Prospect Info: Luke Tuch

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
McGuire: Like the Guhle pick for Canadiens
Pierre McGuire said Luke Tuch is a tremendous pick. I coached them...I coached against them ...he’s a very good player4:45

Pierre has been singing the praises of Luke Tuch on his TSN690 daily segments for the past couple of years it seems like. He's also very high on Struble who he called a nasty piece of business to play against on the ice which is stuff I like to hear. I hope he's right on both players.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Didnt people hate the Tom Wilson pick, calling it a low upside pick?

Yes it was. And then you are paired with Ovechkin and the rest is history. But most of those types of picks, the big guys that hits and fights....were all duds or should have been picked after quite a few guys.

What helps Wilson case also is how bad the 2012 draft finally was. Nail Yakupov is still, to this day, the 19th best scorer of that draft.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I’m not listening to David St-Louis based exclusively on his cow lick hairdo :eek:
You should. His systems analysis are generally excellent. Probably the deepest stuff to read on the Habs out there. He's starting to cover the prospects more extensively, which is good.

He's also a guy who never gives off a vibe like he's trying to be the smartest guy in the room. On the contrary, you can often sense a "perhaps I'm wrong on this" undertone.

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
Regarding Mete. 5'8 Dman who can't find the net and gets battered in his own zone into oblivion. You can't feed him the puck in the defensive zone, because its too easy to get him away from it. So they have one play with Mete, he has to zip it out of the zone quick as he can, because he can't skate it out either.

This isn't a thread about Mete, so I'll keep it short, but that's his biggest skillset, so I think you might be confusing him with another player, and yes he doesn't do too good against the cycle but he's good at preventing its installation.

Back on the topic of the thread, Tuch...I'm more than willing to give him a chance. If he has a good season, it will be interesting to see if people will see him as something else than a big body; I often think bigger players are always considered safe picks, but they can boom just as easily as a 5'9 players...and bust just as hard. The one thing that I dislike about the pick is that there seems to be very little discussion on him, unlike some others :huh:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We didn't once again have a 2nd.

With no 2nd, it's a really good draft if you hit on your lottery pick.

People that think every draft you're going to get 1 great NHLer and another NHLer are out to lunch. Look at all the bad picks around Sergachev until you get to MacAvoy.

We'll see how your Mete prediction turns out in 5 years. Way too early imo.

But on average you do need almost one top player and one bottom NHL player from each draft, or else a team cannot sustain itself. Free Agency can add a few guys but thats about it, since you overpay for them.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Right, but to put it in perspective, I believe these were his coach or a out who recruited him years ago. There is definitely a connection.
Well Peanuts (P McGuire is not, and he said same things.) I also caught tail end of someone on tsn radio toronto saying he might be steal od 2nd round but no clue who it was who said it
Many have gone out of their way to talk about his talent as well as his style of play and to me that is a huge positive.
In general, for a player picked where he was, the people discussing are not that many.
in fact the last time i remember a 2nd round pick being praised like that ( not from habs but others ) just after the draft, it was PK

Last edited:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
another good ref for the kid

« Je pense que Montréal a réalisé un vol »

its one thing for the organization to talk them up, but this kid is being talked up as the steal by many not linked experts.

Nice. I really like the fact that he's taken a leadership role and a Benn-like approach to his game, it contrasts with the Greenway story there leeching off Matthews & Co.

If his shooting mechanics improve he could be a very useful addition to our middle six lines in ~2023-24 after Byron's contract expires. Gives him 3 years. :)

Reactions: tazsub3

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#O’Connell(Boston University Head Coach):Tuch

BU Today: Trio of Terriers Selected in 2020 NHL Draft
“He skates well and he’s tough and he’s physical.”
“He’s got the ability to make an impact on the score sheet and physicality-wise.”

WTBU: Men’s Hockey: Three Terriers selected at NHL Draft
“Tuch is, physically, pretty advanced for his age..”
“He arrives at puck battles and to the net with anger.
“He’s got a terrific shot, too.”
“He’s got a chance to bring a heavy game to our team.”

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Well Peanuts (P McGuire is not, and he said same things.) I also caught tail end of someone on tsn radio toronto saying he might be steal od 2nd round but no clue who it was who said it
Many have gone out of their way to talk about his talent as well as his style of play and to me that is a huge positive.
In general, for a player picked where he was, the people discussing are not that many.
in fact the last time i remember a 2nd round pick being praised like that ( not from habs but others ) just after the draft, it was PK

Agreed. I am optimistic for the pick. I just wanted to add some context to put things in perspective.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
"Tuckie" is a rap fan, loves to hammer guys down while on the forecheck, and started skating when he was 21 months old on the rink his dad built in their backyard. He tries to model his game around Matt Tkachuk's. "I'm a completely different player than Alex (...) I have a winning mentality. It's all about winning. That's what I bring to the table", he says.

Pre-draft interview by Vancouver locals.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
One thing that makes me optimistic about the pick is that a lot of people didn't like it lol. That's been a good sign the last couple years lol. Except there was more than enough people who did like this pick when it happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad