2020 CFHF Prospect Ranking #9

Who is the best prospect from this list?

• Josh Nodler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adam Ruzicka

• Roy Kerins

• Ilya Solovyov

• Colton Poolman

• Yan Kuznetsov

• Jake Boltman

• Demetrius Koumontizis

• A Yelesin

• Martin Pospisil

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Im not going to go back to the in time to fact check all four of Giordano, Kulak, Ferland and Byron, but CFHF 2017 prospect rankings:

1. Jankowski
2. Parsons
3. Andersson
4. Valimaki
5. Kylington
6. Gillies
7. Fox
8. Dube
9. Mangiapane
10. Foo
11. Kulak
12. Klimchuk

I don’t know about you, but picking skill over certainty didn’t age that poorly at all in this case. Jankowski (up until last year), Andersson, (likely) Valimaki, (arguably) Kylington if given a chance, Fox, Dube, and Mangiapane are all better players than Kulak. That’s 70% of the guys ranked ahead of him. And 2 of them were goalies which everyone knows are a crapshoot anyways. Seems to have worked out well to me (again in this one case), but I’m not going to spend a bunch of time going back and substantiating your claims, but in this case it’s fair to say that 70% of the guys ranked ahead of him have more than “meagre AHL success”.

If there’s one thing I’m willing to die on a hill for is skill gives you the best chance to play. Period. And if it doesn’t turn out you’ve ranked a bust who had a shot at being a game breaker over a bottom 6 dime-a-dozen player. Not the end of the world.

Again, it’s got to be a situation where you weigh the potential and likelihood of reaching the potential (I.e, expected payoff calculations in finance if you’re familiar). But I don’t see a huge difference in the makeup of prospect Kylington vs. Poirier.

Man that’s a pretty good d-core on its own for 2021 -

Kulak-Andersson
Valimaki-Fox
Kylington

Reactions: User1996

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Ferland didn’t have skill? Kulak didn’t have skill? Giordano didn’t have skill? Those guys are all very skilled players. Like who has more skill than Ferland? Honestly probably no Flames prospect other that Gaudreau over the last 15 years.
Yet our fan base pegged him as a 4th loner cause he was physical and we ranked him out of our top ten AFTER he massacred vancouver in the playoffs. Because he was seen as a grinder.
Firstly, skill is perceived to be highly correlated to potential, so I used “skill” instead of “potential”. That’s just semantics, but I should’ve made it clearer. I’m not even going to waste time responding to Ferland having the most skill, I need to spend that time cleaning up the coffee that I spat out from breaking into laughter.

we are doing the same thing with Gawdin. ‘He’s a 4th loner”. Why because he’s solid defensively and physical he only has the ceiling of a 4th liner? A guy who had a 120 point season, was the best player in the best line in the CHL (albeit as an overage) only has the potential of a 4th liner? Why does someone like Phillips have offensive potential but Gawdin doesn’t?
You’re generalizing the voting results and boards perception of players to the way I vote and how I value players. I wouldn’t have Phillips that high. While he has potential, I don’t think he has enough skill to make up for his size. He’s not on Gaudreau’s level of skill and I don’t think Phillips can overcome his size because of that. Again it comes down to weighing upside and probability they reach that upside, which is why I wouldn’t have Phillips very high.

people were throwing Mangiapane and Dube in trades left right and centre for absolutely garbage players until this year because our fan base had pegged them as low potential assets for some reason.
Again, you’re generalizing what other posters have said to me. Anyone who didn’t see the upside with Dube and Mangiapane were out to lunch. I’m pretty sure in the 2017 poll that I posted the results of I was voting for Dube right after Valimaki at 5. If not it was generally around that area.

You assume development is linear but for all we know Gawdin improves for the next 4 seasons and he becomes the next stud two way forward in our organization.
Where in the world did I say anything about development being linear? For all we know Poirier develops into one of the premier offensive defencemen in the NHL. The point is, we DON’T know. I don’t know that Poirier will turn out to what I hope, and you don’t know Gawdin will meet your projections. All we can do is use the information we have to value prospects.

Our board likes flash, and perceived potential. Not actual potential. Very different things and I think you can see it play out in the difference between prospects like Gawdin, Phillips and Z. We love small skilled forwards, it’s like everyone else is destined to be a 4th liner.
Perceived potential is individual to each and every poster. What you value in a player may lead you to think other posters are overblowing potential, or vice versa. You can’t speak in absolutes, which seems to be your M.O.

At the end of the day I made a post detailing how I vote (I still don’t think you understand based on your response) and you disagree, and that’s fine. But you posted so called evidence that my method for voting lead to undervaluing players with a high likelihood of playing in the NHL but lower ceiling. But if anything, like I said, voting Dube, Mangiapane, Kylington and company ahead of Kulak wasn’t as disastrous as you seem to think.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I agree with the general premise that people tend to think more highly of recently drafted players with exciting ceilings than older prospects with a more readily transferable skillset to the NHL. It's part of why I hate seeing goalies (of which there are only 62 league-wide spots) in our top 5 every year.

For instance, I think we'll be lucky if Poirier develops into what Kinnvall is now even if the former's ceiling is ridiculously high for his draft position. For me it comes down to which propsect would hurt more to lose right now vs their expected ceiling. I'm not sure a 2020 3rd rounder is more valuable than a guy putting up serious numbers in the 3rd or 4th best league in the world

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
For the purposes of rankings on our board, we usually always use the mentality, “Gun to the head, which prospect would you keep for any number of reasons”.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Gun to head, I'd feel a lot worse losing Gawdin or Kinnvall than not having Poirier, all things considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad