Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I loved this pick and I have more confidence the Oil got a player after watching the U20. I've pimped the Ethan Moreau comp whose game was also driven by powerful skating, relentless puck pursuit and arriving with ill intent. Moreau's strong junior offence did not translate to NHL but reinvented himself into an immensely valuable character player with over 900 games played. If you can land a player like this mid-first round take and run it to the bank.

The strength of Holloway's game is his versatility both centre/wing and ability to play up and down the roster. We saw that in the tournament with quality dirty work on the first line, shifts as the 3C and versatility and trust by the coach to be moved around with different lines and line mates. I think it was a massive mistake that he was taken off the first line in the gold medal game. Driven by elite skating, physicality and relentlessness on the puck he quite likely would have been a more effective cycle breaker against the American first line which dominated the Cozen line. But regardless, there is a strong pro style game, high character which makes me think he could transition to pro within a one or two year window.

What we don't know yet is Holloway's offensive upside. He didn't show a lot on a stacked Canada team but there's some suggestion his shot might have been impeded somewhat by injury. This will be a big year back in college hockey to assert himself as an offensive driver it sounds like as a centreman. I see Holloway projecting as a gritty 2W but could top out as a quality 3C and a lead penalty killer.

I think Holloway has better puck skills and stick skills than Moreau had in junior. Holloway didn't really have a lot of ice time to show case all of his skill. It's no coincidence that every line he was on was a forechecking demon

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
My opinion of him was basically hardened by seeing him more. A guy that will run through walls for a team, bring energy and forechecking, and has very limited offensive abilities. He has plus wheels and is slightly bigger than average. His determination, size and speed make him a great candidate for an eventual PK role and bottom-6 winger role. No chance he has the skill to play top-6 though, barring some miraculous turnaround with his puck abilities.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think Holloway has better puck skills and stick skills than Moreau had in junior. Holloway didn't really have a lot of ice time to show case all of his skill. It's no coincidence that every line he was on was a forechecking demon

Perhaps. Ethan Moreau though was a pretty solid producer at as a junior with a stat line of 44g 54a 98 points in 59 games. Add in 100 penalty minutes. Different era but still a high quality level of competition in arguably the best under 20 league in the world. I wasn't blown away by Holloway's puck skills or shot at the U20 but really hard to assess if indeed he was banged up. These are the elements of his game I'd like to see going back to Wisconsin and having a year of NCAA competition under his belt. This year started well for him. If both areas improve I think Holloway will be a 2W in the NHL. While playing an aggressive physical game, I'd say that Holloway doesn't have the toughest/meanness that Moreau played with. Less relevant in today's NHL but functional toughness with skill still has some value imo.

Lots to like in Holloway who plays a pro style game with elite skating and tenacity. The question is still how high is the upside.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Perhaps. Ethan Moreau though was a pretty solid producer at as a junior with a stat line of 44g 54a 98 points in 59 games. Add in 100 penalty minutes. Different era but still a high quality level of competition in arguably the best under 20 league in the world. I wasn't blown away by Holloway's puck skills or shot at the U20 but really hard to assess if indeed he was banged up. These are the elements of his game I'd like to see going back to Wisconsin and having a year of NCAA competition under his belt. This year started well for him. If both areas improve I think Holloway will be a 2W in the NHL. While playing an aggressive physical game, I'd say that Holloway doesn't have the toughest/meanness that Moreau played with. Less relevant in today's NHL but functional toughness with skill still has some value imo.

Lots to like in Holloway who plays a pro style game with elite skating and tenacity. The question is still how high is the upside.

Agree with this completely. Right now I would argue the upside isn't very high, but the floor is pretty high (if that makes sense). It's kind of weird to see a player that you are so sure of making it as a pro player, but where you are also very sure he doesn't have much actual offensive skill, lol. I'm struggling to remember another Oilers prospect that was similar.

Reactions: MessierII

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Agree with this completely. Right now I would argue the upside isn't very high, but the floor is pretty high (if that makes sense). It's kind of weird to see a player that you are so sure of making it as a pro player, but where you are also very sure he doesn't have much actual offensive skill, lol. I'm struggling to remember another Oilers prospect that was similar.
Ryan O’Mara?

Although I think Holloway has more offensive potential and O’Mara was more of a defensive stalwart prospect.

maybe even Ryan McLeod? With Holloway being much more physical and higher potential.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Yup, he has a mature game with the skating, size, and a super responsible game. He's smart with great versatility including own zone play and PK work. The question is going to be the puck skills and shot. Being among the youngest in NCAA last year jumping from AJHL clouds this imo. Sounds like there was also some dysfunction on the Wisconsin team too. So his return after the tournament will be interesting to watch and see how his offensive game develops. Regardless, there is enough quality and utility in his game where I think we both share there is an NHL player.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
I mean the guy handles the puck like a grenade. Great speed and physicality and drive. Don't see him ever being creatively competent or capable of making offensive plays at a high enough level to play in the top 6 of an NHL org. Maybe if he puts a lot more time into it.

I love the player for the most part, but his lack of offensive capability is a glaring worry.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
My kind of... prediction is that he'll have just enough offensive skill to justify him becoming a staple in the top 6 as a complementary winger. I think he has underrated vision, passing, and shooting, but he doesn't especially excel in any of these areas in a way that sets him apart from others. However he has an abundance of underappreciated skills/traits. He has a high compete level, isn't afraid to play physical, has a willingness to attack the center of the ice, creates space for teammates, is good on the face-off, and has good 2-way ability. Add to that his size & skating and you have a pretty complete package.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I'm cheering for this player, but I too see a player with weak hands which he'll need for top 6 forward duty. He could play effectively with 97 or 29, but he'd just be getting them pucks and going for rebounds. Maybe he can continue to develop that part of his game in college. I didn't think he looked all that smart defensively either in this tournament - lots of floating around and puck watching. Despite the comments on here, he seemed relatively invisible in terms of creating offense. Lots of skating around real fast though. Hoping he can develop into something - I'm pulling for him and he seems like a great kid.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Ryan O’Mara?

Although I think Holloway has more offensive potential and O’Mara was more of a defensive stalwart prospect.

maybe even Ryan McLeod? With Holloway being much more physical and higher potential.
Curtis Hamilton. Both played the same role on the WJC and looked promising. Was great draft+1. Went to the AHL and got worse. Man our AHL development back then reeks ass

Hopefully he becomes more than Hamilton tho.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You can cheer for the kid but still have an issue with the pick, or the ideology behind the pick.

Holloway has some noted limitations and having limited IQ and puck skills has kept many good prospects out of the NHL

Broberg has some similar limitations.

So it's great to watch these guys in the lower leagues tearing it up, but the jump to the NHL is going to be huge for them. I hope that they make it.

But having an issue with the picks isnt some horrible thing. Criticism is warranted and it's not healthy to just blindly agree with everything the Oilers do

Immediately prior to the draft I had Brobeeg on my do not draft board and had issues with Holloway (less so, didnt know as much about him though). So having issues with the pick is not being a debbie downer, it's just being consistent with how you viewed that prospect all along

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well our pick was later in the draft. Dominating players for Team Canada such as Quinn, Byfield and Jarvis would have ideal but we're gone by the time we got to pick.

Holloway making Team Canada was achievement enough for someone like me who wanted Jarvis or trade down.

Do not draft board list of one fan means nothing here and does not need defending. Time to cheer on our guys.

Reactions: Aerchon

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You can cheer for the kid but still have an issue with the pick, or the ideology behind the pick.

Holloway has some noted limitations and having limited IQ and puck skills has kept many good prospects out of the NHL

So it's great to watch these guys in the lower leagues tearing it up, but the jump to the NHL is going to be huge for them. I hope that they make it.

But having an issue with the picks isnt some horrible thing. Criticism is warranted and it's not healthy to just blindly agree with everything the Oilers do

Immediately prior to the draft I had Brobeeg on my do not draft board and had issues with Holloway (less so, didnt know as much about him though). So having issues with the pick is not being a debbie downer, it's just being consistent with how you viewed that prospect all along

his hockey IQ is actually one of his best attributes. He’s an excellent 2 way player, forechecker and even as a college rookie was relied on to be on the ice in the most crucial moments.

there’s way too many people who thrown around “low hockey IQ” without actually knowing what hockey IQ is.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Holloway doesn’t have big offensive upside. Like I don’t think he ever cracks 60 points in the nhl even with our centers. I think he’ll be like a Pat Maroon type with more speed. I think his finish will be there. He can shoot and with our centers he will score 20-30 consistently. He’ll be a great forechecker and a guy who can dig pucks out and win battles. Definitely a guy we don’t have in the system.

North

Jun 25, 2009

In what way does he have limited IQ?

Reactions: nabob

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I am not sure that Broberg pick and Holloway pick can be compared. To start Broberg was picked #8 and Holloway was picked #14.

The Broberg pick was a bit of a reach with some good guys on the board (namely Zegras). Depending on what Zegras does and what Broberg does, the pick will always be controversial. Broberg basically has to turn into a top pairing dman for it to not be controversial, which may or may not happen.

Holloway on the other hand, the way the draft unfolded, theres not really that one guy where you can say the Oilers should of picked him. Sure some people would of preferred Amirov, Reichel, or someone else but it wasnt totally an off the board pick. I dont think Holloway would of been the guy I would of personally picked but after Jarvis was drafted, its hard to have a super strong opinion on the pick. From watching the World Junior tournament, I didnt really come back with any kind of impression that there was a player the Oilers for sure should of picked over Holloway. As time goes on, I think there is a very good chance that some player(s) will turn out better than Holloway who were drafted later, but thats sort of the norm when it comes to the draft.

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place
I could see him being McDavid’s complimentary winger. Forechecking, puck retrievals, defensive conscience, good speed to keep up. Taking all the defensive zone draws so McDavid has a chance to break out on the wing. Similar to role Zach Hyman played for Auston Matthews in Toronto.

Just need a good shooter/skill player on the RW to complete that line. Perhaps if Puljujarvi can reach his potential.

Assuming Holloway/Puljujarvi can play up to or around their potential, I can envision a line of Holloway - McDavid - Puljujarvi to work

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Limited hockey IQ? First I’m hearing about this.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Holloway doesn’t have big offensive upside. Like I don’t think he ever cracks 60 points in the nhl even with our centers. I think he’ll be like a Pat Maroon type with more speed. I think his finish will be there. He can shoot and with our centers he will score 20-30 consistently. He’ll be a great forechecker and a guy who can dig pucks out and win battles. Definitely a guy we don’t have in the system.

Not to mention kill penalties and he’s strong in faceoff circle as well for defensive zone draws.

Reactions: MessierII

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020

tenor.gif

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

I genuinely think him and Maroon couldn't be any more different. Maroon is a handsy guy with poor feet, Holloway is a burner with questionable hands. Holloway has the speed and tenacity to be involved all over the ice, Maroon has the size, strength, and skill to dominate his area on the ice but can't dictate play as much. Maroon wasn't a strong forechecker but was very strong on the cycle and in retaining possession, a very good compliment to McDavid's dynamic ability on the rush and when given space. I think they're hoping for a faster Ryan Smyth, as in an all situations two way outscorer, not a solid depth scorer. I don't know about the offense either but he did have a hurt hand so I want to be careful about how much I judge his skill on this tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaddy and North

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I genuinely think him and Maroon couldn't be any different. Maroon is a handsy guy with poor feet, Holloway is a burner with questionable hands. Holloway has the speed and tenacity to be involved all over the ice, Maroon has the size, strength, and skill to dominate his area on the ice but can't dictate play as much. Maroon wasn't a strong forechecker but was very strong on the cycle and in retaining possession, a very good compliment to McDavid's dynamic ability on the rush and when given space. I think they're hoping for a faster Ryan Smyth, as in an all situations two way outscorer, not a solid depth scorer. I don't know about the offense either but he did have a hurt hand so I want to be careful about how much I judge his skill on this tournament.
I’m not comparing play styles just that he could play that complimentary role as a pure finisher 3rd wheel on one of our lines.

Reactions: Samus44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad