Waived: 2020-21 Waivers Thread

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Sceviour has been largely useless. Thought he’d be a silver lining to Matheson trade as a solid 4th liner, but nope.

Reactions: BHD

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sceviour has been largely useless. Thought he’d be a silver lining to Matheson trade as a solid 4th liner, but nope.

We were promised mini-Hornqvist and were disappointed. I would rather have any one of our WBS guys at nearly 1/2 the price.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Here's the link.

Not sure what to make of this move. Has he fallen that far that they want to move him to the taxi squad?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014

Here's the link.

Not sure what to make of this move. Has he fallen that far that they want to move him to the taxi squad?

No just a very unneeded signing to begin with. They have too many d-man who are as good or better than him that are cheaper. Jake’s ice time went down so has his production. Like, what did Carolina expect?

Reactions: Mike Jones

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Here's the link.

No just a very unneeded signing to begin with. They have too many d-man who are as good or better than him that are cheaper. Jake’s ice time went down so has his production. Like, what did Carolina expect?

He got hurt and know no one will claim him with 2 years left so they just want him to practice when he’s ready

It's a cap move while he can't play due to his back. A shame he got hurt as he was playing well this season and his skating looked like the Gardiner of old.

Bean on the roster and Gardiner on the taxi squad adds the daily equivalent of 212k in cap space.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Skjei was traded for after Gardiner didn't work out. The intent was to get a 2nd pairing defenseman on a cheap contract. It was praised on HF at the time. In hindsight, they should have just used Faulk as an own-rental to bridge them to Fleury or Bean. The gamble on his health didn't pan out.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I wonder if this is a weird cap circumvention type effort.

Yes. It definitely is. They want to put him on the taxi squad while he can’t play so it saves them cap hit. Also if they do try and trade him later, having him pass through waivers is an added bonus for the team acquiring him.

If anyone’s wondering, Gardiner actually played really well this year.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I wonder if this is a weird cap circumvention type effort.
I don’t think it’s circumvention. Teams have done paper transactions sending guys to the minors for years to save cap space, only to call them up later. Teams have buried contracts in the Ahl as well. This is no different. In this case, he’s going to the taxi squad and needs to be waived first, which is 100% legal. The Canes risk another team claiming him, although I think the chances are slim on that and don’t think the canes would be heartbroken if someone did.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I don’t think it’s circumvention. Teams have done paper transactions sending guys to the minors for years to save cap space, only to call them up later. Teams have buried contracts in the Ahl as well. This is no different. In this case, he’s going to the taxi squad and needs to be waived first, which is 100% legal. The Canes risk another team claiming him, although I think the chances are slim on that and don’t think the canes would be heartbroken if someone did.
Pretty sure the Canes would be stoked to get rid of that contract; I wouldn't want that defensive liability for league minimum. Gardiner simply is not an NHL quality defenseman, never has been, and never will be.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Pretty sure the Canes would be stoked to get rid of that contract; I wouldn't want that defensive liability for league minimum. Gardiner simply is not an NHL quality defenseman, never has been, and never will be.

Never has been?

That's a little strong. He's fallen off lately it's true.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Never has been?

That's a little strong. He's fallen off lately it's true.
I stand by what I said. He was absolute garbage in Toronto and should have been sent down to the AHL until he learned how to play defense. If you're as terrible as Gardiner in your own zone, you don't belong in the NHL, and you'd better put in some work to justify a spot on a good AHL team. Just because Toronto chose to allow him to play like complete trash doesn't mean the way he plays is acceptable.

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I stand by what I said. He was absolute garbage in Toronto and should have been sent down to the NHL until he learned how to play defense. If you're as terrible as Gardiner in your own zone, you don't belong in the NHL, and you'd better put in some work to justify a spot on a good AHL team. Just because Toronto chose to allow him to play like complete trash doesn't mean the way he plays is acceptable.

Where does this passion come from?

Holy Smokes.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It is cap circumvention. In a perfect world, it should cost them some draft pick(s) + a fine.

But who will complain ?

Gardiner ? Nah. He gets more money (no escrow).

Other GMs ? Nah. They might want to try the same trick in the future.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It is cap circumvention. In a perfect world, it should cost them some draft pick(s) + a fine.

But who will complain ?

Gardiner ? Nah. He gets more money (no escrow).

Other GMs ? Nah. They might want to try the same rick in the future.

No, it’s not. They are waiving a guy that anyone can claim. They can then send him down after waivers. No different than 100s of other guys waived and sent to the AHl every season, and taxi squad this season.

they aren’t skirting rules of the CBA, they are following it to a T.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
No, it’s not. They are waiving a guy that anyone can claim. They can then send him down after waivers. No different than 100s of other guys waived and sent to the AHl every season, and taxi squad this season.

they aren’t skirting rules of the CBA, they are following it to a T.
The CBA doesn't allow for an injured player to be waived...

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The CBA doesn't allow for an injured player to be waived...

The CBA does allow for an injured player to be waived. If an injured player has medical clearance to play, he can be waived. So for instance, if a player is hurt and is 70% effective in his play and it won't make his injury worse, he could be medically cleared to play but the team may still decide to sit him out since he's not 100%. Most NHLr's play with some level of injury throughout the season that doesn't keep them out of the game, but often times they aren't at 100%.

I don't know the details of Gardiner's injury, but he played a few games ago and wasn't 100% so he sat again. He's not on IR, so there is a chance he is "medically cleared" to play, but the pain keeps him from being 100% so he sits.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The CBA does allow for an injured player to be waived. If an injured player has medical clearance to play, he can be waived. So for instance, if a player is hurt and is 70% effective in his play and it won't make his injury worse, he could be medically cleared to play but the team may still decide to sit him out since he's not 100%. Most NHLr's play with some level of injury throughout the season that doesn't keep them out of the game, but often times they aren't at 100%.

I don't know the details of Gardiner's injury, but he played a few games ago and wasn't 100% so he sat again. He's not on IR, so there is a chance he is "medically cleared" to play, but the pain keeps him from being 100% so he sits.
If he has medical clearance to play, he's not "injured"...

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If he has medical clearance to play, he's not "injured"...

Ok, that's semantics. De Hann and Pesce finished the playoffs with shoulders that needed surgery. They were "medically cleared to play", but they were clearly injured.

Whatever though. You seem to want to press this point and I have no desire to further discuss the reality of the situation with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad