2020-21 SPHL Season Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Southern Professional Hockey League play starts tonight (26 December 2020) with two games in Alabama:
  • Pensacola Ice Flyers being hosted by the Birmingham Bulls; and
  • Knoxville Ice Bears being hosted by the Huntsville Havoc.
Just five of last season's ten teams are playing this season, with the Macon Mayhem playing their opening game @ Huntsville on Monday night.

The SPHL season schedule is posted HERE.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Well, that wraps it up for "the first half" of the SPHL 2020-21 season. None of the teams have clinched a playoff spot yet, but here are the standings ...

SPHL Standings (as of 31 December 2020).JPG

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
All five teams are still standing ...

SPHL Standings (11 Jan 2021).JPG

And here's the schedule of games for next weekend, subject to immediate & unpredictable change ...

SPHL Schedule (15-18 Jan 2021).JPG

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Average attendance of 1,605 so far. All five teams won't be standing for long.

Well, it's not like the teams that took the year off were sitting pretty, either. Peoria kept griefing about their arena/convention center and Evansville is an absolute train wreck. And if one or both goes, why would you keep Quad City around?

Who knows what the SPHL will look like in the near future.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Well, it's not like the teams that took the year off were sitting pretty, either. Peoria kept griefing about their arena/convention center and Evansville is an absolute train wreck. ...
I can't vouch for E'ville's future, but the Peoria city council bailed out the PCC back in September. So whether or not the SPHL folds, I'd bet some version of "Rivermen" lives on.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I can't vouch for E'ville's future, but the Peoria city council bailed out the PCC back in September. So whether or not the SPHL folds, I'd bet some version of "Rivermen" lives on.

It's been well reported that Evansville faces financially onerous lease terms at the Ford Center.

Peoria isn't playing because of Illinois issuing restrictions on capacity at indoor events. I agree that there will be some form of hockey in the PCC if the SPHL falls apart, but it won't be until those restrictions are lifted.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Peoria isn't playing because of Illinois issuing restrictions on capacity at indoor events. I agree that there will be some form of hockey in the PCC if the SPHL falls apart, but it won't be until those restrictions are lifted.
J.B. Pritzker's gubernatorial term ends on January 9, 2023. Mark your calendars, Rivermen fans.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
That's the Sorta Professional Hockey League for you - just make it up as you go along, especially if it benefits Huntsville or Knoxville.
I'm thinkin' Macon may be the new favorite kid. Or at least they're allowed to sit at the adult table during holidays.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I'm thinkin' Macon may be the new favorite kid. Or at least they're allowed to sit at the adult table during holidays.

Three postponed games in a row and a loud and boisterous crowd of (checks notes) 612 at the home opener suggests otherwise.

Does McBob still own that team?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Three postponed games in a row and a loud and boisterous crowd of (checks notes) 612 at the home opener suggests otherwise. ...
Attendance numbers for the SPHL this crazy season should be ignored IMO. Survival will be dependent solely on the will of each owner to write more checks & hope to play again next season with lesser (or no) restrictions on attendance. 2021-22 will be like starting a brand new league in the cities who survive the winter & summer. Remarket, replan, recharge, and resume.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Attendance numbers for the SPHL this crazy season should be ignored IMO. Survival will be dependent solely on the will of each owner to write more checks & hope to play again next season with lesser (or no) restrictions on attendance. 2021-22 will be like starting a brand new league in the cities who survive the winter & summer. Remarket, replan, recharge, and resume.

I agree somewhat, but I disagree in regards to Macon. A new owner losing his ass in the first year, pandemic or not, doesn't bode well for a long future.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I agree somewhat, but I disagree in regards to Macon. A new owner losing his ass in the first year, pandemic or not, doesn't bode well for a long future.
Would they have lost less of their glutes had they sat outside five other teams? If so, it seems to me that GPSV made a conscious business decision to proceed & take whatever losses came their way. Maybe it was part of a long term plan, maybe it was naivete, but does ANY minor pro hockey venture bode well for a long future? Sometimes you've gotta go with your heart rather than your head. That's probably how you got into hockey. And look, you survived to be a valuable contributing member to this wonderful on-line community. Who'da thunk? :huh:

Last edited:

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Would they have lost less of their glutes had they sat outside five other teams? If so, it seems to me that GPSV made a conscious business decision to proceed & take whatever losses came their way.

Unless they were going to be on the hook for the whole season's rent regardless of whether or not they played (which I highly doubt, and if the arena tried, it'd surely go to court), there's no way they'd lose more by not playing. When you eliminate player payroll, you actually your two biggest expenses: player payroll and workman's compensation insurance premiums for the players.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Maybe they figured they'd need a big tax write-off with the new Sheriff coming to D.C.. :dunno:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Here we are, end of January, about 6 weeks into the season, and here's how the SPHL Mini-League Standings are shaping up ... :boredom:

SPHL Standings (31 Jan 2021).JPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->