GDT: 2020-21 season game 15 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @6:00pm 2/18/21

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
How many games this season would guys like King Arthur (I know he had coffee), JAD (kicking butt at the moment), Turcotte, Thomas, Byfield etc., play with the big club for an ELC season to fall off? I think in the past it's been 10 games but also contract/age is a factor.

An ELC slide only occurs for players aged 18 or 19. That 7-game rule only applies to Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, and Bjornfot. Guys like JAD, Thomas, Clague, Kupari, Madden, and the rest of the Ontario crew can play as many games with the Kings as they'd like. That's why, as an example, Kale Clague's entry-level contract is up after this year.

Kingz4life

Feb 7, 2004
Los Angeles
An ELC slide only occurs for players aged 18 or 19. That 7-game rule only applies to Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, and Bjornfot. Guys like JAD, Thomas, Clague, Kupari, Madden, and the rest of the Ontario crew can play as many games with the Kings as they'd like. That's why, as an example, Kale Clague's entry-level contract is up after this year.
Makes perfect sense. Thank you! Will be interesting to see what happens with Bjornfot since he's earned his place.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
^^ I don't think a username can have that much character letters and the obvious answer is yes. It is out of the question.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Can't say I agree. Part of the success of Kopitar's line is that Iafallo does the dirty work in the corners.

It's why players like Iafallo and Williams do well with Kopitar.

Of the younger players, Grundstrom or JAD may be best.
Everyone does well with Kopitar...

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
What’s the book on Garland? Is he a mouthy punk? Saw him jawing at our guys quite a bit but wasn’t sure if he was writing checks his diminutive body couldn’t cash.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think Iafallo is part of the reason Brown and Kopitar are having such good starts. Iafallo is doing the dirty work and getting beat up being a puck hound so Brown and Kopitar don't have to.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I don't mind them getting a cup of coffee there right now especially this season, but only Kupari has earned even that so far.
According to you the prospects haven't earned the chance to play in the NHL and according to me the vets/secondary pieces of the past 4 years or so havent earned the roles they have been gifted due to a rebuild.

Just a matter of perspective, so you might not agree that some of the best prospects in the world might be an upgrade over guys like Iafallo (and there are worse vets than him in our top 6) but let's not pretend it's not a viable option...

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
Everyone does well with Kopitar...

If that was the case, we wouldn't need to necessarily terminated Kovalchuk's contract, now do we? They would have probably ride that hamster wheel to the ground to get some value out of that one if they think attempting to put him with Kopitar was the answer.

Last edited:

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Anyone wanna talk about Drew doughty being 5th amongst defenseman in points, while the other top 4 are in the inflated north division AND having at least 3 less games played? He is having an impressive season.
Yeah he's still elite.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
If that was the case, we wouldn't need to necessarily terminated Kovalchuk's contract, now do we? They would have probably ride that hamster wheel to the ground to get some value out of that one if they think attempting to put him with Kopitar was the answer.
Kovalchuk (old version and multiple years removed from the NHL) didn't play much with Kopi but I would hazard to guess that his ppg with Kopi was better than Iafallos ppg with Kopi. Throughout this duration with Kopi, Iafallo has actually been one of the least productive wingers that Kopi has played with so it's a pretty low bar.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kovalchuk (old version and multiple years removed from the NHL) didn't play much with Kopi but I would hazard to guess that his ppg with Kopi was better than Iafallos ppg with Kopi. Throughout this duration with Kopi, Iafallo has actually been one of the least productive wingers that Kopi has played with so it's a pretty low bar.

That's interesting. In 2013-14, Kopitar's most frequent linemates were Williams and Brown. Williams scored 19 goals and 43 points, while Brown only scored 15 goals and 27 points. Last year, one one of the worst Kings teams of all time, Kopitar's most frequent linemates were Iafallo and Brown. Iafallo scored 17 goals and 43 points (and Brown scored 17 goals and 35 points).

I know we see our cup years through rose-colored glasses, but especially this year, our first line is playing really well. Fifteen games do not a season make, but our top line trio of Kopitar, Brown, and Iafallo are on pace over an 82 game season for 21 goals and 107 points, 41 goals and 71 points, and 25 goals and 61 points. Now I certainly don't think they'll stay this hot, but we're just about seeing the most prolific top line in LA post-lockout right now.

Long story short, we're actually a pretty decent team. It might finally be coming together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad