GDT: 2020-21 season game 37 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @7:00pm 4/5/21

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Little Shit Bunting had a few cheap shots on Doughty in the 3rd.

Now, while I think the entire team should collectively remind a player / team that you don’t do that, a player like BigMac needs to. Absolutely unacceptable.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
AA, Kopitar, Iafallo, Brown and Kempe look like the only forwards who care.

Lizotte can go - he's been terrible - the new Amadio. Wagner has been invisible, AA took this spot with grit and speed. Grunstrom hasn't been good since they broke up Moore/JAD. Didn't even know Vilardi was playing.

The first line is stale and all the other lines have been garbage.

Memories of 2006 - 2010.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
yknow i realized the game had already started but i was doing other stuff, checked the score and saw 2 by someone i had never heard of and thought to myself "well he's gonna get a hatty tonight, i'm not gonna bother watching"

sounds like i made a good choice

Reactions: LAKings88

Crownroyal21

Mar 19, 2019
Disappointed. We all know next year is when they do better. There was some promise this year. It’s now gone. Maybe, they go on a winning streak. For me, I never give up on this team.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes

One of the bright spots for me has been the resurgence of Doughty. His play has been elite and his attitude in these pressers show a passion and fire I was convinced he'd lost. He's probably the one guy in the team I wouldn't consider trading at this point.

Last edited:

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The only positive I can take is that both post game interviews were very blunt and honest. There were no canned or scripted replies but genuine reality, so now we will see who really wants to be here. The whole compete/intensity question is something that they should all be able to answer.

Vilardi looks tired to me, mentally as well as physically. Given how much hockey he’s missed the last few years that isn’t a surprise. I’ve had the view that he just needs to keep playing games but I’m now thinking he should sit for a couple and (I assume he’s still waiver exempt) I’d even consider sending him down briefly to get some big minutes and to regroup. I think he will be fine long term but he needs a reset.

I’d just waive Lizotte and Wagner. No idea what they do with Carter but he needs to be out of the lineup. Moore, JAD and Grundstrom need to play together again... after that god knows...

The D is a mess but that’s were I have some sympathy. We have 3 of 6 guys out and given where we are in the rebuild it’s no shock they are struggling as 4 of the 6 playing are bottom pair guys at best. The lack of compete though is again an issue though, I mean isn’t that the point of MacDermid?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Surprised he doesn’t ask for a trade.

He knows his contract isn't going anywhere. He knows there's no point in even wondering. Other than Toronto, where else would he want to go, and how would the contract get there in the first place?

We heard this even in the golden age, despite them ultimately getting the job done, but this has been a consistent theme since 14-15. How many times have we heard it? 24th overall in pts% since the start of 14-15.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
He knows his contract isn't going anywhere. He knows there's no point in even wondering. Other than Toronto, where else would he want to go, and how would the contract get there in the first place?

We heard this even in the golden age, despite them ultimately getting the job done, but this has been a consistent theme since 14-15. How many times have we heard it? 24th overall in pts% since the start of 14-15.
The Kings aren't going to win with these guys leading the way. They just aren't.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Got a feel from the presser that both Doughty and TMac are directing their messages at different groups of players. Both are fustrated at losing with their hands tied becasue of poor talent that they are surrounded with.

TMac seems to point to the Vets to be better and lead this team, better prepare the young players for more intensity during a playoff race while Doughty clearing is saying the young guys need to earn their spots but play every game to keep that spot.

To me the whole thing is a lack of leadership. I think it's time for a new leadership group to drive the next wave of prospects. Give the C to Doughty and get another D man Vet to help out that undersized, overmatched D-core. (Oleksiak, Savard etc...) And look for that top end LD.

We need a new Vet or 2 that wants to win and shows how hard work on\off the ice leads to success. I hate the whole 5 vets that lead us to the cup will lead the way, that was 7 years ago, it clearly isn't working.

Might be time for an addition like we did with Ryan Smyth. Thinking Nick Foligno (UFA) this off season would be a huge add.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Got a feel from the presser that both Doughty and TMac are directing their messages at different groups of players. Both are fustrated at losing with their hands tied becasue of poor talent that they are surrounded with.

TMac seems to point to the Vets to be better and lead this team, better prepare the young players for more intensity during a playoff race while Doughty clearing is saying the young guys need to earn their spots but play every game to keep that spot.

To me the whole thing is a lack of leadership. I think it's time for a new leadership group to drive the next wave of prospects. Give the C to Doughty and get another D man Vet to help out that undersized, overmatched D-core. (Oleksiak, Savard etc...) And look for that top end LD.

We need a new Vet or 2 that wants to win and shows how hard work on\off the ice leads to success. I hate the whole 5 vets that lead us to the cup will lead the way, that was 7 years ago, it clearly isn't working.

Might be time for an addition like we did with Ryan Smyth. Thinking Nick Foligno (UFA) this off season would be a huge add.

This is increasingly on Blake's shoulders to fix. Team has plenty of cap space and trading chips...no reason why moves can't be made to improve the roster going into next season. Blake should be on the hot seat to ice a playoff roster for 2021-22.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Kings aren't going to win with these guys leading the way. They just aren't.

DL seemed to know that, but he still gave Quick and Brown post-Cup contracts.

No more changing captains while the captain is the captain. Did it once, didn't work, and Doughty doesn't need the C to be listened to. If he's not currently leading the way on the back of his name, a letter isn't going to do anything.

The main reason they've gone on about the 5 vets is that these are the 5 guys, for one reason or another, that they haven't been able to get rid of. Had Gaborik not just been an insurance write off for Ottawa, he probably wouldn't have been dealt either, because who would've wanted that contract for an actual active old player?

Reactions: The Butcher

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Doughty can say whatever he wants. He had a good game overall but him and the veterans didnt start the game so hot themselves. Less than 5 minutes into the game they gave up two goals.
The first one Brown and Kopitar were caught reaching and slacking.
The second one was shorthanded with veterans Kopitar and Iafallo on the ice and a rebound popped out to where? Oh yea Doughtys side thats right.
How about with the goalie pulled and the extra man on the ice. The all star cast of veterans that care about winning so much including Kopitar Iafallo Carter and Doughty. He himself shot it into the the other teams shin guards again and not only could they not score, they got scored on.
I appreciate Doughty this year hes been great but gimme a break with this bs. Guys like Grundstrom and Vilardi didnt lose that game for the team.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I'd rather not go through the debacle of removing the captaincy from an active player again. Certainly not to put it on Doughty's jersey just because he's having a good season. The letters shouldn't really matter anyway, there should be a leadership group that take ownership of the team. Guys like Stoll, Williams, O'Donnell, Richards, Mitchell didn't have letters but they were leaders.

Following the Lombardi mold of bringing in character guys to show the young players the way is probably a good move.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
DL seemed to know that, but he still gave Quick and Brown post-Cup contracts.

No more changing captains while the captain is the captain. Did it once, didn't work, and Doughty doesn't need the C to be listened to. If he's not currently leading the way on the back of his name, a letter isn't going to do anything.

The main reason they've gone on about the 5 vets is that these are the 5 guys, for one reason or another, that they haven't been able to get rid of. Had Gaborik not just been an insurance write off for Ottawa, he probably wouldn't have been dealt either, because who would've wanted that contract for an actual active old player?

So you are ok with the status quo? This is about the future and building a new leadership group. Doughty is the youngest of the 5 vets and signed forever. Surround him with other new Vets and see how the new prospects respond. Maybe one emerges soon and becomes a leader, give him the A. Kopitar can still be the #1 center until QB takes over.

The culture right now is wrong and leadership(or lack thereof) is a big part of that.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Frustrating that Dennis Bernstein asked Todd specifically about Vilardi but nobody has the balls to ask about the worthless vets and the biggest one of them all Jeff Carter.

I was very happy when we signed Todd, but he's showing his true colors of not holding players accountable, and doesn't even switch up the lines when it's evident things aren't working.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I'd rather not go through the debacle of removing the captaincy from an active player again. Certainly not to put it on Doughty's jersey just because he's having a good season. The letters shouldn't really matter anyway, there should be a leadership group that take ownership of the team. Guys like Stoll, Williams, O'Donnell, Richards, Mitchell didn't have letters but they were leaders.

Following the Lombardi mold of bringing in character guys to show the young players the way is probably a good move.

That is what I said though. Start a new leadership group, bring in the Folignos, Savards, heck we need some beards on this team. We are too young and the Quicks, Carters, Browns will eventually fade. Then we are left with Kopi for a few seasons more and Doughty for years after.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Frustrating that Dennis Bernstein asked Todd specifically about Vilardi but nobody has the balls to ask about the worthless vets and the biggest one of them all Jeff Carter.

I was very happy when we signed Todd, but he's showing his true colors of not holding players accountable, and doesn't even switch up the lines when it's evident things aren't working.

Vilardi should be in the AHL. He missed too many games with injures and with this long Covid delay he needs his timeing and skating issues fixed before he can make an impact in the NHL. Let JAD take over that 2nd line role.

If Zegras can be sent back down to "learn" how to play Center then Vilardi should be sent down to learn as well.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
This is increasingly on Blake's shoulders to fix. Team has plenty of cap space and trading chips...no reason why moves can't be made to improve the roster going into next season. Blake should be on the hot seat to ice a playoff roster for 2021-22.
There is nothing to fix. This is all part of the process. The only problem here is the impatience of the fans.

This team has set its course, and it is going to take years to get there. No sense in changing direction now, the pieces are already in place. It isn't going to happen overnight, the badly faded heroes in Quick, Brown and Carter will be long gone. This coaching staff will take them as far as they can before being replaced. There will be more bridge players added in place of stars, so we all better start getting cool with this now. Its going to take a while.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Carter is playing out the string. Management should have seen this coming from miles away, and should have traded him years ago when he had some value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad