GDT: 2020-21 season game 53 LA kings vs Colorado Avalanche @7:00pm 5/8/21

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
walker seemed like a surefire protection coming into this season imo, but i've seen some unholy blown coverages from him this season and it feels like he hasn't taken the step forward that some others have. somehow he seems to escape criticism here.. not sure why. the bursts of offense are nice and i'm not sure we have anyone else capable (or willing) of jumping into the attack the way he is, but i'm not sure he's an automatic protection guy right now. tough one though.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
walker seemed like a surefire protection coming into this season imo, but i've seen some unholy blown coverages from him this season and it feels like he hasn't taken the step forward that some others have. somehow he seems to escape criticism here.. not sure why. the bursts of offense are nice and i'm not sure we have anyone else capable (or willing) of jumping into the attack the way he is, but i'm not sure he's an automatic protection guy right now. tough one though.

I think he's been shaky since coming back but I think we also have to realize he is always, always saddled with the worst LHDs this org has seen.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I really like AA but why does it seem like he doesn’t have chemistry with anybody on the roster really?
He plays a very individual game. Not that he doesn't pass, he is always looking to set up pretty plays. Just that he sometimes seems to be looking to prove how good he is as opposed to letting things happen organically.

Athanasiou is the kinda guy that would always look to cross you over in a pick up game at the park, even if he had an easy layup.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Yeah, but who else do you protect in that 3rd defense spot? Certainly not Clague, Maatta or MacDermid. Its a non-story, nobody else is even close to Walker.

Now, if you are talking trade, sure.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Yeah, but who else do you protect in that 3rd defense spot? Certainly not Clague, Maatta or MacDermid. Its a non-story, nobody else is even close to Walker.

It took Maatta 52 games to figure things out and he still looks out of place.Let him go to Seattle to continue things.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Strand is a good candidate as well.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

i don't know about "certainly not" re: clague, i think the question includes clague and strand

Last edited:

bland

Jul 1, 2004
i don't know about "certainly not" re: clague, i think the question includes clague and strand

The best you can say about Clague is that he didn't look out of place. He can play in the NHL. What we don't know is if he can excel in the NHL, and we may never find out here because he keeps shooting himself in the foot everytime he is sent back to the Reign.

Clague won't pass Bjornfot or Anderson on the depth chart, and it's highly likely that the Kings pursue an impact LHD this offseason. I like his game, but it's a numbers issue and he keeps sulking his way to the bottom of the list. At this point, Moverare's potential might have edged him in above Clague in longterm planning.

Strand was a pleasant surprise, and could easily slot in to that 3rd RHD spot, certainly the 7D spot next year, but I can't see protecting him in favor of Walker. If you trade Walker he has a damn good shot at showing his value before Spence and Faber push in 2023.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad