GDT: 2020-21 season Game 14 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @7:00pm 2/16/21

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Or with the best prospect pool in the league, maybe Blake cuts a side-deal and controls the whole situation making the whole exercise moot.

Listen, Ronny, we've got some real gamers and we don't know where to put them. You're going to need to fill out that roster, so I've got a little deal for you. Picture this: a seven player deal.

One of the fastest players in the league? Check.
A two-time Stanley Cup winner? Check!
A defensive stalwart with some offensive upside? Ron, we've got that for you.
A mature prospect with a quick release? Absolutely!
A warm body? Okay!
A real crowd pleaser? Why didn't you say so?
Grit, determination, and leadership? In spades!

I'll fax over the paperwork right now Ron, always a pleasure.

To Seattle:
Austin Wagner
Olli Maatta
Michael Amadio
Matt Luff
Drake Rymsha
Kurtis MacDermid
Mark Alt

To LA:

Reactions: Token

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Sure. Protect him.

Kopitar, Kempe, Andersson, Grundstrom, Doughty, Roy, Walker, Clague, Petersen.

That leaves Iafallo unprotected, but he's an unrestricted free agent, so Seattle might be reluctant to select him knowing he could walk. I don't think Lias Andersson has played well enough to be protected, but I don't think LA wants to risk losing a guy they just traded a second-round pick for. Besides Iafallo, you're exposing Carter, Brown, Athanasiou, Wagner, Lizotte, Moore, Imama, Rymsha, Frk, Luff, Eyssimont, and Amadio on offense. On defense, we'd be exposing Maatta, MacDermid, Strand, Moverare, Alt, and Brickley. In net, Quick and Grosenick.

If we do go this route, and Seattle doesn't choose Iafallo (again, he's UFA after this season), I think they'd be interested in a few guys: Athanasiou, Wagner, Lizotte, Frk, Maatta, and Strand. I just don't see them picking guys like Carter, Brown, and Quick, but maybe I'm wrong. Gun to my head, I think Seattle picks Lizotte or Wagner.

I honestly wonder if we deal Iafallo for a pick at the trade deadline and re-sign him in the offseason.
Unless Strand turns out to be a flash in the pan -- he gets protected. He's a big RHD that the Kings desperately need. No need to protect Andersson. You protect (obviously based on current trends) Kopitar, Kempe, Grundstrom, DD, Roy, Clague, Strand and another forward or Walker. If they keep Iafallo then Walker gets traded or they keep Walker and trade Iafallo. The big question is how much Blake has to bribe them to take Maata.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Strand, Walker, Roy, Clague are all eligible for the expansion draft.

Odds are good one of them is gone.

Not all meet the exposure games-played requirements, but that doesn’t stop Seattle from picking them.

I must be confused about that last point then, because I'm under the impression Strand wouldn't have enough games played to need to be protected. How is he eligible?

Edit: not sure if that came off smug, didn't mean to. I'm genuinely asking because every time I think I understand eligibility I don't, haha.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You'd be exposing forwards like Anderson, Lizotte or Grundstrom so you'll loose a young forward, exposing Clague means you can keep almost any forward you want in the organisation.

Personally I think they'll take Quick, but again his recent demotion to #2 could be a tactic to discourage Seattle with the image that he is deteriorating in performance

Lol. Tactic? I think you give this organization way too much credit. They hired Willie D. There is no foresight or strategy. Just Rob Blake using a magic 8 ball.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Protecting Andersson is complete sunk cost fallacy.

Honestly Grundstrum too at this point.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
I must be confused about that last point then, because I'm under the impression Strand wouldn't have enough games played to need to be protected. How is he eligible?

Edit: not sure if that came off smug, didn't mean to. I'm genuinely asking because every time I think I understand eligibility I don't, haha.

The eligibility requirements are there to protect Seattle. That rule is in place to basically say "Look, you have to at least expose a couple NHL players". That doesn't mean Seattle has to choose one of those players though. Anyone who isn't exempt can be chosen, but the rest of the league has certain minimum requirements that they have to hit.

For example, let's assume that the only defensemen the Kings had in their entire organization were Doughty, Walker, Roy, Clague, Bjornfot, and Anderson. We know that Clague, Bjornfot, and Anderson are exempt because they are rookies. That would mean that even though we could technically protect Walker and Roy, we would have to expose one of them, because no one else on the team met the games played requirements.

Enter Maatta: we get to say, "What! He's an NHL defenseman!"

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
3 - 1 Kings after 2. Then they lose it in OT.
Sound familiar? ;)

upload_2021-2-16_18-58-42.gif

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
That whole Wild defense is pretty much gone. So that definitely means we will lose. All too familiar.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
That whole Wild defense is pretty much gone. So that definitely means we will lose. All too familiar.

Calen Addison will certainly be scoring his first goal tonight. Will it be first shot, first shift? Tune in to find out!

Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Calen Addison will certainly be scoring his first goal tonight. Will it be first shot, first shift? Tune in to find out!

Hilarious totally forgot there was a rookie in the line up. Book it I say late in the First.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad