WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk Part II

Aug 3, 2010
It was a funny tournament because all the favourites demonstrated stretches if not entire games of poor play.

Ultimately Canada improved every game following the round robin Russia game and that’s what you want to see if you want to win gold.

A lot of that, undoubtedly, was Hofer being so solid back there and giving the team confidence that not every little mistake might end up in your own net.
Seems like that's the modern "Canadian" formula to win tournaments.

Shaky starts, outright bad game resulting in a loss during round robin play (to a rival like USA or Russia) then start to gel and show who they really are once they reach the medal rounds with confidence. Sort of a "don't poke the bear" approach.

Works in all formats - WJC, Olympics, etc.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Seems like that's the modern "Canadian" formula to win tournaments.

Shaky starts, outright bad game resulting in a loss during round robin play (to a rival like USA or Russia), then start to gel and show what they can really be once they reach the medal rounds with confidence.

Works in all formats - WJC, Olympics, etc.

It’s gotten to the point where I am antsy if we don’t face a little adversity.

Reactions: Hagstrom and 1989

Aug 3, 2010
It’s gotten to the point where I am antsy if we don’t face a little adversity.
Same - nowadays Canada has real rivals with regards to top-end talents and coaching systems so they can't rest on their laurels any more.

But if they get a good beating in an early RR game by a rival nation, Canadian pride kind of springs forth and players remember how to play for the emblem on the front. Also obviously great bulletin board material if/when they meet the rival later on in the medal rounds.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I mean Canada pretty clearly carried the game from basically the second the 3rd Russian goal went in the net. What the goals look like really doesn't matter in the slightest in regards to how Canada actually played in that period with their backs up against the wall. I just can't see any logic behind saying a team that came from 2 goals down with 10 minutes to go...didn't have a push. Like it makes zero sense...in any way you put it. Canada didn't get 3 lucky goals lol.

You're mixed up between coming back and getting goals one way or another and making a noteworthy push to tie it up. Canada played pretty much the same game as it had been playing all game, except there weren't penalties against and some breaks went Canada's way. It was nothing like the push against USA in the preliminary round for instance. Of course, a big push like we saw in say 2012 pales in comparison to playing a steady game and pulling out the win.

Jack saw a different game then us but he usually tends to be fairly guarded in his assessments.

As you said, Canada pushed and made them break.

I am being realistic. I'm not one to cry about goaltending before the tournament when it hasn't been a significant problem in years and dismiss Canada's chances, only to then pretend that Canada pushed Russia to break just because the bounces went Canada's way.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You're mixed up between coming back and getting goals one way or another and making a noteworthy push to tie it up. Canada played pretty much the same game as it had been playing all game, except there weren't penalties against and some breaks went Canada's way. It was nothing like the push against USA in the preliminary round for instance. Of course, a big push like we saw in say 2012 pales in comparison to playing a steady game and pulling out the win.

I am being realistic. I'm not one to cry about goaltending before the tournament when it hasn't been a significant problem in years and dismiss Canada's chances, only to then pretend that Canada pushed Russia to break just because the bounces went Canada's way.
I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. There was a pretty clear shift in the game in the last 8-9 minutes from my perspective. If you don't think there was and Canada just got some lucky bounces...well that is your opinion I guess.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. There was a pretty clear shift in the game in the last 8-9 minutes from my perspective. If you don't think there was and Canada just got some lucky bounces...well that is your opinion I guess.

Indeed, and it doesn't matter anyway. The result went the right way and that's all that counts.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

But goaltending has been a problem and Canada did push back to win this game. but you can think as you wish, that's your opinion. But it's just that as mine is, your opinion.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We won and deserved to win, that is the bottom line.

Reactions: wishywashy19

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think we got a decent shot at the repeat on home ice next year.

Tough to say without knowing who will all be around this time next year but this is the best I've felt in a while about next years chances for sure. Lots of young guys on the team this year and what looks like a great draft coming up for Canada.

They should have a stud dman in Drysdale next year that they didnt have this year

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
This one was sweet. I usually switch off the TV and move on pretty quickly after a gold medal win, but I savored this one a little longer with a few fine domestic brews.

I hope Hayton really cements his spot in the Arizona roster and starts putting up some numbers...perhaps then some idiot NHL GMs can clue in on the benefits of sending those types of players to the tournament.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
This one was sweet. I usually switch off the TV and move on pretty quickly after a gold medal win, but I savored this one a little longer with a few fine domestic brews.

I hope Hayton really cements his spot in the Arizona roster and starts putting up some numbers...perhaps then some idiot NHL GMs can clue in on the benefits of sending those types of players to the tournament.

Well in Lamoreillos defence, the guy he did send ended up embarrassing himself. So they don't all end up captain material.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The Hayton addition ended up being bigger than I expected. Canada doesn't win without the releases of both Hayton and Veleno. Hayton's separated shoulder goal will be a part of TSN video packages for a long time to come.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

ya Whalstrom really developed

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We sure know how to drive em crazy, this tournament was the perfect storm. The hayton incident, camera gate, hayton coming up big after all the fury over the incident, taking out the team that first whipped us 6-0 and had them and all their fans sure they were gong to win only to face a different team in the real money game and they suffer a heart wrenching defeat when it most matters to Canada...........yet again.

No one makes the hockey world lose their shit quite like Canada, it's a gift we have.

Reactions: wishywashy19

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Looking back that 6-0 drubbing at the hands of Russia was the best thing that could have happened to us. It forced our hand in settling on Hofer or at least giving him the real shot at proving he could be the guy and it embarrassed the team and made them sharpen their focus on getting better while also injecting us with a chip on our shoulder to right the wrong, which is always a good thing for our teams.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Looking back that 6-0 drubbing at the hands of Russia was the best thing that could have happened to us. It forced our hand in settling on Hofer or at least giving him the real shot at proving he could be the guy and it embarrassed the team and made them sharpen their focus on getting better while also injecting us with a chip on our shoulder to right the wrong, which is always a good thing for our teams.
I was counting on Daws failing and giving Hofer the starting role for one of those WJC pools. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad