Waived: 2020-21 Waivers Thread

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Pretty sure the Canes would be stoked to get rid of that contract; I wouldn't want that defensive liability for league minimum. Gardiner simply is not an NHL quality defenseman, never has been, and never will be.

While I don't agree with your assessment of Gardiner, I do agree the Canes would be happy if someone claimed him after acquiring Skjei and the emergence of Bean.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Ok, that's semantics. De Hann and Pesce finished the playoffs with shoulders that needed surgery. They were "medically cleared to play", but they were clearly injured.

Whatever though. You seem to want to press this point and I have no desire to further discuss the reality of the situation with you.
So, are you denying that the CBA does not allow for injured players to be waived ?

That was my only (but important) point.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So, are you denying that the CBA does not allow for injured players to be waived ?

That was my only (but important) point.

Injured players can be waived. Injured players cannot be loaned to the AHL(taxi) though.

If a team claims an injured player on waivers, after their doctors do a physical they can request that the claim be voided if they feel the injury is too severe, or undisclosed.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I stand by what I said. He was absolute garbage in Toronto and should have been sent down to the AHL until he learned how to play defense. If you're as terrible as Gardiner in your own zone, you don't belong in the NHL, and you'd better put in some work to justify a spot on a good AHL team. Just because Toronto chose to allow him to play like complete trash doesn't mean the way he plays is acceptable.

I think there are true measurements: 636 Regular Season NHL games, and 32 NHL playoff games makes you someone who belongs in the NHL. Your hatred doesn't change that. Not all NHLers are top tier players.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I think there are true measurements: 636 Regular Season NHL games, and 32 NHL playoff games makes you someone who belongs in the NHL. Your hatred doesn't change that. Not all NHLers are top tier players.
Just because Toronto choose to sabotage their team by letting a useless pylon waste ice time for years without holding him accountable for his unacceptable defense, doesn't mean be actually belonged in the NHL. Quality of play matters and Gardiner clearly makes his team worse every time he sets foot on the ice.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Can any Jackets fans comment on how Grigorenko has played? Whats the breakdown on his style on the ice?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
This seems to happen with a goalie or two every year. Should the league just have a higher waiver-excemption age for goalies?

I think it makes sense to extend the timeline for goalies the equivalent of a year/season.

I also think the NHLPA missed a real opportunity on this last CBA extension to shorten the RFA period to 5 years instead of 7. With <20 year olds coming in more and more ready, they needed to get the players more control sooner. 26 is almost past prime value for many of these players with regards to long term deals.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Vesey was making fans salivate 6 years ago. The Jimmy Vesey Sweepstakes were in full gear.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oilers to re-claim Forsberg ? Their #3 option right now are prospects who need playing time and Smith isn't exactly a model of clean health at his age.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
What's the record for most times being claimed on waivers in a season?

wait I have a guess. While my answer is not for claimed it might be for placed on. I say Keith Aucoin. In the 9 years from the 05-06 season to 13-14 he played all of his career 145 nhl games and split time with the AHL team at least once in all nine seasons . Just a guess. I remembered always just hearing his name enough to think wow he’s still hanging around.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Oilers to re-claim Forsberg ? Their #3 option right now are prospects who need playing time and Smith isn't exactly a model of clean health at his age.

They've got Stalock as their #3 now. He's almost done(or is done now?) his 14 day quarantine.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They've got Stalock as their #3 now. He's almost done(or is done now?) his 14 day quarantine.

Right forgot about that. Stalock is better than Forsberg anyway and have more NHL experience. Guess Forberg clears then ? Not sure who else needs a meh #3 goalie to play in NHL games right now if there's even anyone left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad