Speculation: 2020-21 Stars Roster Speculation and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There’s just no defending this team’s drafting history. It’s been garbage for decades. That is not an exaggeration, find me a team who drafts worse in the 1st round over the last 20 years. Nill has continued this proud tradition with his awful drafting philosophy. I will give credit for the last 2 drafts, at least Harley and borque seem exciting as prospects. Unless Oettinger is elite, I’ll never be ok with a goalie in the 1st.

Considering how well the Stars 2nd rounder picked after Oettinger worked out this was fine. Not to mention a late 1st and a top 10 pick is just not the same. With where Oettinger was picked you usually get players of the caliber of Jason Dickinson. I like Dickie but might as well pick a drafts highest rated goalie instead of someone like him.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
There’s a few 1st round picks to choke on (missing on Barzal, Nichushkin becoming a top-9 not for us) but it’s definitely been better lately along with 2nd round and later picks looking positive compared to where it was a decade ago.

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
Little hypothesis game..

If you get to be hindsight GM for 1 pick in any draft since 2010, what pick would you change?

Name the player you would select with the pick youre changing and why that would be the change you would choose above others

Again, cant be too smart here as we get to pick proven players now.

Ill go 2014 draft. Change Honka (pick 14) for Pastrnak who went 11 picks later.

Thinking how close we came vs St louis 2 years ago and last year...Can only imagine what an all star scorer at wing could have done for us.

What would be your 1 change?

2012 draft Vasi instead of Faksa. He was amazing in the u20 and u18 on top of killing it during the season. Franchise defining pick.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
There’s just no defending this team’s drafting history. It’s been garbage for decades. That is not an exaggeration, find me a team who drafts worse in the 1st round over the last 20 years. Nill has continued this proud tradition with his awful drafting philosophy. I will give credit for the last 2 drafts, at least Harley and borque seem exciting as prospects. Unless Oettinger is elite, I’ll never be ok with a goalie in the 1st.

Are you denying the existence of His Holiness, Steve Ott, whom bled for us?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
2012 draft Vasi instead of Faksa. He was amazing in the u20 and u18 on top of killing it during the season. Franchise defining pick.

But Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo thought he had drafted in 2010 his franchise goalie in Stifler. He was going to pass on Vasi.

Reactions: Johno

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
There’s a few 1st round picks to choke on (missing on Barzal, Nichushkin becoming a top-9 not for us) but it’s definitely been better lately along with 2nd round and later picks looking positive compared to where it was a decade ago.
The worst was having your team go through bankruptcy and terrible seasons and getting nothing at all from it out of the draft. That kind of experience leaves mental scars fans still feel today, especially when we can look over at Pittsburgh who emerged from bankruptcy with multiple Hall of Famers and Cups to show for it.

P.S. I don't like using top 9 to talk about someone who is a third line checking winger.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
The worst was having your team go through bankruptcy and terrible seasons and getting nothing at all from it out of the draft. That kind of experience leaves mental scars fans still feel today, especially when we can look over at Pittsburgh who emerged from bankruptcy with multiple Hall of Famers and Cups to show for it.

P.S. I don't like using top 9 to talk about someone who is a third line checking winger.

I'd think drafting Klinger, Lindell, Oleksiak, Nemeth, and Faksa and signing an undrafted Dillon during 4 years of bankruptcy and Nieuwendyk- the kind of defensive addition to the squad that Nill and Co. and their Red Wings pedigree havent added in 8 years of drafting- is not nothing.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'd think drafting Klinger, Lindell, Oleksiak, Nemeth, and Faksa and signing an undrafted Dillon during 4 years of bankruptcy and Nieuwendyk- the kind of defensive addition to the squad that Nill and Co. and their Red Wings pedigree havent added in 8 years of drafting- is not nothing.
My point is a side benefit to losing is supposed to be better draft position in the first round to get access to the higher end talent, and the Stars got nothing from their better draft position. Most of those guys were all drafted in later rounds and could have been selected by any team in the league, so it's not like losing helped the Stars draft a gem like Klingberg.

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

serp

Jan 17, 2016
My point is a side benefit to losing is supposed to be better draft position in the first round to get access to the higher end talent, and the Stars got nothing from their better draft position. Most of those guys were all drafted in later rounds and could have been selected by any team in the league, so it's not like losing helped the Stars draft a gem like Klingberg.

The team wasn't even really terrible during the bankruptcy years. Just mediocre to below average. What was even their highest pick from those years ? #8 in 2009 and they blew that on Glennie i think. Just too much winning to get a high draft pick but never enough to make the playoffs.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The team wasn't even really terrible during the bankruptcy years. Just mediocre to below average. What was even their highest pick from those years ? #8 in 2009 and they blew that on Glennie i think. Just too much winning to get a high draft pick but never enough to make the playoffs.
I blame Kari for a lot of that. He got healthy, committed to being the best he could be, and kept them in a lot of games they’d have otherwise lost. It was awful. Bad enough to be a terrible product to watch but not bad enough to result in awesome players from the draft.

Reactions: LT

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
He'll bounce back next season. Ive said it before but he is one of the few Stars the board conveniently forgot has had the same work load and condensed scheduling schedule as those who have been pardoned for their poor play.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
He'll bounce back next season. Ive said it before but he is one of the few Stars the board conveniently forgot has had the same work load and condensed scheduling schedule as those who have been pardoned for their poor play.
Ya he will bounce back for Seattle .

Reactions: Dallasman

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
They're going to start Bishop skating again in June/July. The offseason plan is going to depend on how healthy he looks. If he still hasn't recovered 9 months after a surgical recovery that was only supposed to take 5 months, Khudobin's probably on the team next year.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad