Prospect Info: Jan Mysak

Status
Not open for further replies.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Been watching more and more footage on this kid. He's a steal. Lots of kids put up nice goal/point totals making plays that would never fly in the NHL. What I love about Mysak's game is that he makes the obvious/smart play, and with zero hesitation. His attack is very quick, intentional and direct. I think this is where people get the idea about his tunnel vision, but I honestly see his simple playing style as a huge asset that will translate well.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Been watching more and more footage on this kid. He's a steal. Lots of kids put up nice goal/point totals making plays that would never fly in the NHL. What I love about Mysak's game is that he makes the obvious/smart play, and with zero hesitation. His attack is very quick, intentional and direct. I think this is where people get the idea about his tunnel vision, but I honestly see his simple playing style as a huge asset that will translate well.

You sure?

I mean, I can see it if he is 5'11 and a half.. but if he's 5'10 and a half? No shot.

Reactions: David Suzuki

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

If he DOES have tunnel vision, which he doesnt, he cant be worse than THE tunnel vision KING in brendan gallagher who just signed a 6 year 35 million dollar contract.. if it didnt keep gallagher from the NHL, it wont keep this kid...who again, doesnt even come close to tunnel vision lol

Reactions: Dutronc

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If he DOES have tunnel vision, which he doesnt, he cant be worse than THE tunnel vision KING in brendan gallagher who just signed a 6 year 35 million dollar contract.. if it didnt keep gallagher from the NHL, it wont keep this kid...who again, doesnt even come close to tunnel vision lol
He doesn't have tunnel vision, in fact, he has a severe case of having too much vision, sometimes narrowing it down a bit would be great.

Reactions: Redux91

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Rob Ramage just said that Mysak will sit down with Plekanec over the next few days and Tomas will help the kid with anything from how to be a pro, the NHL, and more particularly, the Habs.

Well it can only help. I think if he can make solid gains in his skating he could be a real threat.

I don’t have an intimate enough knowledge of the game to judge skating but the top speed seems to be just fine. If he wants it bad enough then likely he puts in the work to improve those first few steps or whatever mechanics he needs to work on.

I just hope his hands and shot are good enough to translate to the pros where he can be an impact player.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
A good read on Mysak:

Why Jan Mysak was a steal at 48th overall

Loved this part in particular:

"When I played against Canada in the World Juniors, they beat us 7-2," said Mysak, "I saw the players playing in the OHL, WHL and QMJHL, and I thought it would be a good step for me. Because my dream is to play in the NHL. It was a good step and a good decision."

On top of the skills mentioned here, he's got a great head on his shoulders. It's refreshing to read.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Rob Ramage said to the Athletic that Mysak will be meeting with Plekanec very soon to pick his brain. As long as Plekanec doesn't give him any shooting tips, you couldn't ask for a better mentor.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
A good read on Mysak:

"When I played against Canada in the World Juniors, they beat us 7-2," said Mysak, "I saw the players playing in the OHL, WHL and QMJHL, and I thought it would be a good step for me. Because my dream is to play in the NHL. It was a good step and a good decision."

On top of the skills mentioned here, he's got a great head on his shoulders. It's refreshing to read.

I like to hear how willing he is to get better. That's huge. He's got plenty of skill. If he can really improve the skating, he could be dynamite.

Reactions: Redux91 and Doc5

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Nice move. Perfect model for him. Plekanec was always a true professional.

Plekanec was a very good player. I think unfortunately, he is more remembered for the tail end of his career right now.

I saw someone mention earlier that they hope he doesn't get shooting tips from plekanec. I know this is probably said tongue in cheek in some part, but this is a guy who scored 20-30 goals 6 times in his career, and that pretty darn good good for a guy who was more than someone who could put the puck in the net.

As far as professionalism goes, yeah, I don't think you can find a better role model. Pleakenc was well known as one those "first guy at the rink" type of guys.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Plekanec was a very good player. I think unfortunately, he is more remembered for the tail end of his career right now.

I saw someone mention earlier that they hope he doesn't get shooting tips from plekanec. I know this is probably said tongue in cheek in some part, but this is a guy who scored 20-30 goals 6 times in his career, and that pretty darn good good for a guy who wasn't defined for his goal scoring.

yeah he had a damn fine shot. Just soon after that 70 pt season, he forgot how to pass. It was truly bizarre because he was actually a damn fine passer for a spell there.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
yeah he had a damn fine shot. Just soon after that 70 pt season, he forgot how to pass. It was truly bizarre because he was actually a damn fine passer for a spell there.

Overall, he was a very understated player. When James Wisniewski came over, he commented about how good plekanec was without the interviewer even bringing him up.

He also bashed him for his turtleneck, basically saying it was giving motivation to other teams to beat the Habs... But that's a whole other story lol.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
A good read on Mysak:

You're right, what a great read that was thanks

Another noteworthy quote for me was the one immediately after yours lol :
And though his time in North America was cut short, Staios believes Mysak's short tenure in Hamilton played directly into the Canadiens' hands.
"I don't think a lot of people got to see enough of him in Hamilton," said Staios. "And if I'm being honest, I think that worked to the benefit of the Montreal Canadiens, getting him where they did.
"He had just hit his stride. He was ready to explode onto the scene at that point."

Reactions: Doc5

Gyfu

May 16, 2011

I saw someone mention earlier that they hope he doesn't get shooting tips from plekanec. I know this is probably said tongue in cheek in some part, but this is a guy who scored 20-30 goals 6 times in his career, and that pretty darn good good for a guy who was more than someone who could put the puck in the net.

As far as professionalism goes, yeah, I don't think you can find a better role model. Pleakenc was well known as one those "first guy at the rink" type of guys.
... I think it's 7 seasons altogether actually (+14 in 47 in 2014, he would've scored 6 goals in 35 games easily, he was in his prime no question he had another 20goal season in an 82 games calendar)... People tend to forget, not saying Pleky was a star player in the nhl at any point but he was much better than the average nhler for a very long time (easily top6 for half his career)... He was never a sniper in the 1st place (perfect 2way top6er on any nhl team), again, 7 × 20+goal seasons is a pretty solid achievement in itself, add 1000+ games to that... Idk that Mysak couldn't get some pointers from Plekanec in any part/phase/skill in the game... Pleky deserves better appreciation from people, he wasn't perfect but what a player he's been for us... Great "humble" carrer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad