GDT: 2020-21 season game 8 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @5:00pm 1/28/21

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I can see your argument that it was unintentional. The game happens fast. Guys are making decisions within a millisecond time frame. But wild fans are shrugging their shoulders and even shedding some of the blame onto Roy. The reality is there was no need for this kind of hit. He's more than an entire body length from the boards

It's a hellacious hit, no doubt about it, but like I said, I don't think the hit....was the intent, I truly think he wanted to go wrap him up and bear hug him into the wall, but he's gotta be smarter than that to realize, you cant do that from 6-7 feet out, that hit is the end result.... I also don't think he read Roy correctly when Roy tried to stop/turn, Fiala was not ready for it, and that's where you get the extension/push from that, it looks extremely bad.... but you can see the look on Fiala's face directly afterwards, that's not someone that knew what he was doing and had a change of heart, that's the look of someone that went, oh f*** what did I just do..... he knew he f***ed up bad.... again, not excusing it, because A. he's got realize he can't wrap up like that 6-7-8 feet from the boards, and B. he's gotta read Roy better in that situation....

But like I said my argument is that it's not as viscious as a hit, as some are making it out to be, it was a complete accident....but one you still have to take accountability for.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Was lurking on the wild GDT during the game. The general consensus was that he "lost his footing" and Fiala wasn't at fault.

I'm not kidding.
La daily news agrees
Soon after, there was another fracas, this time involving nine skaters in the corner. Fiala boarded Roy, who tried to stop and his skates went out from underneath him, causing him to go face-first into the half-wall. Roy remained on the ice for several minutes before being helped from the ice by Kopitar and Jeff Carter

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
La daily news agrees
Soon after, there was another fracas, this time involving nine skaters in the corner. Fiala boarded Roy, who tried to stop and his skates went out from underneath him, causing him to go face-first into the half-wall. Roy remained on the ice for several minutes before being helped from the ice by Kopitar and Jeff Carter
HORRIBLE take. He clearly extended his arms and accelerated Roy into the boards. This was a cheap, dirty and avoidable play. He will be deservedly suspended, should be minimum 5 games.
This will be used as an example of what the NHL is trying to avoid at all costs, rightly so.
PS He was hunting Roy all game. Watch from the beginning.

Reactions: head eyes

3firstnames

Dabbler. Dilettante.
Apr 18, 2018
Long Beach
La daily news agrees
I'm not calling for Fiala's head or anything. I agree with goldenbear that I'm not sure it was intentional. I just feel that this is absolving his role in an unnecessary play/hit. I stated earlier that these guys are moving so fast and making such quick decisions...things like this happen.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm not calling for Fiala's head or anything. I agree with goldenbear that I'm not sure it was intentional. I just feel that this is absolving his role in an unnecessary play/hit. I stated earlier that these guys are moving so fast and making such quick decisions...things like this happen.

Yep, but that is a garbage take from LA Daily news, guarantee you there is no way Fiala or Roy "lost" their footing, Roy goes to stop, Fiala isn't expecting that, and hits him, Fiala didn't toe pick into him like that article tries to articulate

Reactions: onlyalad

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
It's a hellacious hit, no doubt about it, but like I said, I don't think the hit....was the intent, I truly think he wanted to go wrap him up and bear hug him into the wall, but he's gotta be smarter than that to realize, you cant do that from 6-7 feet out, that hit is the end result.... I also don't think he read Roy correctly when Roy tried to stop/turn, Fiala was not ready for it, and that's where you get the extension/push from that, it looks extremely bad.... but you can see the look on Fiala's face directly afterwards, that's not someone that knew what he was doing and had a change of heart, that's the look of someone that went, oh f*** what did I just do..... he knew he f***ed up bad.... again, not excusing it, because A. he's got realize he can't wrap up like that 6-7-8 feet from the boards, and B. he's gotta read Roy better in that situation....

But like I said my argument is that it's not as viscious as a hit, as some are making it out to be, it was a complete accident....but one you still have to take accountability for.
It was a totally irresponsible and careless play. Dude wanted to put him in the boards at any cost and we saw the result.

Did he intend to injure Roy? No. But he absolutely put Roys health secondary to the play. If it were a King making that play on a minasota player I'd lose a tremendous amount of respect for him.

Stupid play by a stupid player.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It was a totally irresponsible and careless play. Dude wanted to put him in the boards at any cost and we saw the result.

Did he intend to injure Roy? No. But he absolutely put Roys health secondary to the play. If it were a King making that play on a minasota player I'd lose a tremendous amount of respect for him.

Stupid play by a stupid player.

Those two bolded statements don't match up.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
No matter what the intent or biomechanical analysis, there's a reason the NHL and hockey at large shifted the responsibility on these plays the hitter years ago, and this is a good example of why.
Any idea how long Roy will be out and the extent of the injury? And what of Sean Walker that blast from Dumba up high looked seriously dangerous and damaging?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Any idea how long Roy will be out and the extent of the injury? And what of Sean Walker that blast from Dumba up high looked seriously dangerous and damaging?

haven't seen anything as the Kings are in transit and not practicing but they're supposed to see doctors today. Imagine we'll hear something tomorrow.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
intent to injure and intent to check are 2 different things

i don't even know why i unblocked you, the contrarian schtick is so f***ing tired dude

Whose being contrarian? I gave you what I thought about the play, if you don't like it, well I don't really care. It was a bad hit and a bad play, but it wasn't vicious.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
That’s gotta hurt.

Attachments

• 0B5DB7AE-6F89-46E9-A65F-ED63CBA85D76.jpeg
    0B5DB7AE-6F89-46E9-A65F-ED63CBA85D76.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 13

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Damn...definitely a broken nose.....that might be the worst of it, but they might be waiting for swelling to go down to check orbital bone

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
that's a hell of a cut too

guess its a good sign that he was able to dress, fly and take pictures.. he's probably high as a kite though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad