GDT: 2020-21 season game 15 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @6:00pm 2/18/21

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Reactions: crassbonanza

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
He was really good when he was on, and he was really bad after the hit. I soured a lot on Richards mainly because he was getting such a long rope to bounce back when his game was absolutely brutal. And when the Kings didn't use the buy out on him it was infuriating.
I liked Richards but unfortunately the Dark Side "took" him

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
They were'nt perfect but the style of game they brought was effective then and probably now. It just wasnt sustainable for the team too keep playing. Speed and flash only get teams so far. Id love to see another dl lead franchise meat grind their way to cups like we did.
And with our grinders we had some scorers, a Solid Defense and a Wall that was Quick back then!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Because it’s a thin line between in the league and out of the league.

Mike York went from being on the US Olympic team to being toast in a couple years.

Mike Richards went from being the Kings second line center on the 2012 Cup team to being one of the worst players in the league within 3 years.

King was fine in his role and scored some big goals. The game changed quite a bit from the beginning to the end of last decade and Kings lack of speed doomed him.

Yep, the average nhl career is 5 years. And hockey players in particular seem to burn out hard like running backs. And as you point out, that era change came pretty swiftly in the grand scheme of things.

Not a lot of room for a player like even prime DK right now, although he would have been right at home in the dead puck era.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I don't understand what the coaches see in SnuffleLuffagus

Dunno, he's pretty large, should be able to throw his weight around. I do have to question his mobility.

giphy.gif

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not quite as dumb as the other thread where 21 year old, just coming back from major injury and not having played much professional hockey, let alone hockey in general for a while, Gabe Vilardi's consistency was criticized at the NHL level.

I suppose. At least Vilardi's a current topic and it was a GDT discussion. I may vehemently disagree with some, but at least it was on topic.

Should we also discuss when people thought Denis Grebeshkov was our best defensive prospect?

Reactions: Eagle Fang

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Had to search pretty hard to find anything talked about in the game, so I'll ask.

How'd Lizzote look in his new role? Stand and Maata stay out of trouble?
Maata has been amazing compared to how he played earlier in the season. Strand has been solid AF. Neither were on the ice for the goals against
Lizotte looked pretty good last night. I think it will benefit the entire team if he stays in the bottom six. He tenacity and D is better served there than in the top 6

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
How'd Lizzote look in his new role? Stand and Maata stay out of trouble?

Wagner - Lizotte- Luff gave up ZERO SHOTS AGAINST in 8 minutes of ice time as a line together.

They missed spectacularly on some opportunities to score but much like the line of Kempe-Lizotte-Wagner they dominated shot attempt metrics while on the ice and I don't care how fun it is to make fun of guys for having stone hands... I'll take zero scoring chances against all day every day.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Finally got to watch an entire game,

Really liking Strand....he's gonna have to go down to get playing time when Walker comes back, but I really like his game right now...

Lizotte looked really good, he's not a 2nd line C, but he is a pretty solid 4th line C with some offensive upside....if he dedicated himself to a pest role on the 4th line, he should stick in the NHL.

Wagner, kid's an enigma, one game he shows a pretty set of hands, and the next, it's Edward Scissorhands, he should have had that tap in, he just brain farted.....

Be interesting to see how long the team takes, to integrate Turcotte, Byfield, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Thomas, etc....

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
Its nice to see a young defense play well and continue to improve.

Its nice to be sort of excited when the third or fourth lines are on the ice.

Reactions: Stimpythecat

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Anyone think iafallo looks good this year? Its against the rules to talk bad about him on here for whatever reason. I guess you can say kopitar and brown are doing well so why mess with that line. But he really has been a ghost and at this rate his next contract should be very team friendly.
Guess who has the 4th most points on the Kings? 3rd best +/-? 3rd most assists? 5th in power play points? 3rd in even strength goals for % (>100 minutes)? 2nd most penalty killing minutes among forwards on the #5 PK team in the league?

I think Iafallo looks good this year. 10 points in 15 games, on pace for 55 points in a regular regular season. Super consistent. You know what you're gonna get every game. Smart, focused, and strong effort. 15 games, zero penalty minutes.

Case in point, goal #1 last night. Gets the secondary assist by doing all the little things and delivering the puck to Kopitar who makes a brilliant pass to Brown. You don't rely on Iafallo to do the spectacular stuff. You rely on him to do every one of the little things that make a team successful.

Last edited:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Guess who has the 4th most points on the Kings? 3rd best +/-? 3rd most assists? 5th in power play points? 3rd in even strength goals for % (>100 minutes)? 2nd most penalty killing minutes among forwards on the #5 PK team in the league?

I think Iafallo looks good this year. 10 points in 15 games, on pace for 55 points in a regular regular season. Super consistent. You know what you're gonna get every game. Smart, focused, and strong effort. 15 games, zero penalty minutes.

Case in point, goal #1 last night. Gets the secondary assist by doing all the little things and delivering the puck to Kopitar who makes a brilliant pass to Brown. You don't rely on Iafallo to do the spectacular stuff. You rely on him to do every one of the little things that make a team successful.
Yea he consistently does the little things. Hes a coaches wet dream. I just think hes missing some of that spark this season that he used to play with

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010

Is this supposed to be impressive?

Iafallo is a fixture on our first line and is getting outscored by his center (19 to 10) and the 36 yr old winger on the other side (14-10). Iafallo gets first line pp time, first line 5 on 5 time. In fact Iafallo plays over 20 minutes a game which is good for 24th amongst all NHL forwards.

The reality with Iafallo is that he does what you would expect an average 3rd liner to do if you gave said avg F 20 minutes a night playing alongside an elite C in all the coring situations.
He also doesn't do all the little things either, he plays on a line with two guys that do quite a bit of the little things.

I got nothing against Iafallo but he is playing a massive role with production that does not warrant it.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Is this supposed to be impressive?

Iafallo is a fixture on our first line and is getting outscored by his center (19 to 10) and the 36 yr old winger on the other side (14-10). Iafallo gets first line pp time, first line 5 on 5 time. In fact Iafallo plays over 20 minutes a game which is good for 24th amongst all NHL forwards.

The reality with Iafallo is that he does what you would expect an average 3rd liner to do if you gave said avg F 20 minutes a night playing alongside an elite C in all the coring situations.
He also doesn't do all the little things either, he plays on a line with two guys that do quite a bit of the little things.

I got nothing against Iafallo but he is playing a massive role with production that does not warrant it.
He is what he is until someone better comes along -- which should be soon. However, he has no business out there with Kopitar in OT. It should be Kopi, Kempe and Doty.

Reactions: Rusty Batch

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
Can we make a rule every time we talk about Iafallo that we can make a suggestion on who would be a potential better ideal player to play with Kopitar and Brown? We keep hearing about on and on how this guy does not seem to produce well enough to warrant being on the first line and very little suggestions. I need more suggestions and alternatives please.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Can we make a rule every time we talk about Iafallo that we can make a suggestion on who would be a potential better ideal player to play with Kopitar and Brown? We keep hearing about on and on how this guy does not seem to produce well enough to warrant being on the first line and very little suggestions. I need more suggestions and alternatives please.
I will second this if you change your username to "All I Do Is Nguyen"

It would be a win Nguyen situation for everyone

Last edited:

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
^^ Good suggestion, but no. The Anguyen92 username with the lobster corgi dog avatar will be the mark I always use in forums. Can't give that up.

Reactions: Lt Dan

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I wouldn't mind seeing how JAD does with Kopi and Brown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad