Prospect Info: 2020 3rd Rd Selection - #64 OA (via OTT) - RD Topi Niemela (Karpat) - 6'0 163

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I liked this pick and was luke warm on the Hirvonen pick.

So far, Niemela has been good and Hirvonen I think has been snake bitten but making good plays.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
If Niemela outplays Schneider who many had the Leafs selecting in their draft mocks that would be a win.

That only works if Amirov outplays Schneider or Mercer. So far I’m not sold on Amirov. Seems to lack drive in this tournament.

Neimela was expected to be a high second round pick on draft day. His slide to round 3 was inexplicable. Right now he looks like a possible top four D.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
For those that have watched him more, how good is this kid?
In 4 out of the 5 games so far this tournament (including the exhibition) he has been arguably the second-best Finnish player behind Lundell. Today he was bad. The whole team was bad. Had flashes of great plays sprinkled throughout the game though, but overall not a good game. Playing yesterday really did Finland in especially with how tenacious Canada was.

Reactions: Erndog

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
For those that have watched him more, how good is this kid?

Very good.

Great skater in all 4 directions. Fantastic in transition, great neutral zone defense. I think the production in the WJC is a bit of a mirage, but it's not like he's unable to play in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Erndog

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
In 4 out of the 5 games so far this tournament (including the exhibition) he has been arguably the second-best Finnish player behind Lundell. Today he was bad. The whole team was bad. Had flashes of great plays sprinkled throughout the game though, but overall not a good game. Playing yesterday really did Finland in especially with how tenacious Canada was.

He wasn’t as good as he has been but he was Finland’s best skater. No doubt about that.

The entire Finnish team was gassed and couldn’t compete physically.

Niemela in my mind has been the smartest player in this tournament. If he can get stronger he’ll be a top pairing D man.

Strong echoes of Rasmus Sandin.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
He wasn’t as good as he has been but he was Finland’s best skater. No doubt about that.

The entire Finnish team was gassed and couldn’t compete physically.

Niemela in my mind has been the smartest player in this tournament. If he can get stronger he’ll be a top pairing D man.

Strong echoes of Rasmus Sandin.
I agree. The kid looks like a great prospect. I’m excited to have him in the stable.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Niemela has been tremendous, a truly eye opening tournament for me. I've watched bits and pieces of him before, but he is truly a great prospect amongst his peers. I think we may be going back to back with the WJC best defenceman award.

I was surprised to get him in the early 3rd round at the time, I thought he could go as early as the very late 1st and as it appears, rightfully so.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
That only works if Amirov outplays Schneider or Mercer. So far I’m not sold on Amirov. Seems to lack drive in this tournament.

Neimela was expected to be a high second round pick on draft day. His slide to round 3 was inexplicable. Right now he looks like a possible top four D.
As has happened.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
He's played excellent against bad competition in Germany, Switzerland and Slovakia, which is still promosing. Looked more like a 3rd round pick playing against 1st round picks in the Canada game, as you'd expect. His team was simply overmatched. I'll be watching him closely throughout the playoff round to see what he looks like against some of the better talent not named Team Canada.

Nice player overall. Good transitions. Calm with the puck in his own end. Quality breakouts and zone entries. At 5'11-6'0, 160-165lbs he's not tiny, but he's not big either. Really skinny kid right now and will likely still struggle some physically when he adds 25lbs and plays up around 190lbs.

Could he be a Tobias Enstrom? How about a less physical version of a guy lot of people wanted this off season in Mack Weegar?

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
If everything goes completely right, I see Klingberg in him.....what a promising pick.

That would awesome, but I'm not near ready to predict that yet... Klingberg has about 3.5-4 inches in height on Niemela and 25+lbs right now. It's really hard to project a player of that quality when they have that much physical ground to make up. I guess we'll see 10 years from now when he's Klingberg's age.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
He's played excellent against bad competition in Germany, Switzerland and Slovakia, which is still promosing. Looked more like a 3rd round pick playing against 1st round picks in the Canada game, as you'd expect. His team was simply overmatched. I'll be watching him closely throughout the playoff round to see what he looks like against some of the better talent not named Team Canada.

Nice player overall. Good transitions. Calm with the puck in his own end. Quality breakouts and zone entries. At 5'11-6'0, 160-165lbs he's not tiny, but he's not big either. Really skinny kid right now and will likely still struggle some physically when he adds 25lbs and plays up around 190lbs.

Could he be a Tobias Enstrom? How about a less physical version of a guy lot of people wanted this off season in Mack Weegar?
Even with his slight frame, he is solid on his feet. He throws the odd big hit.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Finns got steamrolled last night and Niemela still looked half decent... That's hard to do as a defensemen in a game like that.

Certainly puts some context that he took advantage of softer match ups in the earlier games, but that's what good players do.

Can't fall into the trap of the WJC sample size though. While it's encouraging to see him do well, it's not a make or break situation.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
WJC hasn't change my opinion on other Leafs prospects...except Niemala. His improvement on the offensive end has been incredible, on top of his already solid defensive acumen. If this is his growth trajectory, I have a hard time limiting his ceiling.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Even with his slight frame, he is solid on his feet. He throws the odd big hit.

He's certainly game. Doesn't play small or anything like that. When you're as thin as he is though, I have to see you really get stronger before I'll be convinced that you'll be anything other than enough Leaf defender who struggles below the goal line in his own end. It's one thing to be able play at the world juniors at 165lbs. It's a different thing all together when those 6'0, 200+lb types (Crosby, Mackinnon, etc) stick their ass into you on the end boards, or the side wall and just beast you for the puck... Obviously Niemela has a long way to go before he's facing guys like that, and he'll certainly get bigger and stronger, but that's the part of the game that I have to see him excel at before I'm ready to be as excited about him as some are on this board.

As it is Toronto has too many guys in the their system that struggle against the forecheck in their own end and are exposed by the cycle. When I watch a guy like Bowen Byram absorb contact in his own end and effortlessly make a calm, patient pass, post contact, I think "that's what I'm looking for". That said, he's 6'1, 205lbs right now. That's a completely different world than Niemela is in physically at this point in their careers. It's also a huge part of the reason that Byram went #4 overall in the Draft, while Niemela slipped to the 3rd round.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That would awesome, but I'm not near ready to predict that yet... Klingberg has about 3.5-4 inches in height on Niemela and 25+lbs right now. It's really hard to project a player of that quality when they have that much physical ground to make up. I guess we'll see 10 years from now when he's Klingberg's age.

Klingberg's height ranges so much :laugh:

EP has him at 6'1", 176. NHL has him 6'3", 190. Hockey Reference has him 6'2", 180.

He was a similar size as Niemela when he was drafted though. I doubt Niemela hits 6'3", but he should be over 6'0" and will likely weigh similar to Klingberg when he hits the NHL.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
The kid not only led defensemen in points, he led Finland as well. I think he'll end up winning defensemen of the tournament honours.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The kid not only led defensemen in points, he led Finland as well. I think he'll end up winning defensemen of the tournament honours.
He might deserve to but he isn't getting the hype as even the best defensemen on his team right now. Hope I'm wrong but feel like it will go to someone else...especially if the Finns lose tomorrow.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

EP has him at 6'1", 176. NHL has him 6'3", 190. Hockey Reference has him 6'2", 180.

He was a similar size as Niemela when he was drafted though. I doubt Niemela hits 6'3", but he should be over 6'0" and will likely weigh similar to Klingberg when he hits the NHL.

His dad seemed to top out at 5’11 180lbs. Height is a negative imo if you don’t pack on and use the extra weight lots of people assume come with it. Would prefer a 5’11 180lb player over a 6’3 180lb player.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

I'd be interested to see what this year's crop actual measurements are now seeing as all the info out there is outdated due to there being no scouting combine. We already know from Amirov's agent that he is 6'1 , 185 lbs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad