Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm happy that I've warmed up to this pick. Was not psyched initially, certainly not pre-draft, about him being the pick but given the options that was available at #14 there are probably not many other guys I would've taken ahead of him. The WJC will be interesting. Team Canada has Mercer and Zary on the team as well, so it'll be good to see how Holloway stacks up to those guys, seeing as both of them are '01 birthdays like him and were available at pick #14 as well.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I haven't watched a full wjc since 2014 back when team Canada had McDavid. Man those were fun times. This tournament has my interest though. Hopefully I'll have the time to watch some games. In regards to Holloway, I have said it previously but I'll say it again: There's a reason a GM that is a proven drafter took him. Dylan Holloway is going to be better than a lot of people think.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Other than the two future Flames busts making it, pretty good team.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think I may raise my Holloway projection a bit after seeing him in the gold medal game.

I know it's not smart to change an opinion after one game - but I do believe he creates space more for skilled guys than I thought coming in and we didn't get to see those opportunities for him as much before.

I had him pegged as a 3rd line player, but now I think he could be a Zach Hyman for us, which is pretty valuable.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I've downgraded my projections of Holloway. Still like the player but I see him far more as a third liner that can fill in the top 6 if needed than a legitimately top 6 skilled player.

A Kassian level player at best in terms of scoring/playmaking.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Oh boy, another Broberg situation to look forward to :sarcasm:

Lol. I should also clarify I like Kassians scoring/playmaking ability. I see Kassian as a perfect third liner that can drive a line. Aka be an impact player on the third line. When he moves up the line up he tends to be ok in that role but his skills are a bit lacking.

Holloway did not add much in the way of playmaking or scoring to the top line of team Canada. He created space and provided a solid 2 way presence but his offense could be and was replaced easily.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I've downgraded my projections of Holloway. Still like the player but I see him far more as a third liner that can fill in the top 6 if needed than a legitimately top 6 skilled player.

Dustin Brown is a better way of putting it. Also he's 18. Don't make a judgment yet lol

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012

Holloway wasn't given the TOI needed to showcase what he can be. The coaching staff kept him on an energy, bruising line. He wasn't given PP time, he barely got any PK time and the ES time he did get, he was taken off the ice fairly quickly.

Just wait till he returns to Wisconsin, then you'll see his true nature as a player. You're downgrading based off a tournament he wasn't a top player for.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'll take a Kassian who wins faceoffs, kills penalties and doesn't do dumb things on and off the ice.

Holloway could also be the net front presence on the PP.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You're taking to a guy who called Broberg a bust the second we drafted him.

He's not going to stop until he pollutes every prospect thread with his "thoughts".

He's "downgrading" Holloway after a few game sample size and now he's Kassian at best lol, as if he and Kassian even play similar games.
Hell, if we want to downgrade prospects. Lets downgrade Byfield, Quinn, Perfetti and Zary. These guys didn't piss a drop of offense outside of a few PP opportunities that Holloway didn't get. Jarvis didn't even make the team so he's a 4th liner at best, obviously.

It's dumb to make any projections based on this tournament.
What Holloway does in Wisconsin over the course of the next few years will be much more telling and so far so good on that front in the first 2 games.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe don't make assumptions based on a tournament. Its like saying Angelo Esposito was gonna turn into a great NHLer after having a good WJC run

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Holloway wasn't given the TOI needed to showcase what he can be. The coaching staff kept him on an energy, bruising line. He wasn't given PP time, he barely got any PK time and the ES time he did get, he was taken off the ice fairly quickly.

Just wait till he returns to Wisconsin, then you'll see his true nature as a player. You're downgrading based off a tournament he wasn't a top player for.

WJC are just a stitch in time in a players development. I'm downgrading him based off his performance in his role where he did spend a lot of time playing with talented forwards.

I'm looking forward to following his college career and hope I will be upgrading him post season.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Loved the way he played at the WJC, he was one of Canada’s best players in the GMG.

Needs a little work on his stick handling and hopefully he works on that at Wisconsin.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lol. I should also clarify I like Kassians scoring/playmaking ability. I see Kassian as a perfect third liner that can drive a line. Aka be an impact player on the third line. When he moves up the line up he tends to be ok in that role but his skills are a bit lacking.

Holloway did not add much in the way of playmaking or scoring to the top line of team Canada. He created space and provided a solid 2 way presence but his offense could be and was replaced easily.

I agree with you for the most part but the bolded is the reason I think Canada got whupped last night. If Holloway was kept on the top lines to create that space I think Newhook, Cozens, et al would have been more effective. The coach buggered up.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Maybe don't make assumptions based on a tournament. Its like saying Angelo Esposito was gonna turn into a great NHLer after having a good WJC run

The thing is, he was good in the tournament especially in the knockout games so I don't know why he would be downgraded as a result.
His role wasn't to drive offense and he got zero PP time so I'm not sure why anybody would expect big offensive output from him. Even with that said, he had the best scoring chance in the last few minutes. He was right there in the fight the whole time.
Oh and he had an injury early in the tournament so that might have hampered him a bit as far as shooting is concerned.

I just want to reiterate, he definitely has some things to work on if he wants to be a surefire top 6 NHL forward just to balance out my positive reviews of him. It's a good thing he's only 19 and has time to improve. He was off to a good start offensively in Wisconsin before the WJC so it'll be interesting to track his offensive progression this season.
I think his floor is an Ethan Moreau type player.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I agree with you for the most part but the bolded is the reason I think Canada got whupped last night. If Holloway was kept on the top lines to create that space I think Newhook, Cozens, et al would have been more effective. The coach buggered up.

I had this thought a couple times myself. But that line was very good against a solid Russia team without him on it. Too hard to say if he would of actually made a difference.

What we can say for sure is the coach did not adjust to playing from behind very well. With such a talented blue line I was expecting something more for pressure on the US in their zone. A lot of useless shots from the perimeter.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I had this thought a couple times myself. But that line was very good against a solid Russia team without him on it. Too hard to say if he would of actually made a difference.

What we can say for sure is the coach did not adjust to playing from behind very well. With such a talented blue line I was expecting something more for pressure on the US in their zone. A lot of useless shots from the perimeter.

Should have made the switch half way through the second when it was apparent the 1st line was getting suffocated. Holloway could have had the would-be checkers looking over their shoulders a bit and I think it would have freed up Cozens and McMichael enough that they'd have had a bit of space to create and potentially get to the middle of the ice which the Americans were clogging effectively.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I loved this pick and I have more confidence the Oil got a player after watching the U20. I've pimped the Ethan Moreau comp whose game was also driven by powerful skating, relentless puck pursuit and arriving with ill intent. Moreau's strong junior offence did not translate to NHL but reinvented himself into an immensely valuable character player with over 900 games played. If you can land a player like this mid-first round take and run it to the bank.

The strength of Holloway's game is his versatility both centre/wing and ability to play up and down the roster. We saw that in the tournament with quality dirty work on the first line, shifts as the 3C and versatility and trust by the coach to be moved around with different lines and line mates. I think it was a massive mistake that he was taken off the first line in the gold medal game. Driven by elite skating, physicality and relentlessness on the puck he quite likely would have been a more effective cycle breaker against the American first line which dominated the Cozen line. But regardless, there is a strong pro style game, high character which makes me think he could transition to pro within a one or two year window.

What we don't know yet is Holloway's offensive upside. He didn't show a lot on a stacked Canada team but there's some suggestion his shot might have been impeded somewhat by injury. This will be a big year back in college hockey to assert himself as an offensive driver it sounds like as a centreman. I see Holloway projecting as a gritty 2W but could top out as a quality 3C and a lead penalty killer.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He's not going to stop until he pollutes every prospect thread with his "thoughts".

He's "downgrading" Holloway after a few game sample size and now he's Kassian at best lol, as if he and Kassian even play similar games.
Hell, if we want to downgrade prospects. Lets downgrade Byfield, Quinn, Perfetti and Zary. These guys didn't piss a drop of offense outside of a few PP opportunities that Holloway didn't get. Jarvis didn't even make the team so he's a 4th liner at best, obviously.

It's dumb to make any projections based on this tournament.
What Holloway does in Wisconsin over the course of the next few years will be much more telling and so far so good on that front in the first 2 games.

There's some people like Stauffer and Rishaug who are saying this current season is Holloways last season in College

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
There's some people like Stauffer and Rishaug who are saying this current season is Holloways last season in College
Good. Never know with the college loophole. Get them signed as soon as they seem ready for the next level.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

I mean, he was a late birthday and would basically be 20 by the start of next season.

Forwards, particularly winger is the easiest position for young player like that to jump in. D men and goalies need a lot more seasoning time in the AHL.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Holloway is done college after this year either to be honest. But if he needed another year, that’s fine too.

I’m pretty confident in Holloway’s ability to be an NHLer in some capacity. He’s a very high floor type of player who does a lot of things on the ice the proper way already. Particularly defensively, Tippett will love the way he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->