GDT: 2020-21 season game 22 LA Kings vs ST. Louis Blues @6:00pm 3/5/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
It's the biggest difference in the standings really. Those three collapses--two vs the wild and now this one vs. the blues--and being unable to do dickall in OT.

It's frustrating as hell but it's progress. Completely outplayed them all game. THIS year, that's more important. I'll take it. Beats playing chicken shit collapse defense and praying for bounces. The flow of play was there.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. After the initial frustration I am just excited that we are going to the end of games with the lead. That's a hell of a lot of progress from last season.

I also put on the Sharks game and them getting blown out again made me feel better.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Yeah, anther yucky kick in the nuts but lots of overreactions here. If the Kings and Blues continue to play like they did tonight I feel there is really no comparison who the better team is. Bounces went to St Louis at the end there but they were badly outplayed for 90% of this game. If the Kings can learn from these mistakes, bear down a little harder on opportunities, and the refs call a fair game I think they can win some big ones in the second half of the season.

Damn frustrating to watch but the team is still so much better than I thought they'd be this season.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
At least put Carter (who was flying all night) with Kopitar in OT. Its not like they don't have a history of like totally dominating the entire league.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
dvslzXKHoTr5IbmWc7B33WzinuQ=.gif

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The problem with that is it was Kopitar, Brown, and Iafallo who collectively got too aggressive on the tying goal, and it was Doughty with a poorly timed change and Walker jumping on the ice too soon. Not exactly the rookies making the mistakes there.

Doughty had been out there for almost a minute, all walker had to do was wait 2 more seconds, and it not a penalty. Doughty was also so far away from the play, he wouldn;t have factored into anything they tried .

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The problem with that is it was Kopitar, Brown, and Iafallo who collectively got too aggressive on the tying goal, and it was Doughty with a poorly timed change and Walker jumping on the ice too soon. Not exactly the rookies making the mistakes there.

They used to just go for it and were lethal in OT. Kopitar , Carter and Doughty , they'd win the faceoff, wind it up and go, then win it within the first minute. Today, they've become really conservative not doing much at all, almost looking for the perfect spot. They have the same guys, but aren't being allow to just open it up.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
OT lines should be:

Carter - AA
Doughty

Kopitar - Vilardi
Roy

Double shift them every 45 seconds until we light the lamp.

I mean it's just mind boggling that Todd continuously think that IaFAILlo has anything good to offer in OT. He's pretty much a better version of Amadios and that's not saying much. AT ALL. I need to stop watching these games not good for my health. LOL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm a big Iafallo defender and he has zero business being out there in OT.

No one is taking the game to the boards, it's all open ice creativity and possession. Yeah puck protection too and he can do that but no one good enough to be out in OT is dumb enough to let Iafallo crash their airspace with that much room.

Reactions: andys and ru4reals

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
If there is anything I learned from this game, it's that AA is garbage on D. So many times he shied away from contact and the agressive d play to "cover his man". He plays like someone being told how to play, but had no instincts or confidence on his own.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
All the talk about building a team with speed and skill, and ironically they've looked like Terry Murray's Kings recently.

Last 10 games: 2.00 GA/PG (Tied for Best in the NHL)

Last 5 game: 2.00 GF/PG (Worst in the NHL)

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I like TMac as a coach, think he brought some new ideas to help in certian areas but his system does have flaws.
The powerplay is doing fine although we should continue to use the flanks to shoot more and create a low play for another option.

But IMO the flaws are:

Team is too soft, passive. Maybe it's a personelle thing, I hope we get a little bigger at F and D soon without sacrificing talent\speed.

5-5 the team has no possession, at all. Dump and chase with F1 as a forechecker. As soon as F1 loses the puck the rest of the players leave the zone. No sustain forecheck. Basically a trap system. No wonder 3-3 looks horrid.

The PK is ridiculous. We need to apply more pressure on the puck carrier without getting out of position. Seems the whole purpose of the PK is to just prevent the cross ice pass but opposing players find so many seams anyway. What is the point of speed if we can't use it on the PK to close in on players and get back into position. Goes back to my first point being too passive, we are reactive and not active on plays.

We can still win some games playing this way but we aren't dominating the game. Get a lead and trap the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad