GDT: 2020-21 season game 31 LA Kings vs San Jose Sharks @7:30pm 3/22/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
On one hand, I'm with you--loathe to blame a game on the #6 dman when there's plenty else to talk about, like the PP, or the last second.

On the other, at some point, we have to stop making excuses for pucks that end up in the net literally off him when he's in the lineup, and realize the record with him in vs. out isn't a total coincidence, it's a ripple effect. Bad plays add up. Doughty plays 30 minutes to make up for MacD's 10. A razor's edge game where you nearly double up the opponent in shots ends up in two own-goals for a loss instead of a tight win. And so on.

If you're saying you expect to make the playoffs--you can't have that. Personally, IDGAF because it looks like they've grown and will be in the mix till the end, but self inflicted shotgun wounds like this will get old quickly. I would expect more and better if a team were to profess themselves a playoff team. But this isn't the year to go 'fixing' the MacDermid spot.
Its just one goal though. The first is entirely on Quick. The second is a fluke created by one slightly poor decision. The first one was a yip by the goalie.

Fundamentally, I believe fans get way too caught up in looking to blame somebody for every goal. There are very few instances of individuals making poor decisions that lead directly to goals, with Quick last night and Brown the night before being two perfect examples. We cannot expect perfect decisions in every circumstance, its just not possible. The bigger problem yesterday was the attack.

But as far as the big picture goes, yes absolutely the team must improve their left defense in order to reach another level. I thought that Mikey Anderson had a really, really poor game with the puck last night. Whiffing on wristers, 15 foot passes going to players back feet. He looked rattled. One could just as easily assume that his inability to keep offensive pressure going was just as problematic as MacDermid having a puck deflect in off his skate. But we know he will improve and has earned enough good will that nobody even mentions his struggle. MacDermid doesn't have that good will, and he is goated here despite having the best game of the three LHD last night

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i'm not quite sure i understand how it's "beat badly to the outside" when it's macdermid but bjornfot and roy are praised for "keeping it to the outside"

he had to respect gabriel as the one timer threat in the slot, he forced the play below the goal line into a low/zero percentage area without a pass.. that's doing your job as a defenseman. if we want to have a conversation about cutting through the crease there's one to be had but any other defenseman does that and we're all sitting here going "aw bad luck, fluke bounce" and that's bullshit imo

again i'm going to reference the coaching staff and say that maybe they know what they're doing

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Fundamentally, I believe fans get way too caught up in looking to blame somebody for every goal. There are very few instances of individuals making poor decisions that lead directly to goals, with Quick last night and Brown the night before being two perfect examples. We cannot expect perfect decisions in every circumstance, its just not possible. The bigger problem yesterday was the attack.
bingo

0/5 PP

nothing else matters beyond that to be honest

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
was it stothers that tried him there for a game in ontario? i thought that was an interesting experiment but it was only one game if i remember correctly
That is interesting I didnt know that. So they also thought it could work. I dont get to follow the AHL team really though I appreciate the people on here posting highlights this year of the prospects.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i'm not quite sure i understand how it's "beat badly to the outside" when it's macdermid but bjornfot and roy are praised for "keeping it to the outside"

he had to respect gabriel as the one timer threat in the slot, he forced the play below the goal line into a low/zero percentage area without a pass.. that's doing your job as a defenseman. if we want to have a conversation about cutting through the crease there's one to be had but any other defenseman does that and we're all sitting here going "aw bad luck, fluke bounce" and that's bullshit imo

again i'm going to reference the coaching staff and say that maybe they know what they're doing

Hockey is a game of errors. Everyone gets beat, and makes a bad decision. It's about frequency.

If the coaching staff wanted him in the lineup every game, he'd be in the lineup regularly when everyone was healthy, too.

I'll say it again--it's a ripple effect throughout the lineup. MacDermid caused damage in his 10 minutes. And he forced Drew to play 30. Amongst other things. It's like JMFJ's minuses--eventually I don't give a shit WHAT the reason is, the insanely bad record with KM in the lineup will need to be addressed. It could be his pregame meal turns everyone's stomachs for all I care, but when the expectation is playoffs, this will change. Right now? Don't care. Keep it rolling and let him kill people while we blackhole or fringe the playoffs. But that's the kind of guy who will actively lose you a playoff series at some point if not addressed while people keep blaming his ripple effects on the phase of the moon.

But yes, in the small picture, it's a 3-2 league, and last night we didn't muster enough to win 1-0. That's not solely on MacD, but I also don't understand why talking about his issues is like summoning Voldemort, I think I've proven to be an equal opportunity asshole to this whole roster this year

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Hockey is a game of errors. Everyone gets beat, and makes a bad decision. It's about frequency.

If the coaching staff wanted him in the lineup every game, he'd be in the lineup regularly when everyone was healthy, too.

I'll say it again--it's a ripple effect throughout the lineup. MacDermid caused damage in his 10 minutes. And he forced Drew to play 30. Amongst other things. It's like JMFJ's minuses--eventually I don't give a shit WHAT the reason is, the insanely bad record with KM in the lineup will need to be addressed. It could be his pregame meal turns everyone's stomachs for all I care, but when the expectation is playoffs, this will change. Right now? Don't care. Keep it rolling and let him kill people while we blackhole or fringe the playoffs. But that's the kind of guy who will actively lose you a playoff series at some point if not addressed while people keep blaming his ripple effects on the phase of the moon.

But yes, in the small picture, it's a 3-2 league, and last night we didn't muster enough to win 1-0. That's not solely on MacD, but I also don't understand why talking about his issues is like summoning Voldemort, I think I've proven to be an equal opportunity asshole to this whole roster this year
i don't think you're being unfair and i think we're on the same page that he doesn't play playoff games but yeah, we're not there. but maybe he's healthier than strand, maybe he plays the system better. no one here knows, he's in and that's that.

i'm just calling out a general double standard on this forum from a lot of posters who are more than willing to minimize other players' mistakes to the point of not even mentioning them (and ignoring anything that mac does well), but are more than happy to pile onto mac even when it's openly hypocritical. i don't like how it's all the $875k good soldier's fault when you have what, $30M failing to convert a power play, or even enter the zone cleanly for that matter, on 5 attempts.. i think that's a really shitty attitude. he pulls his weight and makes mistakes that are expected for a 6/7D. maybe those goals don't happen if he was just standing in front of quick crosschecking guys but i guarantee this board would lose their collective mind over that the first time he took a penalty for it too. he can't win.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
That is interesting I didnt know that. So they also thought it could work. I dont get to follow the AHL team really though I appreciate the people on here posting highlights this year of the prospects.
yeah i dug a bit but can't find it in the mess that LAKI has become, i really think it was just 1 game or something, they mentioned it passively in an article iirc

Reactions: Schmooley

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I hope Seattle selects MacDermid. That is all.

Okay I lied, there's more. I've been hoping to see Lizotte paired with Vilardi for awhile now because I think stylistically they fit. So glad to finally see it.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

For me, I think it is a belief that sitting him in favor of someone else = playoffs, as if they are that close and he is the sole reason why they lose. Of course, they don't have a perfect record this season when he is out of the lineup so it obviously isn't just MacDermid. I'm not accusing you of any of this, but the venom against him is a bit much. I get it with Amadio because he was getting more prim chances and he offers absolutely zero if he isn't scoring whereas MacDermid brings an element that nobody on this roster has.

He's low hanging fruit because, yes, he is the worst player on the team from a pure skills point of view. When this team was complete trash, the chorus against him wasn't as loud because it didn't matter but now there are a lot of fans tasting playoffs right now so the chorus is turning into a bit of a mob. Then you have those that don't care about physical play, intangibles and especially fighting so then he is a real non-starter.

I love fighting so I'm all in on him; however, I've said time and time again that he will not be getting minutes for this team once they are legit. Well, they are not legit so here we are. I know I'm beating a dead horse here but the roster decisions being made this year do not appear based on trying to win as many games as possible. Shit...the coaching decisions don't either. Development, culture building, implementing T-Mac's system, expansion draft...these are the important things this season.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I hope Seattle selects MacDermid. That is all.

Okay I lied, there's more. I've been hoping to see Lizotte paired with Vilardi for awhile now because I think stylistically they fit. So glad to finally see it.

I'd like to see Lias-Vilardi paired up, personally.

Reactions: cyclones22

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021

MacD is the 7th D on a borderline playoff team. He is not in the team's long term future plans, yet he is better than previous cup winning defenseman like Brooks Orpik with the Caps. It is like complaining about your daughter's 7th grade boyfriend. It is a short term problem that will quickly resolve itself.

Reactions: BigKing

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i don't think you're being unfair and i think we're on the same page that he doesn't play playoff games but yeah, we're not there. but maybe he's healthier than strand, maybe he plays the system better. no one here knows, he's in and that's that.

i'm just calling out a general double standard on this forum from a lot of posters who are more than willing to minimize other players' mistakes to the point of not even mentioning them (and ignoring anything that mac does well), but are more than happy to pile onto mac even when it's openly hypocritical. i don't like how it's all the $875k good soldier's fault when you have what, $30M failing to convert a power play, or even enter the zone cleanly for that matter, on 5 attempts.. i think that's a really shitty attitude. he pulls his weight and makes mistakes that are expected for a 6/7D. maybe those goals don't happen if he was just standing in front of quick crosschecking guys but i guarantee this board would lose their collective mind over that the first time he took a penalty for it too. he can't win.

I wish!

MacD is the 7th D on a borderline playoff team. He is not in the team's long term future plans, yet he is better than previous cup winning defenseman like Brooks Orpik with the Caps. It is like complaining about your daughter's 7th grade boyfriend. It is a short term problem that will quickly resolve itself.

Absolutely. But I'm still gonna clean my rifles right in front of him.

Reactions: tny760 and Lt Dan

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Personally, MacD sending that clown to the room for repairs after he chirped the team in pre-game was one of the highlights of the season.

Make no mistake: the fights in the past few games are very good for this team going forward even if they all featured guys that probably won't be here when this team finally turns the corner. The Kings have six fights all season but have three in the last four games with all of them being a response to some jackassery. This team has routinely failed to respond to cheapshots and/or getting punked but they've acted like a real hockey team lately.

A team can't be successful unless you know your teammates have your back. It's all part of the process and, IMO, is more important than the two points last night.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Tell that to Rob Gordon. Allison Ashmore married Kevin Bannister.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
So what did the sharks coaches get fined for against us last night? we're they barking at our bench or the refs too much?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
it just adds to the chump aura for gabriel, complaining about personal history to gain some moral high ground after getting your ass handed to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad