2020/21 UEFA Nations League

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Italy will be the hosts of the Final Four with Milan and Turin as the venues, the draw will be on December 3, interestingly all four teams are completely new compared to the last edition. There are also "playouts" to determine the two teams getting relegated to League D (Moldova vs. Kazakhstan and Estonia vs. Cyprus, two leg matches, losers of the tie relegate). There is still a question for one relegated team from League A, doesn't appear Switzerland-Ukraine will be made up, the match will likely be awarded to one of these teams, however there is some controversy, Ukraine was willing to play despite all their absences and had the 13 players required by UEFA while Swiss government forced the match to be cancelled, I fear politics will be involved with this especially with the nations involved

Anyway...

League A
Final Four: Italy, Belgium, France, Spain
Relegated to B: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Sweden, Switzerland/Ukraine

League B
Promoted to A: Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Wales
Relegated to C: Northern Ireland, Slovakia, Turkey, Bulgaria

League C
Promoted to B: Montenegro, Armenia, Albania, Slovenia
Relegated to D: Moldova/Kazakhstan, Estonia/Cyprus

League D
Promoted to C: Faroe Islands, Gibraltar

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Austria's talent pool is really interesting, but I feel like they are so unique that they'd need a club schedule for any coach to be able to make proper use of them. Laimer, Sabitzer & Alaba are three of the most unique players around and two of their top young talents are showing some excellent versatility this season; Baumgartner featuring for Hoffenheim as an attacker as well as as a wingback & Wolf getting in all across Gladbach's front 4.

If their young defenders & Demir came through that could be a really interesting club team.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Austria's talent pool is really interesting, but I feel like they are so unique that they'd need a club schedule for any coach to be able to make proper use of them. Laimer, Sabitzer & Alaba are three of the most unique players around and two of their top young talents are showing some excellent versatility this season; Baumgartner featuring for Hoffenheim as an attacker as well as as a wingback & Wolf getting in all across Gladbach's front 4.

If their young defenders & Demir came through that could be a really interesting club team.

Also, Austria only managed to be promoted due to covid-luck. Wasn't very impressed with them against Norway. They had a lucky game against Norway in Norway, and now Norway had to win 2-0, so kept on attacking on 1-0, making it 1-1.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Czechs end up winning the group, which is kind of crazy with effectively tossing a game against Scotland with a Covid "C" team.

Israel avoids relegation, which you can argue was the worst result, given that dropping a league would give them a great avenue for the Euros.
Czechs dropped 2 games to Scotland. 1st one being a C team and the second a B team for the most part.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Was looking for this thread since it really is the next chance we have to hopefully see some quality international football (Olympics excluded).

Really interested to see how these semis plays out now with what happened in the Euros. Italy-Spain again after that awesome game a few weeks ago and on the other side two teams who had a massively disappointing Euro.

I think the Euro results make these games better quality.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
This game is over. Before going down a man I was disappointed in Italy for going up against Alonso and Azpilcueta as full backs in a back 4 and never really challenging them. Not sure if an area of the field where Spain hasn’t been winning the battle.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
La Liga are a shambles at the moment, but here we are with Spain being 2-0 up away against the European champions.

With that said, the EPL-players did everything in the first half.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Or terrible goaltending. Never should be beaten on that Lukaku shot in that angle.
Carrasco goal is difference because Pavard sucked as usual.

I'd be fine with a loss, and hopefully a HUGE one. Like a 5-0 thrashing or something. Some things need to change and DD making minor changes isn't going to cut it in the next WC. This could be a wake up call, so yes please.
Bye bye to Pavard, Lucas and co. We have better options.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Neither team are playing very well, we've got plenty of possession but a lot of that is horizontal instead of vertical. Hazard still looks washed, Witsel has been nonchalant and Lukaku apart from his goal is having trouble with the ball again. However 2 goals on about 3 chances is pretty damn efficient and it could have easily been 3 because that Lloris save on KDB was world class.

France..I just don't understand the tactics, then again I almost never do with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad