GDT: 2020-21 season game 6 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @5:00pm 1/24/21

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I thought that was Brown’s best game so far. He’s still pretty rope a dope when he receives a puck, but last night he was able to make a few plays and looked interested in forechecking. I hope he is one of those guys who is shedding his preseason skin.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAKings88

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
One thing I noticed so far is that the coach is making the young players play. Even if they have a bad shift or game he will put them out there and see how they respond. Anderson is just one example, Macdermid is another. There is nothing more important to a young player's development than confidence. Having a coach that instills that into the players will go a long way to make sure this rebuild is successful.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
#Elite 1st line center Anze Kopitar

KopiStar.JPG

Reactions: LAKings88

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I thought that was Brown’s best game so far. He’s still pretty rope a dope when he receives a puck, but last night he was able to make a few plays and looked interested in forechecking. I hope he is one of those guys who is shedding his preseason skin.

Vilardi has the same type of passing ability as Kopitar with maybe even better vision, so Brown should fit next to Gabe. So it makes sense keeping Brown on this line, especially with Kempe activating first line mode in his settings. Lizotte's line should start sacrificing minutes to Vilardi's line if they don't start waking up. That's the advantage of having 3 lines capable of providing offense.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Vilardi just has 'it'. That unquantifiable mental game. You can hear it in his interviews, he's his own worst critic, and you can hear the seething desire to just get better. Watching him already get angry and take over shifts where he shows how high his potential is is something we haven't seen since...I really don't know. Not sure we've had a prospect with this kind of skill coupled with desire/moxie since Drew.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I read an article by I believe TSN that listed there top 50 forwards and Kopitar didn't even crack the list.

At least when the Kings were good Kopitar got his due. He's a 1st ballot HOFer with the Cups, multiple Selkes, and Hart nom at least. Now none of those analysts watch us anymore, so whatever.

It would've been nice for Doughty and Kopitar to win a Conn Smythe though. That would've helped the staying power in folks mind a bit. As much as I love Williams, #11 and #8 were more deserving that year.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
It would've been nice for Doughty and Kopitar to win a Conn Smythe though. That would've helped the staying power in folks mind a bit. As much as I love Williams, #11 and #8 were more deserving that year.

Kopitar had one more point, the entire postseason
upload_2021-1-25_9-34-40.png

but Williams was a beast in the SCF
upload_2021-1-25_9-35-43.png

Williams had 7 points, leading all players in the SCF. Kopitar has 2 points by comparison.

Williams was the Kings best player that postseason. So many huge goals

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
@LT Dan Kopitar or Doughty were more deserving when looking at the entirety of the playoffs. The centers that Kopitar had to deal with in just getting out of the West was pretty ridiculous. I could also make the case for Gaborik scoring the same amount of--or more--huge goals.

Doughty didn't have the best SCF when compared to the rest of the playoffs but Williams got the GWG in Game 1 and racked up more points. I mean, Williams was awesome and not undeserving but Kopitar was the engine that drove the front end and Doughty the same on the back.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The problem with that run was many of the analysts didn't give a shit until the SCF and when williams scored the OT goal in game 1 that just fueled their clutch-boners, they probably cast their conn smythe votes right then and there. I mean you could make the case across the playoffs for any of them, but it's really annoying that Kopitar's and Doughty's legacies leave that off when you consider how good they were in the Cup years.

Duhatschek: Did Drew Doughty’s 2014 get enough respect?

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
As for the weekend games, my boy MacD was pretty brutal out there. Real condemnation of Maata to not draw in for the second game. Perhaps it fits with my theory of the other option besides MacDermid also sucks but doesn't bring any physicality or intangibles so they roll MacD out there anyways since the team likes having him in the lineup. If Maata is going to be responsible for a goal against just like MacD then screw it: let him sit.

I missed most of the 2nd period on Saturday since I was cooking but I liked what I saw in the 1st and 3rd even if the shot totals didn't support it. I saw good chances in the 1st (Vilardi missed a one-timer, Walker break away, Kempe post) and puck movement that made them look like a competent hockey team. I actually thought they were going to come back in Saturday's game so it was nice to see them once again look like a real hockey team in Game 2. I'm not getting too excited about the final result of the two wins (back up nobody goalies) but I do like the process and eye test. Like, when they actually transition from one end of the ice to the other on a consistent basis and guys remember that stickhandling is not a penalty. Makes it much more fun to watch.

Clague becoming a thing is a good development. If the Kings can figure out a decent blueline with the majority of it being homegrown, well that is pretty cool. I'm not the biggest Walker fan--he's fine--but isn't Clague pretty much playing as well as he has? It is really helping that transition game I mentioned earlier to have a great skating, offensive-minded defenseman back there. Confidence is key with all of these guys coming in and you can see his growing. Top flight player at every level he's been at so hopefully he continues to settle in and possibly becomes the #4 we all hoped he could be.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As for the weekend games, my boy MacD was pretty brutal out there. Real condemnation of Maata to not draw in for the second game. Perhaps it fits with my theory of the other option besides MacDermid also sucks but doesn't bring any physicality or intangibles so they roll MacD out there anyways since the team likes having him in the lineup. If Maata is going to be responsible for a goal against just like MacD then screw it: let him sit.

I missed most of the 2nd period on Saturday since I was cooking but I liked what I saw in the 1st and 3rd even if the shot totals didn't support it. I saw good chances in the 1st (Vilardi missed a one-timer, Walker break away, Kempe post) and puck movement that made them look like a competent hockey team. I actually thought they were going to come back in Saturday's game so it was nice to see them once again look like a real hockey team in Game 2. I'm not getting too excited about the final result of the two wins (back up nobody goalies) but I do like the process and eye test. Like, when they actually transition from one end of the ice to the other on a consistent basis and guys remember that stickhandling is not a penalty. Makes it much more fun to watch.

Clague becoming a thing is a good development. If the Kings can figure out a decent blueline with the majority of it being homegrown, well that is pretty cool. I'm not the biggest Walker fan--he's fine--but isn't Clague pretty much playing as well as he has? It is really helping that transition game I mentioned earlier to have a great skating, offensive-minded defenseman back there. Confidence is key with all
of these guys coming in and you can see his growing. Top flight player at every level he's been at so hopefully he continues to settle in and possibly becomes the #4 we all hoped he could be.

I think Walker as a #5 is fantastic. It's rare to get an all-around d-man in that slot who can drive play. 2012 Martinez-Greene is like the ultimate rarity. If Clague can keep that slot next to Roy, and either Anderson or Bjornfot can hold down next to Doughty, that means Walker gets Anderson or Bjornfot, and our bottom pairing is suddenly really really f***ing good, AND TM can spread the minutes better.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think what while a lot of us appreciate what MacD brings, we knew he'd be passed up on the depth chart eventually. I just didn't expect it to show signs of that so quickly. Others are advancing while he seems to have plateaued, and while he looked fine against Minnesota against the skilled teams he really struggles. At least in the games I've watched, shenanigans seem to be way down league wide so I'm interested to see what TM does with that last spot. If Maata settles in, great. If not, the style I've seen around the NHL really plays to Bjornfot's strengths. It might be worth it to see how he has progressed by plugging him in for a bit.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
If I would rank the D-core up to now it will be:

Doughty (slow start but getting better every game, moving Anderson up was a big factor as well)

Roy (Stable, reliable, wish he can provide more offense but he should be a King for a long time)

Anderson (Underrated, bounces back from misaps, he will only get better with more strength and better balance)

Walker (Good puck mover but needs to produce, I feel he is a placeholder until Grans\Faber steal his spot)

Clague (Shifty, great skater, gives me the Mete vibs, weak shot but potential is there for improvements)

Maatta (Disappoitment, i believe he will be much better soon and hopefully we can flip him at the deadline)

MacDermid (Borderline #7 D man, he trys but the IQ and skills are just not there)

Reactions: andys

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
At least when the Kings were good Kopitar got his due. He's a 1st ballot HOFer with the Cups, multiple Selkes, and Hart nom at least. Now none of those analysts watch us anymore, so whatever.

I just laugh reading through this forum. Last week everybody wanted Kopitar to retire or traded and now people are defending him about not getting any respect. Just waiting for Kopitar to go pointless and the Kings losing before the he's slow, can't play anymore, and why are we paying 10 mil for a 3rd line center comments come back.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I can!

Turcotte - Byfield - Kaliyev
Madden - Vilardi - Fagemo
Kempe - Kopitar - Kupari
Andersson - Thomas - Grundstrom

Bjornfot - Doughty
Anderson - Roy
Clague - Faber
Like it except I like Turcotte's speed down the middle and Fagemo and Madden can switch places so they are playing their more "natural" positions!Otherwise spot on man! There is no 4th line there! That offensive group could score 280 goals in a "regular" season!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Doughty (slow start but getting better every game, moving Anderson up was a big factor as well)

Roy (Stable, reliable, wish he can provide more offense but he should be a King for a long time)

Anderson (Underrated, bounces back from misaps, he will only get better with more strength and better balance)

Walker (Good puck mover but needs to produce, I feel he is a placeholder until Grans\Faber steal his spot)

Clague (Shifty, great skater, gives me the Mete vibs, weak shot but potential is there for improvements)

Maatta (Disappoitment, i believe he will be much better soon and hopefully we can flip him at the deadline)

MacDermid (Borderline #7 D man, he trys but the IQ and skills are just not there)
Bang on...Maatta is trying to do too much,just has to simplify his game and not be another Doughty,rushing up the ice whenever a chance is there! Did you see the Doughty and Maatta rush,TM must have had a "heart attack"!!!

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think what while a lot of us appreciate what MacD brings, we knew he'd be passed up on the depth chart eventually. I just didn't expect it to show signs of that so quickly. Others are advancing while he seems to have plateaued, and while he looked fine against Minnesota against the skilled teams he really struggles. At least in the games I've watched, shenanigans seem to be way down league wide so I'm interested to see what TM does with that last spot. If Maata settles in, great. If not, the style I've seen around the NHL really plays to Bjornfot's strengths. It might be worth it to see how he has progressed by plugging him in for a bit.

As I've said before RE: Bjornfot: He better be a better player than MacDermid at this point or he isn't going to be what we want/need him to be.

It just doesn't seem like Management is interested in giving him those minutes yet at the NHL level. We're just now getting 2016 and '17 draft picks with regular NHL ice time. Fagemo could technically be an '18 but he still hasn't seen NHL ice. They are all about having them play and practice together in the AHL. The coaching hire down there screams pure development, something that Kings practices aren't going to focus on.

Several of these guys are going to see NHL ice this season but I still think the plan is for towards the end of the season barring injuries, undeniable AHL performances or a combination of both.

Reactions: andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I just laugh reading through this forum. Last week everybody wanted Kopitar to retire or traded and now people are defending him about not getting any respect. Just waiting for Kopitar to go pointless and the Kings losing before the he's slow, can't play anymore, and why are we paying 10 mil for a 3rd line center comments come back.
Kopi did look slow and old at first,but his game has improved considerably with Kempe on his wing! That and the fact the Kings don't need him to "score" every night. PS Kopi is making 8 Million,pro rated to 5.3M in Co-Vid year...the Cap hit is 10M

Anze Kopitar - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Roy is really starting to give me Vlasic (good version, not 2021 pinto version) vibes, even down to being a little bit of a dick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad