Prospect Info: [2020 - 47th ] Luke Tuch (NCAA - Boston University)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was expecting a McCarron type who runs around trying to crush people but aside from the first few games and some big hits here and there, he's been much more about the offense as he's shown some solid hands. That goal today was sick for a guy that goes to the net so hard and seems to enjoy taking the body. From not knowing anything about him before the draft, he's been a real nice surprise.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Pierre McGuire said the Habs needed to draft Strubble and Tuch... they actually did it... and they both look good! Who would have thought?!
He also said way way before the 2018 draft that Tkachuk is the guy he’d draft

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I was expecting a McCarron type who runs around trying to crush people but aside from the first few games and some big hits here and there, he's been much more about the offense as he's shown some solid hands. That goal today was sick for a guy that goes to the net so hard and seems to enjoy taking the body. From not knowing anything about him before the draft, he's been a real nice surprise.
I watched him play for two years with the US NTDP (have season tickets), and I didn't expect him to be this promising.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

He actually has a way better shot and better offensive IQ than I thought.

Reactions: Redux91

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Hope he does three years at BU, wait till he fills out and matures. Albie O'Connel is a good coach and worked with some great talent there. Interested to follow his development

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think he lives in the New England area, so he usually hypes prospects from the area.

He mentioned that Tuch played minor hockey with his son so he’s seen him develop first hand.

But it’s true he loves young American players.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
If I recall correctly, players like Matt Boldy and Alex Newhook started out pretty slowly last season in HE, then broke in the second half of the year. Not sure if Tuch will have the same opportunity, but I think those two were similar point wise at this stage of their freshman year.

Reactions: canucklover123

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
If I recall correctly, players like Matt Boldy and Alex Newhook started out pretty slowly last season in HE, then broke in the second half of the year. Not sure if Tuch will have the same opportunity, but I think those two were similar point wise at this stage of their freshman year.

Boldy especially was slow but picked it up near the end of freshmen season, was absolutely on fire by the end. HE is definitely tough on 18/19 YE, but these kids end up excelling in their sophomore and junior years. Kieffer Belows is another one that struggled freshmen year, however he left to the WHL after. I really hope he develops in similar fashion to Jordan Greenway

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Boldy especially was slow but picked it up near the end of freshmen season, was absolutely on fire by the end. HE is definitely tough on 18/19 YE, but these kids end up excelling in their sophomore and junior years. Kieffer Belows is another one that struggled freshmen year, however he left to the WHL after. I really hope he develops in similar fashion to Jordan Greenway
I looked it up, Newhook had just 2 points in his first 7 games, but then had 10 points in his next 8, so he's slightly ahead of Tuch at this point. Boldy otoh had only 2 points in his first 14 games, so Tuch is well ahead there. Also, I think Struble went pointless in his first 10 games or so, then was a PPG after that.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I looked it up, Newhook had just 2 points in his first 7 games, but then had 10 points in his next 8, so he's slightly ahead of Tuch at this point. Boldy otoh had only 2 points in his first 14 games, so Tuch is well ahead there. Also, I think Struble went pointless in his first 10 games or so, then was a PPG after that.
Yup I’ve been following a couple HE teams, coach also giving him a ton of looks. He wasn’t too far from PPG as freshmen. He’s also not playing with some of the elite guys as BU wasn’t a force this year as BC was last year. Gunna be fun to follow

Reactions: dralaf

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Yup I’ve been following a couple HE teams, coach also giving him a ton of looks. He wasn’t too far from PPG as freshmen. He’s also not playing with some of the elite guys as BU wasn’t a force this year as BC was last year. Gunna be fun to follow
Zegras had 4g 9a to this point of the season with BU a year ago. But he was listed at 6-0, 169 lbs, on their roster, while Tuch is listed at 6-3, 207, so you'd expect him to take longer to catch up, skill wise.

Best comp though is to Tkachuk at BU in 2017-2018. Brady didn't score his first NCAA goal until his 14th game, he had 8 assists to that point. Also he was listed at 6-3, 197, on their roster, same height as Luke and 10 pounds lighter :)

Last edited:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Zegras had 4g 9a to this point of the season with BU a year ago. But he was listed at 6-0, 169 lbs, on their roster, while Tuch is listed at 6-3, 207, so you'd expect him to take longer to catch up, skill wise.

Best comp though is to Tkachuk at BU in 2017-2018. Brady didn't score his first NCAA goal until his 14th game, he had 8 assists to that point. Also he was listed at 6-3, 197, on their roster, same height as Luke and 10 pounds lighter :)
So you think Tuch is going to be something like Tkachuk? That's a reach.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
So you think Tuch is going to be something like Tkachuk? That's a reach.
I have no idea, but the fact that he started his NCAA career in slightly more prolific fashion, while being slightly larger is a good sign. Luke is 5 months older than Brady was at the same point in his career fwtw. Both following the same path, and both scored about the same ratio of their team's points with the U17 and U18.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Seasons over bud, lol

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I have no idea, but the fact that he started his NCAA career in slightly more prolific fashion, while being slightly larger is a good sign. Luke is 5 months older than Brady was at the same point in his career fwtw. Both following the same path, and both scored about the same ratio of their team's points with the U17 and U18.

i think literally watched Brady play every single game of his one year at BU, never in my life would I have assumed he would have the career he does. Mind you he was a “young” freshmen and played college before his draft unlike Tuch. I guess that’s why you draft on potential just as much as skill set. I’m excited for Tuch, I reallr hope he becomes a Greenway

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
i think literally watched Brady play every single game of his one year at BU, never in my life would I have assumed he would have the career he does. Mind you he was a “young” freshmen and played college before his draft unlike Tuch. I guess that’s why you draft on potential just as much as skill set. I’m excited for Tuch, I reallr hope he becomes a Greenway
Greenway might be a reasonable expectation. Tuch doesn't have the freakish size, but probably a better skater with a better shot at comparable stage. Greenway had 5 goals in 30 odd games as a frosh at BU. He seems to be putting it together this year at the NHL level. Takes bigger players longer to max out.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Greenway might be a reasonable expectation. Tuch doesn't have the freakish size, but probably a better skater with a better shot at comparable stage. Greenway had 5 goals in 30 odd games as a frosh at BU. He seems to be putting it together this year at the NHL level. Takes bigger players longer to max out.

Hopefully that will be the case with Poehling.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Does he have the asshole Tkachuk Gene?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->