Waived: 2020-21 Waivers Thread

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
AHL goalie currently not on an NHL deal . This seems for the purpose of signing him to an NHL deal ? Do the Isles have hurt goalies and need to sign their AHL goalie or something ?

Our AHL beat writer assumes so.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
AHL goalie currently not on an NHL deal . This seems for the purpose of signing him to an NHL deal ? Do the Isles have hurt goalies and need to sign their AHL goalie or something ?

Isles likely signed him for goalie insurance/taxi squad stuff.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
What’s the report on Riikola? Looks like he might be a decent defender. Cap hit is only $25k above the buriable amount. Wonder if someone claims him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Riikola probably gets claimed, but even if he doesn't, I bet he quickly gets traded after clearing.

He's overrated by Penguins fans, but he at least has an interesting skill set. Good skills but it hasn't translated into particularly great results outside of when he has been dummy sheltered.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I think Riikola probably gets claimed, but even if he doesn't, I bet he quickly gets traded after clearing.

He's overrated by Penguins fans, but he at least has an interesting skill set. Good skills but it hasn't translated into particularly great results outside of when he has been dummy sheltered.
I'm not sure "better than Marcus Pettersson" is quite the superlative you think it is.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
What’s the report on Riikola? Looks like he might be a decent defender. Cap hit is only $25k above the buriable amount. Wonder if someone claims him.
He hasn’t gotten much of a chance with the Pens. He’s looked good whenever he’s played. Unfortunately for the Pens and for Riikola’s NHL career, one of the last parting gifts of Jim Rutherford was to trade Patric Hornqvist for Mike Matheson. So, that knocked Riikola down to 4th LD on the depth chart. He might have played some early in the season when Pit was experiencing many D injuries, but a rookie, P.O. Joseph claim that playing time. He’s signed for next year too at $1.015M, so I don’t know if that makes him more or less desirable. Not sure if Minn needs a D, but Guerin might like him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He hasn’t gotten much of a chance with the Pens. He’s looked good whenever he’s played. Unfortunately for the Pens and for Riikola’s NHL career, one of the last parting gifts of Jim Rutherford was to trade Patric Hornqvist for Mike Matheson. So, that knocked Riikola down to 4th LD on the depth chart. He might have played some early in the season when Pit was experiencing many D injuries, but a rookie, P.O. Joseph claim that playing time. He’s signed for next year too at $1.015M, so I don’t know if that makes him more or less desirable. Not sure if Minn needs a D, but Guerin might like him.

Riikola was injured at the same time as all the other LD. That was his time to stake a claim and he got unlucky and missed it.

Also gotta imagine Guerin likes him as he was one of the people who scouted him.

Anyway, he's possibly a rather good puck moving bottom pairing dman, but there's not a huge sample and he saw pretty soft minutes. Probably worth a punt for a team low on talent to find out for free.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

TeeTee

Apr 20, 2016

I like him quite a bit. Big shot and can be a big hitter, too.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Gonna be interesting to see if Riiko gets picked up.I hope neither of them do so we can maintain them as depth for the playoffs while opening up cap space for the deadline, but Riiko deserves a shot.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Oops. Messed up. Mods can delete.

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-11_8-43-59.png
    upload_2021-4-11_8-43-59.png
    368.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad