WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
From this 1st game pre-tournament game, it appears that Lafreniere (1st line) and Thomas line do not have adequate chemistry. Dudas line played well, and the Byfield line was ok.
the 2nd defensive pairing of JBD and Bahl needs to be a lot better. Or they will be split up.
Didn’t look like anyone had chemistry out there... but it’s only one game and far too early to consider blowing things up.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
thought the team for the most part looked tentative and nervous. A lot of players holding the stick too tight and trying to play roles that they are not accustomed to, including the big ice.
hope they can overcome these obstacles

The players to me that I thought did not have good game, were
  1. Benoit-Olivier Groulx - can't recall hearing his name mentioned at all
  2. Lavoie - looked asleep some shifts, questionable puck decisions
  3. Thomas - looked lost at times, perhaps this level is just too fast for him
  4. McMichael - seemed out of sorts, perhaps needs time to adjust, perhaps playing a different role than used to
  5. Byram - other than his goal didn't impress, and was perhaps the worst D today
  6. Bahl - definitely needs to pick up his game mentally, had a good 1st and then kinda went down hill. Needs to be faster and smarter with the puck
My call to eliminate someone based on today's game would definitely be Benoit-Olivier Groulx.

However I would wait until after the next exhibition game against the Finns.

Agree with most of these, though I’ll add Foote to this list, he was quite poor on the top line and had trouble getting around on the big ice.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Still confused how Harley didn't make this team.. he should be in the six main D rotation.

After seeing Drysdale and Addison play today, I'm not sure thats true at all. Hes not playing over Smith, McIsaac, Byram or Bernard-Docker for sure. After that I woulda said Drysdale is young so maybe over him but hes going to be good on the big ice and Addison did look good today as well playing the role Harley would be playing.

Could he have made the team? Definitely, but I dont think hes some glaring omission who clearly make this team better and I definitely dont think hes an obvious top 6 D on this team. Could he have worked his way into the top 6? I'm sure he could've but hes not making or breaking this team

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Please cut Groulx. He is not going to be able to score a goal in this tournament, just not quick enough. The other forwards like Thomas, Lavoie, Mercer; these guys can at least create scoring chances or maybe chip 1 goal or 2. Thomas can PK as well.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
If they think Dudas will be healthy enough to play then they obviously feel Hes an asset. Hes a speedy player that works about as hard as anyone in the league. Hes shifty and often he can skate through a whole team with out being taken off the puck. He can play any kind of role you want him to play. Yes he lacks size but he can throw hits and take hits and man can he score. He often rises to the occasion when in the big spot light and loves to prove doubters wrong. hes an elite player don't let his numbers and size fool you.

Im not big on quoting my self and I know its only a pre tournament game but I think its just a glimpse of what we will see in the tournament.. He looked pretty darn good yesterday picking up two primary assists.. His whole line played pretty well .

Reactions: Garyboy

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
for selfish hockey pool related reasons I really hope Veleno sticks with Lafrenière.

But as long as the goalies show up, you could probably play the forwards any way you like and this team should still make it to the semis without much trouble, deep everywhere.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
A Hayton-Byfield-Cozens line is intriguing. Great hands down the middle feeding tons of speed to the wings, could be fun

J1mLahey

Jan 13, 2011
Toronto
Still shocked that Newhook didn't atleast get a look on the big ice, I feel his game suits the international ice. As others have said, not sure what Foote has done to be consistently slotted on L1.

It's going to (as it often times does) come down to goalies and who gets hot. We run into Knight and Askarov back to back to start and don't even have a bonafide #1 which is a bit worrisome.

With that said, excited to see Veleno finally get to practice with the team. Best time of the year and a Christmas tradition.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Was not surprised when LW Foote struggled in his first game as a right wing, but he probably won't be as bad as RW Lavoie trying to play on the left wing. The coach should just swap those two now, unless they plan on cutting Lavoie. The lines would then be:

Lafrenière-Veleno-Lavoie
Foote-Hayton-Cozens
Foudy-Dellandrea-Dudas
Byfield- McMichael-Thomas
Mercer

Last edited:

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011

I think once Drysdale figures out that he is as good as anyone else he is going to be superstar quality
Hayton off the top line- saw that one coming
Thomas verses Mercer- no contest but Thomas could be more versatile sad to say
Now where does Lavoie really fit in? Hunter calls him a power forward. Really ?.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Would rather Mercer than Foote on that line. He’s faster, better defensively, played right wing with Velano at times last year, has much more tempo, and has just as much offense as Foote.

No clue why Foote is being shoe horned into this role.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think once Drysdale figures out that he is as good as anyone else he is going to be superstar quality
Hayton off the top line- saw that one coming
Thomas verses Mercer- no contest but Thomas could be more versatile sad to say
Now where does Lavoie really fit in? Hunter calls him a power forward. Really ?.

I think Drysdale is a guy thats going to work his way into the top 6 consistently by the end of the tournament. I could be wrong but I think he outplays Bahl and Addison. Theyre going to start the young guy as the number 7 and give him some PP time probably but as time goes on I bet he plays a lot.

Lavoie is a trigger man that this team kinda lacks. I dont love his game but if he turns it on for big games he has a skill set different than most players on the team. Hopefully hes on for the tourney though.

So who are we thinking gets sent home from the fwd group?

If I had to guess, based on the lines today... Lavoie is rotating with Byfield and Thomas and Mercer are rotating with each other. I think Byfield is a lock so I would guess those other 3 are all on the chopping block

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
I'm going to call it now, the shootout is going to burn Canada in this tournament again. Just like it did in the 2017 final vs the States. Why they cut a guy like Perfetti who can actually score during stuff like that is mind-boggling.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm going to call it now, the shootout is going to burn Canada in this tournament again. Just like it did in the 2017 final vs the States. Why they cut a guy like Perfetti who can actually score during stuff like that is mind-boggling.
Taking a guy because he’s good at shootouts, in a tournament where Canada has been in a shootout, what, 2 times in the past 15 years, doesn’t make much sense.

If he wasn’t in the top 13, he shouldn’t have been taken. There is no lacking of guys to put in a shootout In the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->