WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk Part II

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Love of all these “if it was the other way around” takes. Most people wouldn’t care if it happened to Canada but because it benefited a Canadian win it’s the end of the world.

Anyways, cheers boys!

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Fair enough, though it's usually pretty hyperbolic.
Probably, my emotions run as high as the next person's. Once in my microscope I could very well focus far too much on small things. In McIssacs case I was correct. He was pretty damn bad with the puck, his reads and his pinches. It's a shame because not many big men skate the way he does and have the raw skills he possesses.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It really came down to a goalie that really came through for a change.

We might not have been the best overall team, but he kept us in it and allowed us to win it.

Yep. If Hofer gives us the goalie performance Canada got versus the US and Russia, Canada loses today.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I found this win more satisfying than others
Probably after the way it ended last year
A lot of players excelled and those that were supposed to shine did so
Glad to see Thomas score the winner
I think the pro Canada crowd was instrumental in victory
All around a feel great moment
The Hunters came as advertised
This is getting to be one tough tournament to win
Canada gold sits just fine with me
Should sleep well tonight

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That was certainly an interesting tournament for Canada. I'm glad that the team won of course, but I think it was definitely one of the weakest winners I recall. I don't think that there's much that can be taken from it other than sometimes the breaks go your way and sometimes they don't. The defencemen struggled throughout (I hope that they don't go with Tourigny to coach the next team) both in battles and moving the puck efficiently out of the zone. I still don't like how the team rolled over against Russia in the preliminary round, and despite the win I found that there was a lack of push even in the gold medal game. These are minor gripes however when the team won, because that's all that matters in the end.

I'll also admit to being wrong about a few players. I ripped the Dudas selection after he walked straight onto the team without a camp, but he was a good soldier and quality penalty killer. I have to think that no one was happier about the camera decision than he was. I also thought that Addison was a terrible pick, but overall he may have been Canada's best defenceman, with only Smith as a possible contender. Nothing noteworthy defensively, but a reliably puck mover and a good powerplay option. Foote played well but lost his spot in the gold medal game when Canada needed forwards who could play centre.I'm not very down on the depth forwards who didn't really score either. Hunter rode his big guns hard, but the result was a gold so that's that. Foudy also impressed me with his consistently good play. Hayton had one of the most interesting arcs that I can remember. He did keep the puck too much early on and his play was frustrating, but he came out well after his helmet gaffe and even scored with his separated shoulder. You have to respect the effort he gave. Lafreniere also looks like the real deal and looked like the class of the tournament.

I'm glad that Canada won and this team has my respect for not giving up after various setbacks and progressing to the win. Canada has gone on a respectable run after the barren early 2010s but there is room for improvement. On to next year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It was a funny tournament because all the favourites demonstrated stretches if not entire games of poor play.

Ultimately Canada improved every game following the round robin Russia game and that’s what you want to see if you want to win gold.

A lot of that, undoubtedly, was Hofer being so solid back there and giving the team confidence that not every little mistake might end up in your own net.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It was a funny tournament because all the favourites demonstrated stretches if not entire games of poor play.

Ultimately Canada improved every game following the round robin Russia game and that’s what you want to see if you want to win gold.

A lot of that, undoubtedly, was Hofer being so solid back there and giving the team confidence that not every little mistake might end up in your own net.
I would call Hofer the team M.V.P, as good as Lafreniere was we simply don't win this thing if he doesn't play like he did. How many times of late has bad goaltending killed us? it causes a total meltdown.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That was certainly an interesting tournament for Canada. I'm glad that the team won of course, but I think it was definitely one of the weakest winners I recall. I don't think that there's much that can be taken from it other than sometimes the breaks go your way and sometimes they don't. The defencemen struggled throughout (I hope that they don't go with Tourigny to coach the next team) both in battles and moving the puck efficiently out of the zone. I still don't like how the team rolled over against Russia in the preliminary round, and despite the win I found that there was a lack of push even in the gold medal game. These are minor gripes however when the team won, because that's all that matters in the end.

I'll also admit to being wrong about a few players. I ripped the Dudas selection after he walked straight onto the team without a camp, but he was a good soldier and quality penalty killer. I have to think that no one was happier about the camera decision than he was. I also thought that Addison was a terrible pick, but overall he may have been Canada's best defenceman, with only Smith as a possible contender. Nothing noteworthy defensively, but a reliably puck mover and a good powerplay option. Foote played well but lost his spot in the gold medal game when Canada needed forwards who could play centre.I'm not very down on the depth forwards who didn't really score either. Hunter rode his big guns hard, but the result was a gold so that's that. Foudy also impressed me with his consistently good play. Hayton had one of the most interesting arcs that I can remember. He did keep the puck too much early on and his play was frustrating, but he came out well after his helmet gaffe and even scored with his separated shoulder. You have to respect the effort he gave. Lafreniere also looks like the real deal and looked like the class of the tournament.

I'm glad that Canada won and this team has my respect for not giving up after various setbacks and progressing to the win. Canada has gone on a respectable run after the barren early 2010s but there is room for improvement. On to next year.
The only part of this that doesn't quite make sense to me...How can a team come from 3-1 down to win it halfway through the third....Without there being a push back? That makes zero sense.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Disagree with questioning the Laf choice. He was a tier above everyone else, he was the difference maker for Canada. One of the best junior performances since Tavares back in Ottawa or Kuznetsov in Buffalo (my opinion). Looks like a top line NHL forward today.

Complete skill set. He can outskate you, outhit you, score with his complete arsenal of shots, and has elite vision and passing skills. Defensively, he's above average, and unlike many super skilled players, he works just as hard defensively as offensively.

I put him on that Eichel/Draisaitl/Matthews/Barkov/Petersson tier, with real potential to move into Mackinnon territory as early as his rookie season.

Really glad I got to watch him as I only really see him in international play.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The only part of this that doesn't quite make sense to me...How can a team come from 3-1 down to win it halfway through the third....Without there being a push back? That makes zero sense.

Thomas' goal, yes. McMichael's goal was just a fluke bounce, the other was a standard powerplay goal. Canada never really started taking it to Russia in the third outside of Thomas jumping in when everyone else fell asleep.

I would like to give Hofer some credit to. Very dependable goaltending. He didn't steal anything but he didn't give it away, which is all that I hope for from Canada's goaltenders.

Reactions: wishywashy19

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Thomas' goal, yes. McMichael's goal was just a fluke bounce, the other was a standard powerplay goal. Canada never really started taking it to Russia in the third outside of Thomas jumping in when everyone else fell asleep.

I would like to give Hofer some credit to. Very dependable goaltending. He didn't steal anything but he didn't give it away, which is all that I hope for from Canada's goaltenders.
I mean Canada pretty clearly carried the game from basically the second the 3rd Russian goal went in the net. What the goals look like really doesn't matter in the slightest in regards to how Canada actually played in that period with their backs up against the wall. I just can't see any logic behind saying a team that came from 2 goals down with 10 minutes to go...didn't have a push. Like it makes zero sense...in any way you put it. Canada didn't get 3 lucky goals lol.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Disagree with questioning the Laf choice. He was a tier above everyone else, he was the difference maker for Canada. One of the best junior performances since Tavares back in Ottawa or Kuznetsov in Buffalo (my opinion). Looks like a top line NHL forward today.

Complete skill set. He can outskate you, outhit you, score with his complete arsenal of shots, and has elite vision and passing skills. Defensively, he's above average, and unlike many super skilled players, he works just as hard defensively as offensively.

I put him on that Eichel/Draisaitl/Matthews/Barkov/Petersson tier, with real potential to move into Mackinnon territory as early as his rookie season.

I don’t think anyone disagrees about his talent and skill set.

Just whether he is the right MVP having missed some time and not really making an impact in the final.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

I agree with you 100 percent. I’d also add his anticipation skills (which stems from his hockey IQ) are so elite.

Some of the best hockey sense I’ve seen in a draft eligible player in a long time.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I mean Canada pretty clearly carried the game from basically the second the 3rd Russian goal went in the net. What the goals look like really doesn't matter in the slightest in regards to how Canada actually played in that period with their backs up against the wall. I just can't see any logic behind saying a team that came from 2 goals down with 10 minutes to go...didn't have a push. Like it makes zero sense...in any way you put it. Canada didn't get 3 lucky goals lol.
Jack saw a different game then us but he usually tends to be fairly guarded in his assessments.

As you said, Canada pushed and made them break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad