GDT: 2020-21 season game 9 LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @7:00pm 2/2/21

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
I understand sticking up for teammates but unless you got a player willing to sit for 2-4mins on a penalty sticking up for a teammate doesn’t do much anymore I believe. Because if a Tkachuk, Perry, Perron, Reaves, Marchand does something all it means is they know they go under your skin and they’ll do it again to get you to take a penalty. The way to solve that problem is not go after the person who took the big hit or did the cheap shot but someone else on the other team. But very very few players are willing to do that anymore.

You think Marchand, Tkachuk or Perron care what happens to themselves while you’re sitting in the box while they’re on the PP? Nope not really. How many times do those types of players sit there laughing at the other player after the refs call the penalty. McDermid is never going to stop that, unless he’s able to say lay out Johnny Hockey or something as a result of a Tkachuk cheap shot.

It’s Sean Connerys line from the Untouchables “they put one of yours in the hospital, you put on of theirs in the morgue” don’t go after them go after their teammates.
I'm fine with this counter argument BUT if you're not going to do one, you damn well better do the other and let me see some bodies flying in an attempt to send a message. Problem is, no one can and no one does or they refuse to do it, and that's the bit that is impossible to watch.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Can't think of very many prospects in the pipeline who are known for their physical game, which is a bit concerning. Not necessarily seeking the next Ryan Flinn, Matt Johnson or Raitis Ivanans, but it would be nice to have another Ian Laperriere, Sean Avery (without the baggage) type in the pipeline.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Unfortunately, there arent many players like Maroon. The Kings need players who can hit, skate, and chip in offensively. They need a prime Clifford, but there is only a few.

It should tell you something when the player I fear most when we play the Knights has been Reaves.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
This board cracks me up with the rollercoaster highs and lows but I guess that’s what being a fan is all about.

Wasn’t it toward the end of the cup years that there was such clamoring to ditch the Stoll’s, Greene’s, Clifford’s, Lewis’s, King’s etc for youth and skill? Now it’s panic time because our youth skill players don’t have enough grit and physicality?

Remember grit and physicality can be easily bought and traded for, skill is a heck of a lot harder to come by.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Can't think of very many prospects in the pipeline who are known for their physical game, which is a bit concerning. Not necessarily seeking the next Ryan Flinn, Matt Johnson or Raitis Ivanans, but it would be nice to have another Ian Laperriere, Sean Avery (without the baggage) type in the pipeline.

Andre Lee maybe?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Unfortunately, there arent many players like Maroon. The Kings need players who can hit, skate, and chip in offensively. They need a prime Clifford, but there is only a few.

It should tell you something when the player I fear most when we play the Knights has been Reaves.
i mean they're not prime clifford, but guys like wagner and grundstrom have at least some abrasiveness to their game but they have to make it a hallmark of their game. not even "taking runs" but if the both of them at least started finishing off guys against the boards i think it would rub off on everyone. that first period against the wild dragged some of it out but the wild are better at it and we folded

Reactions: Sol

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
So you were low on him after the WJC huh? Did you even watch? He was one of the reasons they won gold. The kid scores goals everywhere he goes, please stop trying to turn our skill players into grinders like Sutter liked to do.
Very low, I watched every game he's played this season. He was very average in the round robin games, he couldn't find space. More concerning was his skating and overall backchecking that was just non existent. Even in the AHL game last week he was two strides behind his man crossing the blue line and coasted all the way to the crease behind him while he was looking for a cross ice pass. Two strides would of put him along side his man but he chose to coast the entire defensive zone.

A lot of his issues were fitness related early on in the wjc I suspect, his effort and skating improved as the tournament progressed.

The arty we saw yesterday was vastly improved over any of his previous games, he was skating all game and the effort was there to see. If he keeps that up then his defensive issues will be minimal

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
i mean they're not prime clifford, but guys like wagner and grundstrom have at least some abrasiveness to their game but they have to make it a hallmark of their game. not even "taking runs" but if the both of them at least started finishing off guys against the boards i think it would rub off on everyone. that first period against the wild dragged some of it out but the wild are better at it and we folded

I still think Wagner can be a solid fourth-line player who can chip in five to ten goals a season, especially if he continues to play with an edge. He needs to clean up his outlet passes and defensive game though.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
besides, macdermid gets PK minutes.. an 80s/90s enforcer doesn't. he doesn't just provide bench warmth until his next fighting major, he gives you decent bottom pairing minutes so long as you don't expect more from him
Which is exactly why a staged fight is so damned annoying. He is better than that and was being relied on as such.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
This board cracks me up with the rollercoaster highs and lows but I guess that’s what being a fan is all about.

Wasn’t it toward the end of the cup years that there was such clamoring to ditch the Stoll’s, Greene’s, Clifford’s, Lewis’s, King’s etc for youth and skill? Now it’s panic time because our youth skill players don’t have enough grit and physicality?

Remember grit and physicality can be easily bought and traded for, skill is a heck of a lot harder to come by.

Perhaps it would help to note that there are different people with differing opinions here, not just one collective board-think.

Reactions: kilowatt

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

You don’t think the Kings would benefit from acquiring Milan Lucic for Quinton Byfield? Clearly we’re all asking for the team to get rid of the offensive talent and finesse they’re oozing with for some old time hockey.

I guess suggesting some sandpaper in the lineup means we’re thinking backwards now.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I guess suggesting some sandpaper in the lineup means we’re thinking backwards now.

It’s not the suggestions it’s the suggestions with zero ideas other than rehashing older players than many wanted gone in Clifford.

Would we have been happy with Blake if he traded for or signed Backes, Kassian, Roussel, Perry, Simmonds, Hathaway, Goodrow, L. Schenn, Bogosian?

Backes, Nick Foligno, Gubranson, Bogosian, Bellemare, Hyman, Lowry, Coleman, Simmonds, Goodrow, Andreoff are all UFAs in the off-season, we can cross our fingers for 2 of them.

Mcsorley47

Jan 12, 2021
Yorba Linda, Ca

I’m hoping Blake understands this and instead of drafting these type of players, he later trades for them.

If not, this team is Montreal.

Reactions: Reaper45

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yeah, we can buy some sandpaper for cheap at Home Depot after this strange shortened transition season is over. I think part of the reason everyone's panties are in a bunch over every single game is that we haven't had crap to get invested in for 10 freaking months. Even I find myself losing my mind over plays I'd just shake my head over a year ago. I'll worry about adding grit to the lineup when the rosters are actually back to normal and more youth is in the lineup next season that need protecting.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It’s not the suggestions it’s the suggestions with zero ideas other than rehashing older players than many wanted gone in Clifford.

Would we have been happy with Blake if he traded for or signed Backes, Kassian, Roussel, Perry, Simmonds, Hathaway, Goodrow, L. Schenn, Bogosian?

Backes, Nick Foligno, Gubranson, Bogosian, Bellemare, Hyman, Lowry, Coleman, Simmonds, Goodrow, Andreoff are all UFAs in the off-season, we can cross our fingers for 2 of them.

Some of those names could fit in and help, whereas the older guys with mileage would be like adding yet another Scott Thornton type who’s hanging around to collect one last paycheck.

Don’t think anybody is clamoring for the next John Zeiler, but finding a guy like Simmonds or Clifford later in the draft (or as unsigned prospects) would be welcome. I’d like to see some new blood who can bring some physicality, in addition to the injection of talent, but as of now, this team is severely lacking in both areas.

It’s also worth noting that the Kings poor possession numbers thus far, they don’t have the puck on their sticks for very long, and they spend a lot of time trying to get out of their zone, and they are at the bottom of the league in hits per game.

Right now, we’re looking at a team that has no identity. They can’t score, they can’t defend, they can’t hit, and they can’t pass. At least the goaltending has been consistent.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm not looking for a fighter either necessarily. Just someone who's willing to throw hard hits. And throw punches after the whistle and occasionally drop them.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Andre Lee maybe?

He does have the size, not sure how much he utilizes it though. If he can use his big frame, he can be a nice Dwight King type bottom six forward.

Rightfully the focus is on the players who will be in the spotlight, like Byfield, Kaliyev, Turcotte, Madden, etc., but I like to keep an eye on the later round gems who may help in other areas of the game.

Nobody wants to see these guys get pushed around, so I'm hoping the team addresses that need somehow in the upcoming offseason.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014

And that physicallity ofc will come with time and addition by subtraction. The complaint right now and I suppose we saw the lack of emotion when we were building towards the 12 & 14 teams but collectively it seems like there's no heart in it at all. The difference is, this is a team full of veterans that went and did the damn thing and should be showing the young kids the ropes and if that's what they're showing them right now then we're up schitt's creek. I suppose it's up to Blake if we need to add people with character to change the culture in the room because right now, no one is seeing it.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Grundstroum??

Even he doesn't always finish hits like he should but, yeah, at least he looks for it more often than not.

I would have had ZERO issues with Clifford coming back. Oh, would Trevor Moore not be able to play? Big deal. That said, I would have gone to a contender as well instead of coming back to be part of a rebuild.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
When the Kings drafted Dustin Brown he wasn't exactly a super high-skilled player. He had some skill and showed some of it throughout his career, but he was primarily a winger who went hard to the net just about every time he possessed the puck. I wouldn't mind seeing the Kings take a player like Brown in the first round next draft.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
When the Kings drafted Dustin Brown he wasn't exactly a super high-skilled player. He had some skill and showed some of it throughout his career, but he was primarily a winger who went hard to the net just about every time he possessed the puck. I wouldn't mind seeing the Kings take a player like Brown in the first round next draft.

I was really hoping for Jake Neighbors, but he went higher than I thought. Those kids are gonna be valuable in the coming years imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->