, which I agree is likely an unrealistic leap for the kid. Most definitely fan and local media need to be realistic about the viable development of this prospect. He's out kicking the coverage thus far, shown another level in his second year college, but 'amateur' to pro is the most difficult jump to make and rarely is it ever direct to NHL rosters. Reasonable to be very excited. Pragmatic and realistic to think Holloway will need adjustment time in Bakersfield. Quick learner though...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pierre M on Montreal radio basically says:

- He has been just as good as Cole Caufield.
- Nhl Ready
- He would be shocked if is he is not on the roster to start next year
I would be shocked if he IS on the roster next year. Ken Holland is a very patient GM with his prospects.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Outside of being a main PK guy he wasn't being used as a shutdown or defensive guy, he was getting used all over the roster. And out of pure bad luck putting up nothing for points.

I do see him as a guy who will never put up legit top 6 caliber numbers, but will always have a place up there with how he plays.

And there is nothing wrong with that

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
I would be shocked if he IS on the roster next year. Ken Holland is a very patient GM with his prospects.
I remember last year Holland straight up said that he has a reputation for "over-ripening" prospects, said it was purely because his team in Detroit was flat-out dominant and there was absolutely no need to bring guys up unless they could prove they were better than players on the roster. Holland isn't dealing with that issue anymore considering the Oilers depth.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I remember last year Holland straight up said that he has a reputation for "over-ripening" prospects, said it was purely because his team in Detroit was flat-out dominant and there was absolutely no need to bring guys up unless they could prove they were better than players on the roster. Holland isn't dealing with that issue anymore considering the Oilers depth.
Maybe. Holloway looks great but I do not see Holland thinking he is NHL ready yet. AHL and a shot? Sure.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Did Matheson have a reverse stroke? This is the first thing he’s said in months that actually makes any sort of sense

Haha. Poor Jim. His inside voice is coming out in many of his random Twitter musings. His Holloway tweet seems to have smoke around it with hockey peeps like Lawton and Maguire weighing in on Hollway's breakout year. Oil management saw a lot at U20, Badger watching and likely talking to Wisconsin coach Granato about Holloway's game.

Reactions: Gregsky99

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Maybe. Holloway looks great but I do not see Holland thinking he is NHL ready yet. AHL and a shot? Sure.
The biggest thing I see is that Holloway plays a very professional style game. He knows how to play in a system, he can play in all situations too. I’m not sure what he’s have to gain from playing in the AHL, compared to a CHL player.

Reactions: Biltmore and dss97

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The biggest thing I see is that Holloway plays a very professional style game. He knows how to play in a system, he can play in all situations too. I’m not sure what he’s have to gain from playing in the AHL, compared to a CHL player.
Easing him into the next step and not just throwing him into the deep end. Have him spend a bit of time there getting used to pro speed and then up in the pros. He is still young.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Easing him into the next step and not just throwing him into the deep end. Have him spend a bit of time there getting used to pro speed and then up in the pros. He is still young.
Don’t have to throw him in the deep end...could put him on the wing with a solid vet like Turris...hahaha JK I wouldn’t wish that on any rookie right now.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad