Prospect Info: [2020 - 47th ] Luke Tuch (NCAA - Boston University)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
"Tuckie" is a rap fan, loves to hammer guys down while on the forecheck, and started skating when he was 21 months old on the rink his dad built in their backyard. He tries to model his game around Matt Tkachuk's. "I'm a completely different player than Alex (...) I have a winning mentality. It's all about winning. That's what I bring to the table", he says.

Pre-draft interview by Vancouver locals.

Matthew Tkuchuk with less skill is what I see him becoming so it’s interesting he sees himself as the same mold.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just watched a game of his vs a USHL team (Dobes) last night from early in last season. He had 3 pts, his only 3 pt game of the season so of course he looked good and was the 1st star of the game. He also had a nice hit, i'll see if I can upload some clips but hockey.tv is funny about that so not sure I can.

One interesting thing I saw was during 4 on 4s they had him at center taking the FO. He would be a nasty piece of business down the middle, not saying they would even consider it just thought in a extremely small sample size he looked the part.

I liked the skating and mobility, hard to project his offense since the U-18 class for the USNDTP was a weak one. The fact that he's at BU says a lot though since they are a top 10 program in NCAA history.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
just watched a game of his vs a USHL team (Dobes) last night from early in last season. He had 3 pts, his only 3 pt game of the season so of course he looked good and was the 1st star of the game. He also had a nice hit, i'll see if I can upload some clips but hockey.tv is funny about that so not sure I can.

One interesting thing I saw was during 4 on 4s they had him at center taking the FO. He would be a nasty piece of business down the middle, not saying they would even consider it just thought in a extremely small sample size he looked the part.

I liked the skating and mobility, hard to project his offense since the U-18 class for the USNDTP was a weak one. The fact that he's at BU says a lot though since they are a top 10 program in NCAA history.

Fyi, if you have windows 10, it's easy to capture video from your screen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/helpde.../how-to-record-your-screen-on-windows-10/amp/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Reactions: 26Mats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i've just got done watching Tuch's season opener in the USHL this past season, so now have seen his first 2 games of the season. He got off to a great start with 5 pts in those first 2 games then had 25 in the next 45.

I don't want to say too much yet as I'll get a better feel for him once the Hockey East starts up, I assume he's what they hoped McCarron would be though so far in the little i've seen he's not been very physical at all. The good news is he shouldn't have much problem making the NHL as a 4th liner at worst since he has NHL size, strength already to go with the skating McCarron wish he had at 18. I just don't know yet about the offense, he was 4th on the team so that says more to me then the numbers and in these 2 games he's been paired up with the best player on the team so that also says something.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just got done watching Tuch's 3rd game of this past season vs Sioux City which happened to be Biondi's team.

Tuch had 2 assists, not sure what happened to him as the season went on but what a start to the year with 7 pts in the first 3 games. Though I can't say I'm overly impressed with the offense he's shown but he's getting PP time and is always around the net so clearly not shy from the heavy traffic areas. He got a penalty for going to the net too hard, it should have been called goalie interference but was called slashing.

He and Biondi mixed it up with some solid hits, first Biondi got Tuch and later Tuch got Biondi good into the boards in the 3rd.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He is the one Im the most excited about to watch, seems to play alot like a young Lucic...
Nope - saw a lot of him last fall, much better on ice IQ and defensively sound...more in the mold of the Tkachuk bros....not saying he’ll be as good, but his game more resembles theirs. Tuck needs development time - a couple of NCAA seasons to fill out that frame and like KK allow the player inside to align with the body.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
When is the last time we picked a powerforward with skills?

Can’t wait to follow his developement!

In a recent podcast, Tuch was asked what he would change in today’s game and he answered having more fights, old school style. The guy is legit.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
When is the last time we picked a powerforward with skills?

Can’t wait to follow his developement!

In a recent podcast, Tuch was asked what he would change in today’s game and he answered having more fights, old school style. The guy is legit.
corson clearly, maybe a little john leclair though was not seen as the tough dude, just big with skill

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yup - in fact most intriguing big bodied forward prospect since Corson IMO

Terry Ryan, Kyle Chipchura, Max Pacioretty, John LeClair and even Eric Chouinard were far more intriguing picks at the time of their draft. Tuch isn't any more intriguing then McCarron was, let's just hope he turns out better. I like the pick so don't read into this as a negative take just trying to counter balance the hyperbole.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Terry Ryan, Kyle Chipchura, Max Pacioretty, John LeClair and even Eric Chouinard were far more intriguing picks at the time of their draft. Tuch isn't any more intriguing then McCarron was, let's just hope he turns out better. I like the pick so don't read into this as a negative take just trying to counter balance the hyperbole.
How was Terry Ryan more intriguing? The fact that Serge Savard and Carol Vandnais saw him in the elevator with them at the draft and thought he was Shane Doan?

There’s no hyperbole from my standpoint, I never talk prospects before any draft, because I simply don’t follow that stuff. The only three I’ve ever spoken of (and wanted Habs to draft) are Quinn Hughes, Jay O’Brien and now Luke Tuch because I watched them play lots of prep schools games here in CT & MA.

Tuch’s going to be a very solid NHLer with yet to be established upwards potential. I’ll stick with my statement, the most intriguing big bodied prospect drafted by the Habs since Corson picked 8th overall back in 1984.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
How was Terry Ryan more intriguing? The fact that Serge Savard and Carol Vandnais saw him in the elevator with them at the draft and thought he was Shane Doan?

There’s no hyperbole from my standpoint, I never talk prospects before any draft, because I simply don’t follow that stuff. The only three I’ve ever spoken of (and wanted Habs to draft) are Quinn Hughes, Jay O’Brien and now Luke Tuch because I watched them play lots of prep schools games here in CT & MA.

Tuch’s going to be a very solid NHLer with yet to be established upwards potential. I’ll stick with my statement, the most intriguing big bodied prospect drafted by the Habs since Corson picked 8th overall back in 1984.

You admit that you don't pay attention to pre draft prospects yet claim that calling Tuch the best big bodied Montreal prospect since Corson is not hyperbole?

Your Terry Ryan story is cute but entirely irrelevant. He was a consensus top 10 prospect at the time and there was a ton of hype around him from this fanbase from the time he was drafted until his Montreal debut. There is very little hype about Tuch as he is more of a curiosity that most of us are trying to envision the best case scenario for. He has not proven as of yet to be an offensive force among his peers like Ryan had at the time of his draft.

Like I said, I am happy with the pick but your enthusiasm is not based on evidence and the level of your enthusiasm far exceeds the facts at hand........that is definitively hyperbolic.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I like that certain people are super high on him. That's whats intriguing to me.

The little bit of highlights I seen left me kind of meh but I know highlights aren't everything. The more I watched Mysak's the more I saw promise so maybe I need to watch more.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Most intriguing prospect drafted by the Habs in recent years.

A young Josh Anderson in the making? If he works as hard as Josh did in development years after the draft? It's nice to finally see a light at the end of the tunnel in terms of the Habs adding some big boys that skate well.

Not sure how our current roster does with the 3 years Weber has left (and Price sill at the top of his game) but even if we fall flat on our face... We are well positioned for the future if we have another reset/retool and sell on some players in 3+ years time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->