Prospect Info: 2020 62nd Overall Pick | C Gage Goncalves

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Gage Goncalves is the ultimate underdog story. He was a complete unknown in the 2019 Draft, going completely unranked everywhere you look. Posting just 1 goal and 15 points in 67 games in his draft year with the Everett Silvertips can do that to you. But he rapidly turned it around. In his second full WHL season, Goncalves, who elected to re-enter the draft in 2020, posted 33 goals and 38 assists for 71 points in 68 games. He went from being completely unranked to being placed at 74th by Elite Prospects.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey...ntry-players-tag-bertuzzi-and-gage-goncalves/

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Turned 19 last January

1 goal + 14 assists = 15 points in 67 gp (2019)
33 goals + 38 assists = 71 points in 60 gp (2020)

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
I'm no expert, but Goncalves is a guy I really liked this year as an overager and was hoping for him in the 4th or 5th for Montreal.

I said this on my website:

"Goncalves' offensive production took a big leap in 2019-2020 as he went from a single goal and 15 points to 33 goals and 71 points in fewer games! Previously known for his intelligence, defensive efficiency and hard work, Goncalves certainly stood out with such offensive production, proving himself particularly effective with the man advantage. The youngster may never be a great offensive producer in the NHL for lack of excellent puck skills or a more explosive skating stride, but his level of effort and his intelligence on the ice could see him get drafted."

Reactions: Zwui21

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Goncalves on his improvement from 2018-19 to 2019-20:
“I just took everything into more detail,” said Goncalves. “More of a mindset that I wasn’t just going to be satisfied with minutes, or a couple points a week. I wanted to score. I wanted to be the guy who could score the goal, set up that play every single night. Just how my mindset and attitude changed – that was really a big step for me.”
“He went home, got stronger, came back more determined, and said ‘ok, I’ll show everyone I’m deserving of a bigger role’,” said Davidson. “He took the bull by horns and never looked back. Gage is a fast learner, a quick learner, and an astute person but also has very good hockey instincts – his proof is in the pudding.”
“I thought he came back (last year) with a great summer of training, lots of confidence, and wanting to prove he was a top six player,” said Williams. “From the time we got back to Everett to when guys had to go home due to COVID, he was an excellent player.”

“What he does away from puck, 200 feet, he plays to the expectations and responsibilities. He’s a knowledgeable player who understands all the systems. As the year went on we saw his stock as a player rise and he got up for big games. He proved he was worthy of being drafted.”
Goncalves said in the Stanley Cup Playoffs that he kept his eyes on Lightning forward Anthony Cirelli, who moved through the CHL as a Memorial Cup champion with the Oshawa Generals and shares in common: undrafted walk-on as a CHL player, prodigious numbers as a forward, and a style of play relying on unrelenting work ethic, intelligence. Goncalves’ reputation for his heavy shot and one-timer don’t hurt either.

“It just kind of show if you put your mind to something and keep working, and you love that much, you’ll get there one day,” said Goncalves. “You’ve just got to keep trusting the process, don’t look too far ahead because it may spoil things, but keep your head down, keep chugging away.”

Last edited:

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
He continues to produce in the A. People tell me his defensive game isn't good enough, but I'm tired of watching Barre Boulet and Sheary do nothing, would rather see Goncalves get a shot. I think he's better than Fortier when Fortier got his callup. If Gage fails like Fortier did, at least you gave him a shot. Unless GG is getting packaged in a trade for a defenseman, hopefully he's getting some games in the league relatively soon.

Reactions: Tampa22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad