Movies: 2020 Best Picture: Should Win vs. Will Win

Choose one movie you think should win Best Picture and one movie you think will win Best Picture

• Should Win - Ford v Ferrari

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Should Win - The Irishman

• Should Win - Little Women

• Will Win - Ford v Ferrari

• Will Win - The Irishman

• Will Win - Jojo Rabbit

• Will Win - Joker

• Will Win - Marriage Story

• Total voters

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Vote for 2 different options in the poll, one each from the should win category and will win category. Should win is just your personal favorite and will win is what you think will actually win at the Oscars tomorrow night.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Parasite should; 1917 will. But I've got my fingers crossed because it is pretty damn close.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Parasite should; 1917 will. But I've got my fingers crossed because it is pretty damn close.
Yeah of the realistic options to win (1917, Parasite, Hollywood), I'm fully behind Parasite. Just that stupid "foreign films have their own category" nonsense holding it back.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

You and I think alike on this one. Also have zero problem if that were to happen.

Regardless of my views on the oscars and award ceremonies in general, I will say that this is a pretty strong list compared to 2018. Even my personal weaker selections (Little Women, Joker) didn't "offend" me.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The only films I haven't seen from this crop are Irishman and Jojo Rabbit. Of the ones I have seen, I thought Marriage story was the best of the lot, so I picked that one in the should win category. Will win is probably 1917, which I enjoyed, but it was more for the one shot (It was actually 2) approach.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The last 1/3rd of Parasite was a miss for me. I don’t think it should win

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I wouldn't call it a miss, but the last quarter or so of the film did prevent me from bestowing the term masterpiece I'll admit.

Yeah that’s a better way of putting it. I wish they skipped the whole hidden basement plot and went further with the parasite element. It would’ve made the film close to perfect in my eyes

Pattysaurus

Oct 28, 2007
New York
Should win: 1917
Will win: 1917

My rank of the six that I've seen:

Parasite
Marriage Story
Jojo Rabbit
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Joker

Top two are very close, middle two are close, last two were average.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

I feel the exact same way as you. I think Parasite should win but 1917 may take it but I'm hoping the Academy decides to go with a film that I found more intriguing (Parasite).

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yeah that’s a better way of putting it. I wish they skipped the whole hidden basement plot and went further with the parasite element. It would’ve made the film close to perfect in my eyes
The great thing about the title--a terrific pick, I think--is which family is the parasite? All depends on one's point of view.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

It’s funny ... I honestly think this is the worst thing I’ve read/heard anyone say about Parasite. And it’s not that negative!

I rambled about this is another thread, but I can’t recall a single movie that has had the acceptance levels that Parasite has. It feels like every movie (ever) has at least some vocal detractors. I have yet to read or hear an anti-Parasite take.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It’s funny ... I honestly think this is the worst thing I’ve read/heard anyone say about Parasite. And it’s not that negative!

I rambled about this is another thread, but I can’t recall a single movie that has had the acceptance levels that Parasite has. It feels like every movie (ever) has at least some vocal detractors. I have yet to read or hear an anti-Parasite take.
Yeah it's tough to just outright dislike, which isn't the case for some of the other movies on this list. For me I liked it so much up until the basement plot, then it was just liking parts of it more than the sum of its parts. The housekeeper returning and going down was my favorite part of the entire movie, but I think the reveal after that was a bit meh. I think I was disappointed it didn't go full blown horror, which it felt like it was leading up to.

I haven't seen Little Women, Jojo or FvF, but movies I liked more this year were:

The Lighthouse
Uncut Gems
Marriage Story
Knives Out
I Lost My Body
Midsommar
Ad Astra

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Out of 25 voters only 3 people voted for something outside of the 3 favorites in terms of what should win (2 for Marriage Story, 1 for Jojo). Obvious split with more preferring Parasite to 1917 but seems like there will be no situation similar to Green Book last year where a lot of people will be pissed off.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Maybe I missed a major theme with the movie and the full meaning of the basement plot.

I just think it would’ve been a better movie if the family had taken the parasite aspect one step further...

Seemed like things were trending towards a continuously escalating situation with the Kim family all supplanting the wealthy Park family’s service-foundation. The Kims wedged themselves in and especially with that scene “what if this were our home” I thought they were going to keep escalating and displace the Parks entirely.

THAT would’ve been more compelling to me. Again, maybe I missed something with the husband in the basement but I felt like it was unnecessary and hurt the plot trajectory the movie set me on

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Out of 25 voters only 3 people voted for something outside of the 3 favorites in terms of what should win (2 for Marriage Story, 1 for Jojo). Obvious split with more preferring Parasite to 1917 but seems like there will be no situation similar to Green Book last year where a lot of people will be pissed off.

I'm glad someone else (You) voted for Marriage Story in the should win category. I know I'm an outlier, but considering a lot of the other Netflix movies are not all that great, MS really really surprised me in the best possible way. Also, Johannsen and Driver acted the hell out of that movie.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Enjoyed Knives Out the msot but I thoguht Marriage Story was the best made film from this list in terms of acting, storyline, pacing, etc.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Knives Out was a ton of fun. I thought my TLJ-induced dislike of Rian Johnson would keep me from liking it but I absolutely loved Knives Out

Reactions: Canucks5551

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Parasite is by far the most superior out of all 8 nominees. While I do not mind 1917, I am not overly impressed with it either. At this point, one shot techniques, while impressive due to all the moving parts, is nothing more than a gimmick to cover up for a lack of substance. I find myself hard to focus for the movie too, because when the action winds down, my attention wanes too.

Little Women is my number two. Gerwig is a talented storyteller, and she gave a new perspective to a well-known story when she put the two parts of the original book in the same time frame and told the story simultaneously through the use of flashbacks, which created a parallel between the past and future. I also liked how she, different from the book, made the ending ambiguous, and it adds another layer to the film.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
To habsjosh2k2; missingmika; Bogart; Ainec; Voight; The Big Ruszkowski; and Newsworthy. Great call.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
Of the ones I’ve seen, I’d rank them:
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Ford vs Ferrari

Pretty good crop of movies. Even for the last one on my list, I enjoyed Ford vs Ferrari despite not being into cars at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad