GDT: 2020-21 season game 27 LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche @2:30pm 3/14/21

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Can't remember the last time I've seen a team play with as much pace as Colorado did to start the game, showing why they are favorites really.

Good measuring stick game to remind the guys of the difference between best in the league and worst in the league.

We hung right in there for the most part. Like the other night, no real complaints, just not good enough. Got great goaltending, good team defense, again not really enough offense though the chances were there. Really missing a guy like JAD today, honestly, to make the depth lines more than just crash test dummies. And Brown for stability. And not bad considering the illness running thru the team and no practices with goofy lines.

I have a few takeaways from watching guys play against the Avs, as some guys showed they could play this game at a world class speed level, and others couldn't.

--Mikey Anderson just removed every possible fear I've ever had about him. He can not just play against the best in the world, but thrive.
--Walker looked completely comfortable considering his partner was a large boulder.
--Bjornfot was not ready for that--it'll be good for him.
--Roy was a little shaky with the puck. Still excellent defensively, but the extra split second Colorado took away left him chopping at pucks.
--MacDermid is the kind of guy that will lose you a playoff series.

--Amadio, Luff are just seat fillers.
--Wagner--I dunno. I feel like if he can just simplify his game and stop the soft turnovers he will be a useful depth forward, especially against a speedy team.
--AA is instant offense. He's the kind of guy who can turn a game when you have no business turning it. I'm hopeful for a short term extension at this point.
--Not really sure what to make of Grundstrom anymore.
--I thought Lizotte was really really good at his role. Moore too.
--Vilardi got better as the game went along, he's a sponge. Dude learns so much every outing.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Not today.

450_1000.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I still wonder what Frk could have been this year?

PP has helped them in most games. Colorado neutralized it in both games.

They had moments tonight where the PP looked like it was good for a goal, though--so at least it wasn't like they totally dismantled it. Just didn't get extra help from it tonight.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, I am not talking about now, and I think you know this.

I do, and I'm not talking about now. Not talking last year, or two years ago. Carter was already 30 in 2015 with 7 years left. That's the exact guy you say don't get. In free agency, and especially not in trades where you're expected to give something up. 30 year old's do not bring back top prospects. You're not getting a 25 year old version for 30 year old Carter, because why would the other team do that? They already have the younger version.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
With the way the season is, if they had to travel in the morning and get there just before the game, they'll probably play it if they can.
I thought the rule was you had to be in the city you're playing in a day before you play the game. At least that's how it was prior. I don't know if they changed it for this season.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I do, and I'm not talking about now. Not talking last year, or two years ago. Carter was already 30 in 2015 with 7 years left. That's the exact guy you say don't get. In free agency, and especially not in trades where you're expected to give something up. 30 year old's do not bring back top prospects. You're not getting a 25 year old version for 30 year old Carter, because why would the other team do that? They already have the younger version.
At the deadline in 2015-16, or 2016-17 would have been the time to move him, and there would have been plenty of takers in teams looking to add some offense to win it all in the playoffs. Those deals were occurring quite often.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
A top 6 Byfield and Turcotte will help this team a lot. A lot more balanced, and a lot more control of momentum is gonna be big for the Kings. Hopefully they are added soon to the lineup.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings just don't have enough of an answer anywhere for an elite team that decides it's not messing around.

1-3 against Col, 0-2 against Vegas. 10-5-6 against everyone else. Not bad. That's when those multiple late game GA that turn into OT losses hurt though. You need to finish those I think 4 games in regulation if you're going to go 1-5 so far against the best.

8 guys in the lineup with less than 100 NHL games. Another 5 without the equivalent of 2 years experience. 5 of those 13 players are defensemen. Can't even be mad. Just not in the same class as the Avs.

The season is likely done, and there's 4 games with the Blues and Knights in the next week. All at home, but it's been a long while since home ice meant anything for the Kings.

Once they get done Vegas next Sunday, they do have 8 of the next 10 against SJ and Ari, but they might need to win all 8 of those games if they don't come up with a huge week.

I agree with most of this, I mentioned Lucy pulling the football when the Kings were on that winning streak, and unfortunately that might be happening now, it's a bit disappointing but not surprising, the Kings have a lot of holes, in particular on the 2nd line. Alot of this has been masked by the success of the PP and Brown, Kopitar and Kempe putting up career high offensive production. Vilardi has gotten a lot of praise here and has made strides but there are many games where he is just a flat out non-factor, Carter should not be playing on a 2nd line on a team looking to make the playoffs, if that is what the Kings want next season they have to address that. Vilardi will improve on his current projections of 15/21/36 (over regular season), Carter likely will continue to regress. If Gabe and Carter were closer to 45-50 point projections and the other guys were still clicking the Kings are probably in a much better spot.

I guess the concern for next season is what happens if Brown, Kopitar, Doughty and Kempe all return to the levels they have been at the last couple of years, that is where the pressure for some of the younger players to contribute will be real.

Reactions: KINGS17

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I still wonder what Frk could have been this year?

PP has helped them in most games. Colorado neutralized it in both games.

yeah, 0-9 in the series. they look great at times, moving it around for the most part, but the avs either blocked the shots or closed the lanes quickly. A few of those are going in against a weaker team for sure.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Can't remember the last time I've seen a team play with as much pace as Colorado did to start the game, showing why they are favorites really.

Good measuring stick game to remind the guys of the difference between best in the league and worst in the league.

We hung right in there for the most part. Like the other night, no real complaints, just not good enough. Got great goaltending, good team defense, again not really enough offense though the chances were there. Really missing a guy like JAD today, honestly, to make the depth lines more than just crash test dummies. And Brown for stability. And not bad considering the illness running thru the team and no practices with goofy lines.

I have a few takeaways from watching guys play against the Avs, as some guys showed they could play this game at a world class speed level, and others couldn't.

--Mikey Anderson just removed every possible fear I've ever had about him. He can not just play against the best in the world, but thrive.
--Walker looked completely comfortable considering his partner was a large boulder.
--Bjornfot was not ready for that--it'll be good for him.
--Roy was a little shaky with the puck. Still excellent defensively, but the extra split second Colorado took away left him chopping at pucks.
--MacDermid is the kind of guy that will lose you a playoff series.

--Amadio, Luff are just seat fillers.
--Wagner--I dunno. I feel like if he can just simplify his game and stop the soft turnovers he will be a useful depth forward, especially against a speedy team.
--AA is instant offense. He's the kind of guy who can turn a game when you have no business turning it. I'm hopeful for a short term extension at this point.
--Not really sure what to make of Grundstrom anymore.
--I thought Lizotte was really really good at his role. Moore too.
--Vilardi got better as the game went along, he's a sponge. Dude learns so much every outing.

I like Bjornfot enough. But I don't see all that much in Mikey Anderson and Roy. As a unit, the Kings inexperience and lack of skill on the blueline is a major shortcoming and nearly impossible to overcome.

I like I'd like a 4th line of Moore-Lizotte-Wagner. But right now it seems like there are 2 4th lines.

I'd love to see Lias Andersson getting more opportunities. Grundstrom seems so great a month ago. I don't think he's suited for the powerplay. Another reason to bring up Lias.
I could go would a 4th line of Andersson-Kupari-Grundstrom. Use them as an energy line with some skill.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Looking at the standings we're pretty much right as expected. The powerhouses ahead of us, the rest behind us. Never expected to finish ahead of Col, VGK, STL--even though STL and Col have been taking bullets left and right they're still lethal. Minnesota is better than expected, yet I thought we'd play them better--but they also just seem to have a Kings voodoo doll. Arizona is just floating around accomplishing nothing but shooting their draft spot in the junk. SJS appear to have woken up a little, but too little too late, and Anaheim just floored out, wouldn't be surprised to see them fire some folks.

I hoped to see improvement this year and I"ve seen it. The last two games looked a little too unfortunately like the terry murray 2012 Kings, but staying competitive against a true top contender is a good step. Plenty of film from this one that they can learn from. The structure and defense is there--the offense was not.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Looking at the standings we're pretty much right as expected. The powerhouses ahead of us, the rest behind us. Never expected to finish ahead of Col, VGK, STL--even though STL and Col have been taking bullets left and right they're still lethal. Minnesota is better than expected, yet I thought we'd play them better--but they also just seem to have a Kings voodoo doll. Arizona is just floating around accomplishing nothing but shooting their draft spot in the junk. SJS appear to have woken up a little, but too little too late, and Anaheim just floored out, wouldn't be surprised to see them fire some folks.

I hoped to see improvement this year and I"ve seen it. The last two games looked a little too unfortunately like the terry murray 2012 Kings, but staying competitive against a true top contender is a good step. Plenty of film from this one that they can learn from. The structure and defense is there--the offense was not.

Agree with pretty much everything. I figured we'd be around right in the middle and I thought if we had any shot it'd be against the Wild, but they're better than I thought they'd be and it looks like the rest of the top 4 are starting to take off. I think these 2 games basically just showed us we still have a ways to go.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Agree with pretty much everything. I figured we'd be around right in the middle and I thought if we had any shot it'd be against the Wild, but they're better than I thought they'd be and it looks like the rest of the top 4 are starting to take off. I think these 2 games basically just showed us we still have a ways to go.

I still think the Blues are the team for the taking. They match up well with them and have a chance to pick up some points against them this week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad